LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon's 5.0 v8 Build
PostPosted: March 21, 2009, 9:38 am 

i am just curious, how wide are your foot wells?
congrats on finishing everything up, that must be hard when the car can already DRIVE :7:

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52903#52903
over 12 postings!

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 2:06 am 

Scrubbles wrote:
i am just curious, how wide are your foot wells?
congrats on finishing everything up, that must be hard when the car can already DRIVE :7:

Hopefully this answers your question:
Attachment:
foot wells.jpg

Quote:
I see that you've got seat belts in the car now. Are you just using the stock ones from your donor?

I bought seat belts from a Hot Rod shop. Looking back on the decision, I should have just gone to a junk yard, and pulled a couple out of the middle of the back seat of an older car. That is what I recommend doing.

Today was the day to get my emissions test done. I woke up early and got the car loaded up on the trailer, to take it to the e-test place that I always go to. When I got there, I unloaded the car and went into the office. The second the guy saw the car, he immediately said "I am not testing that car!" I asked him why and he said "Its shop policy". I asked him what the policy was, and he told me "I can choose whether or not I want to test a car, and I don't want to test that one!"

So, a little frustrated and disappointed, I packed up the car and went to another place. The next place told me the same thing. I went to a third, and they were unsure of how to test a Homebuild vehicle, so they couldn't do it for me. I went to 3 more shops, all of which were no help to me. The 7th shop I went to was a lot more helpful. They took my car into the shop, to perform the test. I went into the shop with the mechanic, to make sure everything went fine. All of the mechanics at that shop (maybe 5) were all gathered around the car, asking me questions the whole time. It made me proud to talk of the car.

Everything was hooked up to the car, but the machine didn't seem to be getting any reading from the car. After 45mins of trying to get the machine to work, we gave up. The mechanic told me that his dad owned another shop across town that should help me out. So I decided to go there. Before I left this shop, the mechanic that was helping me, told me about the big parking lot they had behind their building. They told me to go have a drive there if I wanted :lol: I couldn't resist! I invited him to join me, and we ripped up and down the parking lot for about 5mins. Man, this thing has balls!!! (Sorry, no camera was with me, so no video)

After that drive, I went the 8th shop of the day (the one recommended to me by the 7th shop). They were very helpful, and were very interested in the car. They took it in and gave me a test. And.... and.... it passed! To top that off, it ran very clean. I was very surprised actually.
Results:
...................Limit.................Result:
HC................242....................17
CO...............1.92....................0
NO...............2520...................379

I had to go to 8 shops to get my e-test, but I did it, and it passed! This means that all I need is a safety. I will need to find a shop that will safety specialty vehicles, like mine. I will be researching that this week....

Some pictures from the day:

This is what I saw in my rear-view mirror all morning (kinda nice)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

My Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3054

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 2:30 am 

Congrats on passing the drive clean Jon!

Based on your experience I'm not looking forward to having to get mine done. :shock: Luckily I have a little while until I'll have to worry about that and mine is a BEC, so maybe it's a different procedure (?). My brother-in-law is a mechanic. Maybe I should see if his shop would do an e-test and safety..hmmm...

Not long now and you'll be fully legit for the road!! Keep it up man!

PostPosted: March 23, 2009, 12:50 am 

Congratulations Jon, you should be very proud! You built an amazing car.

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 11:17 pm 

Quick update. I spent the entire day trying to get a safety done. I went to a ton of shops, trying to get it done. I ran into many stubborn mechanics, who refused to put their name on a homemade vehicle. One of the shops I went to, took the car into the shop. After waiting for 2 hours, I was called to the counter, and told that there were too many things that the mechanic wasn't sure about. For example; he didn't like where the exhaust was exiting, he didn't know if my bumpers were safe, the seat wasn't adjustable, I only had a 2 pt harness, he didn't know where the lift points were etc.

It took me about 6 hours, before I found a place that would do it. It turns out that this guy built his own car from scratch a number of years ago (A t-bucket). He was really interested in my project. He had no problem giving me a safety. So, I have a safety and an E-test now!!

The only thing left is insurance. My broker tells me that I need an appraisal before I can get the insurance. I drove to 3 different places with the car, and got turned down for an appraisal for various reasons:
1st place: Guy wasn't there.
2nd place: Told me that they don't do them anymore
3rd place: They don't do any appraisals till summer

I then called my broker, and he found someone who would write me up an appraisal. This guy can come to my house. This is convenient, because otherwise, I would have to drive 1 to 1.5hours to get to him. He will be coming next week (Hopefully). It will cost me $150 to get this done, and this guy does a really good job from what I have seen.

So close to my first (real) drive...........

"The decision to build a car is not one reached through a rational mindset. It is a decision that is made because we have to do it! It makes no sense, but neither does love, children and taxes" -Sam Buchanan

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 7:16 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

If they perform the inspection improperly in the eyes of the Ministry, they can be fined up to $500 and/or lose their license. That said, how hard can it be? I found the inspection list:

http://www.ontariolicences.com/ssc.htm

The following items shall be inspected, and the motor vehicle shall be denied an SSC if:

In the body and interior:

a) any bumper, fender or mudguard has been removed or is mounted insecurely;

b) any body part has protruding sharp edges that could be hazardous to pedestrians or passengers;

c) any hood latch or passenger door does not operate as intended;

d) the driver's sun visor does not operate properly;

e) any occupant seat is insecure or fails to maintain its adjustment;

f) the inside and/or outside rearview mirrors are loose, cracked or have any significant reductions of the reflective surface, or the inside mirror (where required) is missing;

g) where required, the seat belt assemblies are missing, insecure, damaged, inoperative or do not function as intended;

h) the frame or any structural unitized member is broken or cracked; has any loose or missing connecting fasteners; or is perforated with rust that could downgrade the safety of the vehicle; or

i) The underbody, including the trunk floor pan, is perforated by rust or damaged or has any opening that may allow entry of exhaust gas.

Glazing

a) any glass, where required, is other than safety glass;

b) any glazing material has exposed sharp edges, a missing part or is insecure;

c) any safety glass in the windshield, or to the left or right of the driver, has been replaced with any vision-obstructing material,
or is clouded or fogged so as to affect the driver's vision;

d) the windshield has any star, crack or stone chip in the area swept by the driver's wiper blade that could affect the driver's
vision; or

e) the driver's window does not open freely.

Lighting and Electrical

a) any prescribed lamp fails to operate or interferes with any other circuit;

b) any turn signal indicator lamp fails to operate properly;

c) any lamp or reflector is loose or missing in whole or in part, or is discoloured;

d) any headlamp is covered with a coloured lacquer or is fitted with any device affecting brightness (e.g. headlamp shields);

e) any headlamp shutter or retracting headlamp fails to operate properly or is not secured in the fully-open position;

f) any headlamp is aligned incorrectly;

g) the headlamp dimmer switch or high-beam indicating light fails to operate as intended;

h) the horn fails to operate or is insecure on its mount;

i) the windshield wiper/washer assemblies and the heating and defrosting systems do not function as originally intended;

j) where originally fitted, the neutral safety switch has been removed or allows the starter motor to operate in any other than the
neutral and park positions; or

k) the speedometer is not in good working order.

"Prescribed Lights" is the phrase used to cover the lighting requirements of vehicles for the purposes of the HTA, and applies to all vehicles, including passenger cars, light and heavy trucks and trailers. "Prescribed Lights" vary with vehicle dimensions and include the lights listed below:

Headlamps: no more than four, and shall be white or amber in colour;

Turn signals: shall be self illuminating;

Stop lights: shall be red or yellow in colour;

Tail Lights: shall be red in colour;

Licence plate: rear plate must be illuminated by a white light;

Reflectors: shall be red in colour, located at the rear and as close as practical to the outside of the vehicle body (most tail light lenses incorporate a reflective lens in their construction); and

Side markers: one on each side near the front, green or amber in colour, and one on each side near the rear, red in colour.

NOTE: Although side marker lights are not required for certification of a motor vehicle with a length of 6.1 metres (20 feet) or less, the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) requires all vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1971, to be equipped with side marker lights.

Engine and Controls

a) with the engine running, there is any visible leakage in the fuel system (the fuel tank does not have to be filled before inspection for leaks);

b) any attachment or component of the fuel system is insecure or missing, including a proper fuel filler cap;

c) the accelerator linkage fails to return the engine speed to idle when the pedal is released; or,

d) the power steering belt is defective, incorrectly adjusted or missing.

Exhaust System and Manifolds

a) any exhaust component is missing or mounted insecurely;

b) any exhaust leakage is present, other than from the manufacturer's drain holes;

c) any exhaust component is within the occupant compartment, or is so located or unguarded that any occupant may be burned
by entering or leaving the vehicle; or

d) the exhaust system has been shortened or modified from original, so as to fail to direct the exhaust beyond the underbody of
the occupant compartment or luggage compartment.

NOTE: Although emission control devices are not required to be inspected for the purpose of issuing an 550, the motor vehicle will be in violation of the Environmental Protection Act if any component of the emission control system is inoperative, defective, has been removed, or fails to function as intended.

Trailer Hitch

a) any trailer hitch or attachment is damaged, excessively worn or insecure as to affect its proper operation; or,

b) any trailer hitch lock assembly fails to operate as intended.

Steering and Suspension

a) any visible leakage of fluid is present in the power steering system or the reservoir fluid level is too low;

b) the steering column, box or couplings are excessively worn or loose on their mountings, or parts are missing or loose;

c) any steering linkage joint is worn or loose;

d) any steering system, or suspension locking device or clamp is missing, loose or worn so as to affect its proper operation;

e) the front wheels are visibly out of alignment;

f) the front wheels fail to turn from full right to full left freely;

g) free movement of the steering wheel exceeds manufacturer's limits;

h) the power steering system does not operate as intended;

i) any component, or attachment of the suspension system, or its supports, is excessively worn, corroded, broken, bent,
cracked, loose, disconnected or missing;

j) the front or rear axles are tracking improperly so as to affect handling the vehicle;

k) any ball joint is worn beyond manufacturer's limits; or

I) any wheel or axle bearing is excessively worn, loose or damaged.

Wheels and Tires

NOTE: Only those wheels/tires installed on axles are inspected.

a) any wheel-retaining device is worn, defective, loose or missing;

b) any wheel is cracked, excessively bent or has been repaired by welding;

c) any wheel spoke is loose, broken or missing;

d) tire shows any exposed cord;

e) any abnormal bump, bulge or knot is present;

f) any tire makes contact with any vehicle component;

g) any tire bears the markings "not for highway use" or "farm use only";

h) any tire is worn beyond the minimum allowed tread depth; e.g. built-in wear bar indicators are showing on two adjacent major tread grooves at three equal spacings around the circumference of the tire;

i) any tire is of a smaller size than vehicle manufacturer's specified minimum size;

j) any mixture of 50 to 60 series are installed on the front axle and any other series on the rear;

k) any tire differs in construction type from any other tire on the same axle; or,

I) except on a vehicle fitted with dual rear tires, any mixture of radial tires are on the front axle and belted-bias or bias ply tires
are installed on the rear axle.

Brakes

a) any fluid or vacuum leakage is present in the braking system;

b) the brake fluid in the brake master cylinder is below the manufacturer's recommended minimum level;

c) any brake tubing has heavy corrosion scaling;

d) any vacuum or hydraulic hose or tube is damaged, insecure, missing or chafes against any part of the vehicle;

e) with the foot brake applied, the brake pedal moves toward the floor;

f) the brakes, including the parking brake, are not adjusted properly;

g) any brake, including the parking brake, fails to release immediately when the pedal or lever is released;

h) any mechanical, vacuum or hydraulic component is missing, cracked, loose, badly worn, seized or damaged so as to affect
its operation;

i) any hydraulic component is leaking fluid;

j) with the motor running and the brake pedal applied, the brake failure warning light comes on;

k) with the vacuum depleted from the power brake (by depressing the brake pedal three or four times), the motor shut off and
the brake pedal depressed, the pedal fails to move momentarily towards the floor when the motor is started;

I) any brake drum or rotor is worn beyond the manufacturer's limits, or the friction surfaces

are damaged mechanically other than from normal wear;

m) any brake rotor cooling fin is cracked or broken;

n) any bonded brake lining is thinner than 1.5 millimeters (1/16 inch) at its thinnest point;

o) any riveted brake lining is thinner than 0.8 millimeters (1/32 inch) at its thinnest point;

p) any brake lining is broken or loose on its shoe or pad;

q) any brake lining is contaminated;

r) any wheel hub seal, axle seal or oil retainer is missing or leaking;

s) the parking brake does not hold properly and release fully;

t) where originally fitted, the dual-circuit brake warning lamp fails to operate as intended; or,

u) on the road test, the braking system does not brake evenly or stop the vehicle within the required distance.

Some of the standards contained in this PAGE rely on the mechanical experience and sound judgment of the inspection mechanic, based on the inspection standards as set down in the Highway Traffic Act.

J under steering is rediculous.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... e.htm#BK13

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 8:53 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Quote:
There is a little spot in front of the shifter to throw things, like cell phones etc:

Ooooohhh... Me likee! Me steelee and act like me smartee! :twisted:

-dave "international man of IP theft" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 9:56 am 

Quote:
Ooooohhh... Me likee! Me steelee and act like me smartee!

You will be steeling from a thief. I stole the idea from Rod :roll: lol

Quote:
If they perform the inspection improperly in the eyes of the Ministry, they can be fined up to $500 and/or lose their license. That said, how hard can it be? I found the inspection list:

http://www.ontariolicences.com/ssc.htm

I saw that before. I followed everything needed for my car. Mechanics are just scared to put their name on something unfamiliar to them. I'm just glad to have my papers.

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 1:48 pm 

I just got my appraisal for my car, which was the only thing that was left before I can get insurance/ plates for my car. I just got back from my broker's office, and he isn't there. His secretary didn't know if he would have time to see me before the end of the day, because he had a meeting later in the afternoon. We have previously completed the paperwork, I have already signed for the insurance. All I need to do is pay for it, then I can get my papers. My broker is the only one who can complete this (his secretary cannot). I'm sitting here, waiting for the phone to ring, to hear my broker telling me to come in. If I can't get this done today, I may have to wait until next Tues, when I can get off school early enough to go back to his office. The anticipation is killing me.....

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 7:35 pm 

YEAH!! The car is officially insured, and plated. I've put 60km on the car this afternoon, and it runs great! I'd love to drive it more, but hmwk comes first....

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 8:53 pm 

congrats! you must be very proud! :thmbsup: :yay: :drive: :7: :zoom:

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52903#52903
over 12 postings!

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 9:41 pm 

Congrats! 15 months and 7 days since you started this thread. I dont know when you started building though.

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 10:32 pm 

I started my build on Sept 12, 2007, and have it on the road today, March 31, 2009. So, that's 17 months, 19 days (~530days). I've logged every hour that I have been in the garage so far, and its about 550 hours. That does not include all the time spent on this forum, time spent looking for parts, designing things etc. And funny enough, it equals about 1 hour of work a day.

I am not done this car yet. I am not happy leaving it the way it is. First, I plan to make doors and get a soft top made for it. I will start this once I am done exams (end of April). Secondly, I may put a small scoop on the hood. One which faces the rear, to allow the hot air inside the engine compartment to escape. Lastly, all the aluminum body will be painted. I don't know what color I want at the moment, but I am leaning towards blue. I will figure this out when it gets a bit warmer.

Oh, and I will probably need a heater of some kind, when I have the top made, so the windows don't fog up.

****Anyone who is willing to drive to my house in Guelph, ON is welcome to see my car and have a ride in it.**** As long as I have a couple days notice.

I may make a video sometime in the next week, but I don't have a good way to mount the camera at the moment. (And I don't like when friends hold the camera. It usually turns out bad for me)

My favorite picture so far:

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 10:41 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

maxlessca wrote:
...I don't have a good way to mount the camera at the moment. (And I don't like when friends hold the camera. It usually turns out bad for me)

Haha, sounds like there's a story there.

Congratulations on getting it on the road - kind of like walking out of final exams the last day of school, huh? Just be wary of it and respect it while you learn its traits; it's got more than enough power to get yourself in a world of hurt - or jail.

PostPosted: March 31, 2009, 10:46 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

YOU ROCK, MAX!!!

:hail: :headbang: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :hail: :hail: :drive: :cheers: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :hail: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree::hail: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :yay: :drive: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :hail: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :drive: :hail: :cheers: :thmbsup: :agree: :yay: :drive: :yay: :drive: :cheers: :hail:
:zoom:

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next