LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon's 5.0 v8 Build
PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 2:13 am 
Weight watcher

Car looks great, I'm stunned at the speed that you built this thing :shock: .

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 7:34 pm 

Nice Work.
Phil

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 11:09 pm 

Thanks for the comments.

I think I just set myself a new deadline for getting the car plated. I just got an e-mail from my local track (Toronto Motorsports Park), which said that it is opening its doors on the weekend of April 4/5. They are also advertising 1/2 price on that weekend. The drag strip would be $15 per run and there is all day open lapping, for $80. (Open lapping gives me a chance to test drive my car, off the public roads. Open lapping means that you can drive around the track, it is not competitive, you are not timed and only 2 party acknowledged passing is permitted).

This is only 3 weeks away!!! I don't have too much left on the car, but school takes up a huge chunk of my time. Its hard to focus on school, and work on the car, but I really want to go to this event. I'm not sure if I can make it, because I want my car to be in good condition, and I do not rushed the little things. We will see what happens. School is always priority...

I've almost finished my windshield wipers tonight. They work, but they need a bit of adjusting to make me happy with them. Pictures will eventually come of them...

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: March 13, 2009, 1:08 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Looking GREAT, Max!

I'm particularly interested in your wiper solution. I haven't found much information on this site or elsewhere on wiper installations, so will be eager to see how you do yours.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 13, 2009, 10:56 pm 

Dave, when I wired my car, I was sure to leave room in the middle of my scuttle, to allow for a wiper assembly. This is a picture of the linkages I used to move the arms:

Those aluminum pieces were made myself, and they have bushing in them, for smooth operation. The arm is welded to a nut, and this is screwed onto the shaft, as shown below. A 5/16 set screw is holding it in. (there is also a hole in the shaft, so when the set screw loosens, the wiper wont stop moving)

This is the only way I could think of attaching the arms to the shaft, and I have been thinking about it for months.

I got my washer fluid system hooked up tonight. This is a picture of everything in action:

Exhaust wrap, which I mentioned before:

A closer picture of the exhaust:

A picture of the mirrors, which I made mounts for. You can also see the V bracket which I made to hold my windshield together. This really helps to keep the windshield rigid:

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

PostPosted: March 14, 2009, 2:44 am 

The wiper fluid sprayers are a nice touch... just don't end up hosing yourself down involuntarily LOL :)

PostPosted: March 14, 2009, 11:56 am 

maxlessca wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm Jon. I'm 18 and I am building a Locost from a 1989 5.0L Mustang.
[snip]

Hi,
Could you post the WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface) to WMS dimension of your rear axle please? I have measured a '92 Mustang at the junk yard and the dimensions don't agree with a chart that I've compiled from info on the web. Supposedly the '79 to '93 Mustangs are supposed to all be the same width (7.5 & 8.8") but the 7.5" one I measured doesn't agree with the data I have.

Also, I notice on the picture you have of your rear end and chassis that the shock mounting brackets are turned 90° from the way they ought to be.

The mounting bolts at the ends of the shocks should be parallel with the axle. As the chassis moves up and down (or the axle bounces) the axle links will cause the axle to travel in an arc about the forward mounting points of the links (the axle will very slightly change the wheelbase of the car). The lower mounting bolt of the shocks will in affect be riding on that arc and will cause the shock to rotate slightly about the upper mounting bolts.

The way the brackets are shown in the picture would cause a bending force on the shock. The rubber bushings will allow some rotation but the resulting bending force is really not right.

PostPosted: March 14, 2009, 10:29 pm 

olrowdy_01, were you referencing my original shock setup?

Or, my new one:

When I made the original shock mounts, they were not meant to be used. I only put them there to give me a set ride height. I could only make proper mounts for the shocks after I bought them. The second picture shows the correct shock setup which I made after acquiring the shocks. The shocks that I bought have a spherical bushings, which allow the bushings to move around, which would make up for any rotation force applied to the shock.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by 'Wheel Mounting Surface'. I know its a measurement of the axle, but I don't know what I am measuring. I'd be happy to measure mine for you if you explain to me where I am measuring.

Quote:
... just don't end up hosing yourself down involuntarily LOL

Already did, trying to take the picture, lol

PostPosted: March 15, 2009, 10:13 am 

I got a chance to start making my dashboard yesterday. I think I am going to really like it. In the picture below, my plywood template is shown next to the laminated Ash, before I traced the pattern:

This is after a days work:

It still needs hinges for the glove box, and a bit more sanding before I stain it.

PostPosted: March 15, 2009, 3:35 pm 

maxlessca wrote:
olrowdy_01, were you referencing my original shock setup?

The old one. I hadn't seen the new picture. The new one looks fine. I hope you triangulated the pan hard mount on the axle. Otherwise the new setup looks fine. :wink:
[snip]

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by 'Wheel Mounting Surface'. I know its a measurement of the axle, but I don't know what I am measuring. I'd be happy to measure mine for you if you explain to me where I am measuring.

It's the measurement from the surface where the rim touches one brake rotor to the other rotor. (From one side of the axle to the other.) Also could you give me the offset of the pinion from the center of the axle (or the distance from one WMS to the center of the pinion would do). TNX

Quote:
... just don't end up hosing yourself down involuntarily LOL

Already did, trying to take the picture, lol
Oh well it's just water................

The car is looking good. I really like the dashboard (as in a real wood).
Jon keep this in mind, cars are fun .... but education is more important right now.
_________
Dave, I have some pictures on my website how my Lucas (HORRORS!) windscreen wiper is set up (in the "Build Pictures"). I also have a schematic of how I wired the wiper motor. The motor is heavier than I like but the drive cable etc is very easy to modify to work.

PostPosted: March 15, 2009, 8:02 pm 

Quote:
I hope you triangulated the pan hard mount on the axle.

You bet I did. I was lazy at first and I didn't get around to triangulating it until I had to paint the axle.

Quote:
It's the measurement from the surface where the rim touches one brake rotor to the other rotor. (From one side of the axle to the other.) Also could you give me the offset of the pinion from the center of the axle (or the distance from one WMS to the center of the pinion would do). TNX

The picture below is what I measured. It was a bit difficult to measure with the axle in the car, and the tires on, but this is what I got. It has drum brakes if that makes a difference to you:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 15, 2009, 10:06 pm 

olrowdy wrote:

jon wrote:
The picture below is what I measured. It was a bit difficult to measure with the axle in the car, and the tires on, but this is what I got. It has drum brakes if that makes a difference to you:
OK, thanks for the numbers. I measured 59-3/4 WMS from a '92 Mustang at the junk yard. But I was sort of crammed under the car in the dirt etc etc. So we're close enough for govt. work. :wink:

I have no idea how the guy got 57" WMS measurement on the data sheet I got off of the web. I can see +/-1/2" when you're crawling around under a car but 2-3/4" is getting a little out of hand. So for a book frame (my car) it looks like a Mustang axle is out if it isn't shortened (drats). For a +2 (in width) frame it would be ideal.

I measured a '93 Ranger at the "pre-owned auto parts store" today it is 58-1/4" WMS if it will help anyone. Still a little wide for my car.

Tonight is the first chance I've had to look back at the some of the pictures you've posted. That is one sweet looking car! Except for the sound of the exhaust people aren't going to suspect what's under the hood. You are really going to have fun with that car. :lol:

You mentioned that you are having wheel spin. Do you have a Trac-loc rear end? If not, I think that will be on your shopping list soon. As light as the car is and with the torque you've got you will probably have to be careful with the go pedal either way. Have you measured the front to rear weight ratio? It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

PostPosted: March 15, 2009, 10:57 pm 

olrowdy_01 wrote:
Tonight is the first chance I've had to look back at the some of the pictures you've posted. That is one sweet looking car! Except for the sound of the exhaust people aren't going to suspect what's under the hood. You are really going to have fun with that car. :lol:

You mentioned that you are having wheel spin. Do you have a Trac-loc rear end? If not, I think that will be on your shopping list soon. As light as the car is and with the torque you've got you will probably have to be careful with the go pedal either way. Have you measured the front to rear weight ratio? It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

Up here in Canada, we get snow, and sand is used on the roads to help melt the snow. The day that I took my first drive, was the first day that the snow had fully cleared from the roads, leaving sand on the road. I imagine that the wheel spin was partly caused by sand on the road. My mustang came with a limited slip differential, so that should help me to get traction.

I really want to know the weight distribution of the car myself, but I don't have any easy way of weighing it. I tried to do it with a bunch of bathroom scales a while back (before I painted the frame), but the scales gave very inconsistent data.
I am very tempted to put 2 jack stands in the middle of the car (one on each side) and move them till the car balances on them. This would tell me where the center of gravity is. We will see...

And yes, I will have some fun with the car :lol: I can't wait to take it for a real drive :lol: 8)

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 10:50 pm 

Two days after I installed my windshield, I was horrified to see that there was a crack in the corner :( :

I could not believe this. I went to the guy at the glass store, and explained my problem. He was very informative to me. He said that the frame was too tight around the glass. He recommended making a smaller piece of glass, to allow for some movement in the glass. He also gave me some Butyl Tape to place around the glass. So far, the new glass is fine, but I am terrified that it will break again. I will hope for the best. I did what I could.

Good new! My dashboard is finally done, and my transmission tunnel is covered! :D I made the shifter boots/ parking brake boots myself, out of the same material as the seats. Some pictures for your pleasure:

There is a little spot in front of the shifter to throw things, like cell phones etc:

I plan to go to my emissions test tomorrow. I am very worried. I do not think it will pass the test. (My car hasn't been studying very hard :roll: ) I just need to get a baseline, so I can figure out what needs work....

PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 2:39 am 

Hi Jon,

Good luck on the emissions test.

I see that you've got seat belts in the car now. Are you just using the stock ones from your donor? I don't have a donor so I need to look at getting something and I don't think racing belts are approved, so I'll probably need 2 sets of belts; one for street and one for track. :(

Cheers,
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next