LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 26, 2023, 6:12 pm 

Well it's time to start an actual build log, I guess.

I bought this frame that was made by someone here (I'm told) for too much money, but it was close enough that I could go get it myself. That seemed like enough to turn a strong want into a justifiable need.

Follow along with all the problems I've caused for myself at https://youtube.com/@hicostlocost if you'd like to see how not to do most things. The only videos I've completed are engine related, but I've got a few others in the works with stuff up to today.

It will work out, but I've still got a bunch of tubes to move before I can get things really organized and running. I did have a great head start getting a frame that was already complete, so some of my process will be.. different. Feedback and advice is appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 27, 2023, 7:36 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

YAY! A new build topic! :cheers:

I'll watch but I don't log into google/youtube so any comments or Qs would need to be here.
pics!

Looks like you could fit a bigblock under that bonnet with the high cowl.

You said gm A-body spindles which is 5x4-3/4 but it has mustang 17 inch wheels which are 5x4.5.
Some close pics of the spindles may help us figure out what is going on with that. This would be the first build using gm A body spindles that I've seen.

You could start out with the specs; 442, previous owner/builder installed '98 mustang 8.8 axle removed for a miata irs.

How are your welding/fab skills?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 27, 2023, 2:14 pm 

My welding and fab skills are good enough that I feel safe doing the work myself, but I might have to have a couple things bent by someone else. I don't think there's really a justification for a good tubing bender, although I might try the HF roller thing. I fabricobbled the exhaust on my land cruiser, , the titanium exhaust for my v-max, built a gas can rack for the trailer hitch for a trip across Labrador, and have built some other useful things. I need to fix my mini-lathe which has magically disconnected the motor from the chuck, but my mini mill is in working order. I'll get some more pics from the build binder that came with the frame and we'll see if we can't rustle up the original builder to see what exactly was going on. I guess they're not A-body spindles, but they look super old and heavy. I'll follow this up with a bunch of pic posts to give everyone the lay of the land. My fusion360 skills are improving, but I'm so slow that I usually just draw on paper or directly on my bench top.

I hope to give everyone a few laughs and take advice.

I'm sure the frame at its current height could take just about any engine, but I'm sticking with my JDM K24A, S2000 trans, and Miata rear for driveline at this point. A j-swap would be hilarious, though. Maybe some other decade.

PostPosted: July 5, 2023, 9:11 am 

Dave, I posted a comment on your video.

"As someone that has built a K24 engined Locost. Swapping to a rear entry inlet manifold is a good idea. There is a lot more room behind the engine for a good airbox/filter setup. The stock Honda RBC is a very good manifold with a 70mm throttle body it will run great. I built mine originality with a front facing manifold. At my first dyno session, the first think the dyno operator said was "why did you use a front facing setup", it seemed like a good idea at the time. The locost is not like a Miata K swap were the engine is up against the fire wall, there's a ton of real estate behind the engine."

I have a log here on the sire but all the pictures are gone. I have a RBC manifold 70mm throttle body and Water inlet laying around somewhere.

Graham

PostPosted: July 30, 2023, 10:17 pm 

OH, man. Thanks FastG. I'm glad I finally came back and read this. I have an S2000 intake that I've cut and prepped along with the adapter, but I could probably find a rear-facing intake to use if it's really that much better/easier. I'll go find your thread and read through that.

Did you end up with an RBC intake? I have the stock tsx one, but I didn't feel like using it with all the PCV stuff in the upper runner section. I think the later, smaller intake (from the PRB heads maybe?) is a little more compact.

I'm still in early stages, so there's time to change equipment around.

PostPosted: July 31, 2023, 11:19 am 

I found the post about my inlet setup and airbox, but the pictures are missing. I have attached a couple of pictures here.

Graham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 31, 2023, 12:12 pm 

That's very similar to what I was going to do low down in the front corner of my build. We'll see how much fiddling I go through to find another intake or set the stock one back up in there. I've really got to let the idea of making "decent" power go. This thing will probably be 15-1700 pounds, which is still really not much for a 200hp engine to drag around.

I also see that you're using the factory fuel rail. Did you use an aftermarket pump or did you work out the stock fuel pump as well? I have a walbro 395? lph or something like that - came with the stuff I bought. I'm thinking that being able to use stock stuff would be quite nice so I'm not fiddling with an extra fuel pressure regulator, fittings, fuel rail, etc.

Advice is appreciated. I'll have to take some pics and make a real post this week as a real update.

PostPosted: August 2, 2023, 12:04 pm 

Saw your video with 7spot on Youtube.
I'm a new builder myself, started last year, good luck with your build.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: August 2, 2023, 5:54 pm 

tibimakai wrote:
Saw your video with 7spot on Youtube.
I'm a new builder myself, started last year, good luck with your build.

Yeah, man. I'd be happy to meet online to archive and document your build as well. Nothing major, just updates as needed or anything you want.