LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 23, 2007, 6:09 pm 

The build has begun. :D :D :D
I would like to thank you all for the information posted. Without it this build hadn`t been possible.

The car is based in a McSorley +442 chassis modified as follows.
instead of 1" I am using 1.5 X 1.5" 14 Ga tube. A1, A2, B1, B2, C, D1 and D2 tubes were cut to plan`s length so this yielded a total of +5" wide wise. +4 coming from plans and 1" from the difference on tube size.
Same treatment was given to the height, where the baseline dimension was the H tubes.
All remaining tubes are being cut to length as required.

Chronologically
March April. Pipe cutting. Squared ends were cut with a chop saw, all else with hacksaw.
So far:The last three weeks have seen a lot of action.
Building of the Table, and welding of already cut tubes. so far.
Pictures to follow. :D :D :D
Regards,
Chanoquin.
PS: Please assign sticky

Dec 2nd 09
I havent been able to post pics due to inability to resize.
I´m working at snails pace, but advances have been made.
So far:
Transmission tunnel skins, Back Bulkhead, Floors, all cut to fit, drilled and deburred.
Front Suspension pick ups calculated and welded. I had to split the chassis warping between the front and back, but all suspension points are level on levekl ground and the warping came up to 1/8" on front right and rear left sides. I hope this is not too notorious when the car is finished (I can always blame Crater size potholes on my hometown)
Kinetic Vehicles Nose and scuttle modified to suit chassis. Thanks Jack.
I have cut all the pieces to make my seats, Waiting for charitable welder to fab them.
Pictures below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by chanoquin on December 2, 2009, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2007, 6:37 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Welcome, Chanoquin! Can't wait to see pictures.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2007, 7:12 pm 

Welcome! Sounds like you are building a winner!

PostPosted: January 3, 2008, 10:22 pm 

Basic chassis is almost complete, According to plans, it is a 442E as commented somewhere else. Somehow my mind erased the "E"....
But notwithstanding the fact that I`ve been reading for more than a year, and using SEARCH as much as possible, I still come to halting points that have my progress stopped.
Question 1. Provided I have decided tire size on an availability basis and is 205/60 R15 which will give a rolling radius of 12.34", but I need to define Upper Balljoint placement before I select Wheel Size-offset.
From the Mustang knukles, If I put the upper balljoint in front of the lower, it gives me about 20º KPI. Is this too much? I can fabricate the adapter to have less than that, but the Stud axis on the upper and lower balljoint won`t be in line. Is this detrimental? or is it acceptable.
Once I have this sorted, I can carry on with the design of the suspension.
Once this is done, I can select Wheel size.
Question 2.
I presented the T5 transmission to the chassis, and even that I have enough clearance for it, I would like to have it move a few inches backwards.
To do so, I would need to cut the center section of tubes Q and C and replace with a permanent reinforcement on top of Q and below C.
Would this be acceptable? Once this is done, I can complete the fabrication of the Transmission and Propshaft tunnel.
Finally I can`t find any reference to an acceptable clearance on the propshaft and U-Joints. :( :( :oops:

Post subject: Knuckles
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 9:25 am 

Chanoquin

Are you using Mustang knuckles? My guess is that you have about half of that angle.

The 20* KPI is way to much, You should be in the range of 7* to 14*max. With the higher numbers giving you more self centering.

If you are fabing a new spindle I would shot for 9 to 11* KPI range.

Dave W

Post subject: Re: Knuckles
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 10:48 am 

davew wrote:
Chanoquin

Are you using Mustang knuckles? My guess is that you have about half of that angle.

Dave W

Thanks Dave for your quick reply.
I`ll double check today, but, I measured the angle oetween the nut mounting surface of the lower balljoint to the vertical. Thats why my question about the pin axis being in line. If I can put the upper balljoint in a different axis of rotation, then I have no problem, if not, I`ll have to live with whatever KPI angle is built into the upright.
Thanks again.
AA

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4, 2008, 12:08 pm 

Measure it as described here and see what you come up with.

Post subject: Pictures!!! Finally!!!
PostPosted: January 13, 2008, 1:06 am 

Well, Finally managed to take pics and download to `pooter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 13, 2008, 6:52 am 
[quote="chanoquin"]The build has begun. :D :D :D
I would like to thank you all for the information posted. Without it this build hadn`t been possible.

All the best Chanoquin. Your choice of larger tubes is a wise one since you are using a 5.0 V8 by definition heavier and torquier. You may want to give some thoughts at the gauge of steel you will be using to fabricate the suspension components. Personally I have used gauge 12 tubes (arms)and 3/16" thick brackets.

Good luck, keep us posted with lots of pics.

Philippe

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13, 2008, 1:12 pm 

Inviso tubes! Here I was thinking you were going to be the first Locust Locost builder on the site :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust_%28car%29

Lookin good so far! Helps when the family is in to it also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14, 2008, 2:16 am 

Mo` Pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14, 2008, 5:23 am 
I see you have already lost control of the 7, that's why Put-put is being built first for the wife.

FFR has balljoint adapters avilable for the Mustang spindles. I got a pair and mounted them to spindles then got Tbird spindles 89 to 92 because I didn't like the angles and after reading some of the Cobra forums indicating they provided challenged geometry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14, 2008, 11:04 am 

locostv8 wrote:
I see you have already lost control of the 7, that's why Put-put is being built first for the wife.

:oops: :oops: :oops: Yes, tThis was caused by the change in size of the tubes robbed 1", and the big yoke of the Mustang needing some more space...
But no problem, even as it is a lot of work, and I`m very early in the construction,
I am thinking very seriously (Madly actually:wink: ) that once this one is built, I`ll make another one with Inline four and 1" tubes. 8)

locostv8 wrote:
FFR has balljoint adapters avilable for the Mustang spindles. I got a pair and mounted them to spindles then got Tbird spindles 89 to 92 because I didn't like the angles and after reading some of the Cobra forums indicating they provided challenged geometry.

I`m going to copy the basic design, and modify to suit. to see if I can get better.
One of my previous questions was if the Balljoint mounting stud axis need to be inline or is it acceptable certain angle.
Whichever of the two it is, I`ll have to live with it as I im building with the stuff I have.
Thanks and regards
AA

Post subject: More pics....
PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 8:20 pm 

Picture 1.
Made of 18 Ga steel sheet. This is double assurance. The Outside of the tunnel will be skinned on 1 mm Aluminum (0.040")
Picture 2.
This was added to give support to roll bar hoops, I still don`t know how I`ll triangulate the stays to the back of the car.
Picture 3
After all the hassle, this is my side clearance. I will be using Homemade Transmission and engine mounts. I plan to make them fiarly rigid.
I hope I can get away with it.
Pictures 4 and 5 Show the detail around the Clutch lever area,
I couldn`t find the lever so i didn`t do any trials.
Worst case scenario...???? I don`t know...

Well the pictures show Nr. 1 at the bottom, Nr.5 on top

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2008, 8:48 pm 

Wow, that looks great. It reminds me a lot of a Stalker frame. Pat yourself on the back. :)