LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: April 10, 2011, 8:40 am 

I will be at the Toledo tour co-driving with William Loring in his G Stock Celica. See you all there!

Info on Del's Jeep Project can be found here:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCCA-DMOD-EMOD/?yguid=217196608

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: April 10, 2011, 11:30 am 

Dell posted some pics in the Yahoo group gallery.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCCA-DMOD ... 5/pic/list

It's really a Locost with a Jeep body to take advantage of the aero allowances in D-Mod/E-Mod. I'm guessing it will look more like a Can-Am car than a Jeep when it's done.

PostPosted: April 11, 2011, 1:53 pm 

Here's a picture he posted a while ago to the D&E Mod yahoo group list.
Attachment:
jeep.jpg

Started out as some sort of sprint car I think, and has morphed.
Attachment:
pre-jeep.jpg

It should definitely be interesting to watch.

--JOsh

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 6:20 pm 

2/3 or 3/4 Stock Car chassis (roller), I wanna say it was a Baby Grand like this one. Turbo 4 cyl from a Cobalt/Solstice is going in the passenger seat.

Jeff

PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 10:40 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey, thanks for the pictures, gentlemen! Love the "Jeep nose" in that one picture!!! Del always seems to come up with cool ways to make things fit the rule book. Love the ingenuity.

OK, Loco, you can have your build log back now... Pardon the interruption!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 29, 2011, 4:28 pm 

Dang! I'm at the bottom of page 2 on the Builders Log! Better get back on it. :oops:

Autocross season is just about over. No excuses. Need to drive my Seven in D Mod next year.

Many thanks to my co-driver the past few seasons. William Loring took 1st in G Stock at the Solo Nationals this year. Now I don't feel so bad getting beat by him every weekend in his own car. I am getting closer. :twisted:

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: September 29, 2011, 8:05 pm 

More sheet aluminum. Sides and tunnel done. Need to do a cover for the 3 link protrusion. The only panels that are fix permanantly will be the main side panels shown rear bulkhead and rear boot quarter panels. The center boot and all other panels will be quick fasteners of variuos types. These cars are small enough I need to get to everything easily between events.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: September 29, 2011, 9:21 pm 
Always Moore!

locofinn wrote:
Need to drive my Seven in D Mod next year.

Yes, yes you do. ;)

PostPosted: September 30, 2011, 6:38 pm 
We are Slotus!

a.moore wrote:
locofinn wrote:
Need to drive my Seven in D Mod next year.

Yes, yes you do. ;)

Yep, what he said!
Looking good, Loco! Keep after it, we'll see ya on track soon!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 3, 2011, 7:25 pm 

Started on the dash panel this past weekend. The big hole is for the tach. Basic 1/8" thick 5052 aluminum plate covered in 3M DiNoc faux carbon fiber film to cut down on glare and add to the coolness factor. Does not look too cheesy. :lol:

Also mounted the seat in the final position. It all fits me and any other 5'-10" 190lb driver very well. I spent a lot of time trying to get this part right and make sure I can hit all the switches and see the gauges while I'm fully strapped in a 5 pt harness. It has to fit like a running shoe for me to run fast laps.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 3, 2011, 9:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Loco-
That dash looks good! Jeff Underwood did his dash in Di-Noc as well. How is that stuff to work with? Is it a "wrap" kind of stuff put on with a heat gun or is it adhesive backed? I might do that same kind of treatment on mine!

Keep after it, car is looking really good and starting to look complete! Keep us posted...
JDK

PostPosted: October 3, 2011, 10:32 pm 

The 3M stuff is very easy to work with. It has an adhesive backing and I just spray a little wetting solution on the back and used a plastic decal blade to work out the bubbles. It was a cold day Sunday and it was still easy to apply to a flat panel. The stuff seems fairly durable also. Better than some of the other vinyl products I've seen. Also looks pretty good up close. The stuff is a bit pricy but eBay has some deals on smaller pieces. I bought a 12" x 48" piece for $19 including shipping. Worth it I suppose.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 4, 2011, 7:41 am 

Day-um! That looks great.

Your car is looking too good to thrash around a track.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 8, 2011, 5:38 pm 

Starting on the rear quarter boot panel. First time I have ever annealed aluminum. The panels are .040 and I used a propane torch. Works pretty easily. This was a lot easier making separate panels for the rear. The middle panel will be removabe.

I also decided to brighten things up a bit. The roll hoops as well as all fenders and nose will be bright red. The rest of the panels will be natual finish.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: November 6, 2011, 11:33 am 

Bodywork conitnues. I fabricated a firewall out of 1/8" 5052 hard aluminum plate and attached it to the upper removable transmission tunnel brace. Then fabbed a removable scuttle out of .040 that rests on the dash plate and fire wall plate. This will be held in place by Duzs fasteners. This will allow me to use a smaller hood section for the engine compartment that is independently removable. The removable scuttle will allow access to pedals and rear engine compents like the starter, accusump, and inspect the scattersield blanket fairly quickly. I will cover the upper transmission tunnel with a removable panel to effectly seal off the engine/tranny area from the passenger area. Anything attached to the firewall pate will be easily removable for engine changes.

The biggest thing I've learned working with sheet metal is patience......and lots of bandaids.

Link to my build log:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next