LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 5:24 pm 

What is required to register as a kit car? A bill of sale saying its a kit? Shouldn't be too hard to find one retroactively dated :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 5:47 pm 

JSullivan wrote:
What is required to register as a kit car? A bill of sale saying its a kit?

Basically. I would have a hard time coming up with one, and I really want to do this as legal as possible. The only bad thing about registering as a homemade vehicle, is that I need an e-test every other year.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3, 2009, 6:18 pm 

maxlessca wrote:
JSullivan wrote:
What is required to register as a kit car? A bill of sale saying its a kit?

Basically. I would have a hard time coming up with one,

Know anybody who owns their own business?:wink:

Quote:
and I really want to do this as legal as possible.

Oh. Well, that does make it a touch more difficult. Quasi-legal is much easier.

If you hadn't already been talking to the woman, I'd say just buy uprights or something from a kit manufacturer. Some kit companies sell the chassis plans. Could say you worked off of those :lol:

Quote:
The only bad thing about registering as a homemade vehicle, is that I need an e-test every other year.

Yeah, I'm wondering how I'm going to manage that part. Texas its either everything before a certain date(1968?) is grandfathered, or everything after X years is grandfathered. I might use an old engine to register, get emissions exempt, then drop a modern, more powerful one in afterward or something.

All else fails, I've got family in other states, or I can go to whichever border state has the least requirements, then bring it back. I'm ok with renting an apartment for a month to get the car emission exempt to keep me hassle free!

Post subject: Re: Jon's 5.0 v8 Build
PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:58 am 

I finally have some time to work on the car. School is too demanding of my time. I'm now in my "Study week" for school. So, I can only take about 4 or 5 days to actually work on the car, but I believe I can make a lot of progress.

I added aluminum in the "cockpit", near the rear fenders:

I've also finished making my new a-arms and trailing arms. This picture shows the machined parts that I welded in:

Here are the A-arms being painted:

My goal yesterday, was too get my rear suspension back together and aligned. It required a lot of work, because I needed to compress the coilovers to be able to slide the bolts in. This is how I did that: (At least the roll bar is good for something)
I bought a new 3rd brake, to replace that ugly one that is there now. I haven't installed it yet.

After quite a bit of work, and some scratched paint (just top coat, primer and bottom coat are fine), my trailing arms were in.

Before I put the wheels back on, I checked over the entire rear end, to make sure it looked fine. This is what I discovered:

The Panhard rod would hit the gas tank if I put any weight on the suspension. Not good. So, after a couple hours of work, I need to take the rear end all apart and try to fix the problem. I have no idea why my new trailing arms aren't working right. I will look into it...

Last week, I bought a Daytime running light module from Canadian Tire (daytime running lights are required in Canada, and my mustang didn't have them). Its basically a relay, with a delay. When I turn the car on, the lights turn on in a couple seconds. When I turn the car off, the lights stay on for a couple seconds before turning off. This picture shows the module, after hard wiring it in:

As I mentioned earlier, I scrapped my old "off-road" headlights, for my new Dietz headlights from speedway motors. I just installed them yesterday.

This week, I hope to do the entire brake system, and get my driveshaft shortened. The goal: I want to give my car a drive!! It is so close to being drivable. We will see....

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 10:28 pm 

I have been flying through the build the past couple of days, and last night was a very exciting night. I had my first 2 drives! This is the first one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX-OeblRRHo
On the first drive, my front wheels were out of alignment (Toe-out), which I noticed as soon as I started driving. This was fixed for the second run.
This was my second run, videotaped from outside the car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXXY13efSL8

I still need to bleed my brakes, so I relied mainly on my emergency brake to stop the car. (Hey, it was an emergency. I needed to drive it). Because of this, I didn't drive very fast at all. I barely touched the gas pedal, which was a hard thing to do.
Everything during the 2 drives went perfectly. I'm very happy with it so far. I can't wait to bleed those brakes. The only thing stopping me in broken bleed screws. I have broken 2 inside the cylinders! I had to buy a new cylinder for the rear, because it was not possible to remove the broken screw. Up front is the second broken bleed screw. There is still hope that I can remove it, but I'm leaving it to soak in penetrating fluid for the night.

PostPosted: February 18, 2009, 11:29 pm 

Cool, looks chilly. Sounds great. You have more restraint than I would have...one burnout can't hurt 8)

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 12:34 am 

Awsome Jon! Sounds and looks nice. :cheers: I bet you still have a grin on your face. I had mine for a week :mrgreen: .

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 6:20 pm 

I'll take the time for a longer update today. I never showed pictures of my new A-arms, so here they are:

And, this is my shortened driveshaft (A little too short, but it will work just fine).

This is my adjustable proportioning valve:

I was able to finish my brakes today, finally. It only took me 15hours and 6 trips to the Auto parts store. I ended up replacing all the pads and shoes, and I managed to brake; one wheel cylinder, multiple bleed screws, fittings, and brake lines. I am very happy that the brakes are done. I will probably start on the dash tonight. Wahoo!

Its been snowing for the past day, so the roads are covered in the white stuff. So, I NEEDED to test my car in the snow. You know, to make sure it can handle it well. As it turns out, the car is very good at drifting, but it is terrible at accelerating. I couldn't get any traction. This is a quick video of the only drive that I did today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90B91JY97qk

:7:

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 6:32 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

maxlessca wrote:
I have no idea why my new trailing arms aren't working right. I will look into it...

I'm curious what you mean by this, about them not working.

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 2:51 am 

KB58 wrote:
maxlessca wrote:
I have no idea why my new trailing arms aren't working right. I will look into it...

I'm curious what you mean by this, about them not working.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that after assembling the rear end, I realized my differential was too far back. Enough to make the panhard rod hit the gas tank. The only that had changed was my new trailing arms. As it turned out,when I made them, I made them a bit longer than the old ones. This is why the diff was further back.

I said "I have no idea why..." because I didn't realize what the problem was at the time. After reviewing everything, I realized my mistake, and I corrected it before proceeding with the build.

PostPosted: February 20, 2009, 11:59 pm 

Last night, I was able to start my dash. I made the last minute to decision to make a "soft" dash. (Plywood backing, with foam and vinyl covering). I originally wanted a stained wood dash, but I have a feeling that I will change the dash layout in another year. So, going with plywood and vinyl might be a better choice for now. (I could have gone with an aluminum dash, but I don't like them that much).

I'm trying to finish up all the wiring, by covering the wires in plastic. It feels good to get those wires covered up.

But, I have more big news! As of today, I have a VIN number, and my car is registered with the province of Ontario as a homemade vehicle!
In terms of legal work, I only need an emissions test and a safety done to get plates!! To get to that point, I still need wipers, a windshield, mirrors, covers for the exhaust, a new rad overflow bottle, and a finished dash. All of that would probably take me 50 hours to complete. Unfortunately, my week long break is almost over, and school will be taking up a lot of my time over the next 2 months. The good thing, is that there is still snow on the ground, so the waiting wont be too painful. Pic of the ownership: (I almost want to frame it)

P.S. I found out something interesting today. Reverse lights are not required (In Ontario). They are considered a courtesy light. Thank God. I could not find good looking reverse light anywhere.

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 8:46 pm 

I'm a bit slow on the updates, but school consumes so much of my time, so whenever I have a spare hour, I'm in the garage. Anyways, I bought some white ash to make my dashboard, and I am in the process of laminating the wood together to make my dash. I can't wait till the dash is done.

I started to cover my scuttle a couple days ago. I actually riveted (temporarily) straps to the aluminum to stretch it over the scuttle frame while I riveted it. It worked very well.

Tricky inside corner to get on the scuttle:

I ran into a problem yesterday when I started making the frame for my windshield. I had bought some 1/2 x 1/2" (0.050" wall) U channel from home depot, which is usually used in showers. I annealed the aluminum, made up the roller to bend the channel, and tried to bend the channel. All that I got was buckling.

I posted a thread on this forum, seeking help. I soon realized that my wall thickness of the aluminum was too thin. So, I went to Metal Supermarkets and bought some 3/4 x 3/4 (outside dimensions) 1/8 wall 6063-T5 channel. When I got home, I used a new technique to anneal my aluminum. I used a sharpie and scribbled on the part of the channel which I wanted annealed. I then used a propane heater to heat up the aluminum. Once all the scribbles were burnt off, I knew that the aluminum was hot enough, and I let it cool.

After the aluminum had cooled, I put in in my bender and bent it. It went very well, and I was very happy. The lesson learned; The wall thickness, and the alloy/ temper of the aluminum used for the windshield frame is very important.

I made these little blocks in the machine shop at school. They will be used for my windshield wipers. They will have bushings pressed into them, and will serve as the pivot point for the wipers. (More on them later)

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 8:57 pm 

Wow that looks way better. Nice and smoooothe.

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 8:57 pm 

I forgot to mention that I bought some perforated metal. It will be used to cover my exhaust near the cockpit, so I don't burn my valuable legs entering or exiting the car. I will I bought shiny stainless, but it was too much $$. This is just plain steel, and will most likely end up being painted black.

PostPosted: March 12, 2009, 1:10 am 

Lots has been done since my last update. First off, I finished my windshield frame and I bought safety glass. To fit the 1/4" glass into the 1/2" wide channel, I cut some wood, and used a router to shape a channel, 1/4" wide. This allows my windshield to stay where I want it, and it also allow me to drill holes into the frame, without fear of hitting the glass. I will be adding silicon between the glass and aluminum to seal it all up.
The wood in the channel:

I've painted my exhaust, and make exhaust covers, so I don't burn my legs getting in/out of the car. I also covered my headers and part of my exhaust with exhaust wrap. (The headers took me a couple hours to wrap, because there was no room in the engine bay to get my hands in)

My hood has been made as well. This marked a big milestone for me, because it really helps to finish off the car.

I was happy that everything fit under the hood. The engine is so big, and it all manages to fit!! I'm a little concerned that the hood/ nosecone is too high though. The visibility from the drivers seat isn't the best. Oh well, nothing I can do now, other than sit on a phone book while driving.

In that picture, you can see the side mirrors I installed, which I forgot to mention. I will hopefully be able to finish the wiper system on Friday or Saturday. Once I get that done, I need to make my dash, mount seats/ seat belts, replace my 3rd brake light, replace front turn signals, finish covering the transmission tunnel, wire remote battery cut-off switch and tie down the rest of the wires. Once I'm done those things, I my car should be ready to get my safety and emissions test. Yippee!

After it is road legal, I will paint the car, add trim pieces, and polish the outside of the engine. (Intake and valve covers)

Isn't the car looking sweet? I think so! It could probably use a small hood scoop....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next