LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: August 22, 2010, 2:07 am 
Weight watcher

Nope, tach stays as it is... as long as I have a shift lite I'm less worried about having a vertical redline.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: August 22, 2010, 6:24 pm 
Always Moore!

Looks good Moti.

Since you were planning on already doing a shift light, what about something like this to alleviate the need for visibility of the OE dash? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-114906/

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 1:26 am 
Weight watcher

That shiftlite is cool but only gives you the tach readout, the stock R1 dash has more on display plus some warning lights.
What I'm really hoping to find is a nice sequential shift lite a-la F1 with something like 12-15 LEDs and place it right behind the shifter along with a digital gear display (in case I lose count)... I know I can easily find such thing, but the trick will be to bring it at the right (read: low) price.

I'm definitely open to suggestions in case anyone has them as to how to make such shifter by myself.
The tach is electronic, I bet the signal can be intercepted...

I mounted the nosecone today.
Made some simple hinges to tilt it forward which seems to work great, it'll make the access to the front suspension box very easy.
A few stretches of tape made the whole thing look like a car all of a sudden, I'm really excited about it! :D

Moti

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 2:15 am 

Blackbird wrote:
A few stretches of tape made the whole thing look like a car all of a sudden, I'm really excited about it! :D

Moti
It's amazing how the more things you add to the car, the more real it looks and the more excited we get!

I haven't gotten a nosecone yet, but the dash is about 75% and it's amazing to sit in the car... turn the wheel and see the tires move and to sit behind the dash see the shape of the hood/scuttle out in front of you.

I got a load of overtime this weekend and it should cover the costs of the nose, so hopefully I'll be ordering it this week and make it really take shape!

How do you plan to latch the tilting nose and attach the remainder of the hood? I've been toying with either a tilting nose or a split hinged hood so I'm trying to take all the options I find and make some amalgam of them for mine.

It's looking good Moti... can't wait to see how it turns out! Getting near the end of such a long build must be a great feeling! Can't wait to be there myself!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 9:32 am 
Weight watcher

I figured out that a dzus fastener on each side on the upper corners will make it solid enough.
The hood itself will have a large-ish vent close to nose which may cure some of its' tendency to lift as I've read on some posts.

Moti

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 10:08 am 

Great idea with the hinge man. I might have to steal that idea from you :)

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 12:17 pm 

217 Racing wrote:
Just a possible concern you might have addressed already.

Is that bolt simply threaded into that nut? I would think that it would back out under normal vibration.

Maybe a longer bolt with a double nut on the other side, or drill it and safety wire it.

Just would hate to see the nose get loose.... especially at speed!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: August 23, 2010, 4:32 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Moti!
Good to see so much progress on your build, Bro! You are right, it's looking a lot like a car these days. I wish you continued good luck with it, and I'm hoping for a "first drive" video soon!

As to that "F1-style shift light", Flyin' Miata has these-
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=&parentid=&stocknumber=23-96310
which fit the "F1" part, but at $169.95, they aren't exactly "Locost" in my book.
(I sure would like to have one, just the same...)

Any-hoo, keep up the good work! Your build is still one of the best in here, and for sure one of my favorites. We'll be checkin' back in on ya soon.
Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 24, 2010, 1:16 am 
Weight watcher

botbasher wrote:
217 Racing wrote:
Just a possible concern you might have addressed already.

Is that bolt simply threaded into that nut? I would think that it would back out under normal vibration.

Maybe a longer bolt with a double nut on the other side, or drill it and safety wire it.

Just would hate to see the nose get loose.... especially at speed!

KS

LOL!
I was wondering who's going to be the first one to point out the potential problem with my fastening methods, turns out it's you :cheers:
I was too lazy last night to post the entire thing but the nut is actually welded to the hinge, the bolt needs a couple of nylon washers and will get a drop of loctite on final assembly.

Safety wire is a good idea - if you have access to remove it when needed.
I won't have access because of the radiator ducting, that's the reason that I welded the nut to the inside of the hinge too.

Thanks for the link JD, I haven't seen that one before.
I't not too far off what I want but at $170 the cost is higher that than what I want to spend.
I started doing some research on a home made squential shift lite and already found some stuff... this should be a doable thing, it ain't rocket science (famous last words :lol: ).

Moti

PostPosted: August 27, 2010, 1:48 am 
Weight watcher

I recently picked up another miata as a financial donor for this project :lol:
While I have no need for any parts off this miata for my locost, the profits from parting it out will boost the speed of which progress is being made on the locost.

As a bonus, I will keep a few parts off this car for my next project - a street locost.
The crown jewel is a 6 speed transmission off a 2001 miata, these things are sweet!

Moti

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 26, 2010, 11:11 pm 
Weight watcher

I came across a deal I couldn't pass and bought my car a set of serious coilovers, as serious as I could only hope when I started this project.

So, instead of the Koni 3012 2-way adjustables (that I already bought), my Locost will be equipped with Koni 2822 4-way adjustables, meaning seperate adjustments high speed bump (compression), high speed rebound, low speed bump and low speed rebound.
Now we're talking business.
Luckily, I didn't have to pay the $9000+ that a set of 2822s will cost but much much less than that :wink:

I started working on the rear shock mounts, pics coming soon.

WOOOOHOOOO!

Moti

PostPosted: September 26, 2010, 11:47 pm 

Damn!!! Those things are like sex in a can!!! :shock:

AWESOME find!!

KS

PostPosted: September 26, 2010, 11:57 pm 

Jealousy isn't nearly a strong enough word for what I feel right now... awesome find!

95 525i

PostPosted: September 27, 2010, 2:20 am 

Congratulations on an excellent find!

PostPosted: September 27, 2010, 11:15 am 
Always Moore!

You weren't kidding when you said you got some good shocks. Very nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next