LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: June 26, 2014, 9:39 am 

Sucks about the engine, but hey....
I just looked at your video. Our driving styles are identical. You drive nice and smoothly like a racer. Seems like the fast autocross guys do far more sideways motoring than I can get my head around.
I should get back out there and keep trying.
Anyway, I am sure your engine conversion will be great.
Paul

PostPosted: June 27, 2014, 11:04 am 

My smoothness is the reason my co-driver usually beats me. He is a two-time SCCA National Solo Champion in 2011 & 2012. This could also account for my frequent 2nd place trophies. Anyway, he did a Skip Barber driving school a year ago so he could do Cannonball One Lap of America track venues. Interestingly enough the instructors noted the fact that he, like most autocrossers, had fast hands which caused issues on road racing tracks. He frequently ended up backwards in the Formula Mazda cars at the school. Slow hands are better for racers. We also figured out this is the reason I beat him in the wet or low traction venues. I'm smooth and quick in the wet and on the road courses. I have to work on the quick hands to pick up more trophies.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: June 27, 2014, 1:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

At my first track event (at VIR, no less!) I was struck by how slowly things happened on-course. Car was moving much faster overall and cornering speeds were higher, but the steering inputs and mostly the braking were started more slowly and held longer. I'm not putting this well, I don't think, but you are correct the "slow hands" and smoother (i.e. slower) transitions work on the race track. It's sort of like autocross is one brutal transition after another and it requires you be able to manhandle the car thru all the "upsets" while track driving is more about NOT upsetting the car. Still not expressing this well. It really is a different skill set. (Not that I have either... But at least I recognize them...)

Maybe I should just say "I agree with both you guys!" and stop there.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 27, 2014, 2:11 pm 

Definitely two different skill sets. Having done both autocross and track events for the better part of the last 40 years, I have determined I have neither skill set, but may be somewhere in between.

PostPosted: June 27, 2014, 2:36 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
At my first track event (at VIR, no less!) I was struck by how slowly things happened on-course. Car was moving much faster overall and cornering speeds were higher, but the steering inputs and mostly the braking were started more slowly and held longer. I'm not putting this well, I don't think, but you are correct the "slow hands" and smoother (i.e. slower) transitions work on the race track. It's sort of like autocross is one brutal transition after another and it requires you be able to manhandle the car thru all the "upsets" while track driving is more about NOT upsetting the car. Still not expressing this well. It really is a different skill set. (Not that I have either... But at least I recognize them...)

Maybe I should just say "I agree with both you guys!" and stop there.

Your first track day at VIR. :mrgreen: Envy

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 6, 2014, 7:58 am 

Is the project at a standstill?
I have patiently (until now) checked in for updates since June. ;-)

PostPosted: October 6, 2014, 8:47 am 

Life is getting in the way. I will likely resume refit this winter and hope to be on track next summer.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 6, 2014, 10:14 am 

the old addage in my motorcycle racing days. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

PostPosted: October 6, 2014, 3:22 pm 
We are Slotus!

locofinn wrote:
Life is getting in the way. I will likely resume refit this winter and hope to be on track next summer.

Doncha just hate it when that happens? Well, maybe not, depends on the reason... :mrgreen:
But anyway, I'm sure we all can relate. Keep us posted on your progress, whenever it commences!
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 7, 2014, 12:39 am 

Wasn't the T-50 behind a 125hp 4age? Do you have to beef it up to take all that HP?

PostPosted: October 7, 2014, 7:40 am 

toylocost wrote:
Wasn't the T-50 behind a 125hp 4age? Do you have to beef it up to take all that HP?

I'm using the BW T-5. Big difference from a Toyota T-50. If it will handle a V8 then I will have no problem with the proposed motor.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 7, 2014, 9:49 am 
The voice of reason

Locofinn, I'd like to see dimensions on those spindles when you get a set in hand. Rad used those in his build I believe.

They seem to be one of the only aftermarket choices I like. I see some steel units on oval track sites that appear good, but they have different heights for the left and right sides. I wonder if you could get some made the same height...

PostPosted: October 7, 2014, 10:42 am 

Look here. Same left or right.

http://store.uslegendcars.com/site/depa ... 34A0874BC2

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 7, 2014, 10:59 am 
Toyotaphobe

I've often wondered if those are sturdy enough for our cars.

I have trouble imagining all the forces on a spindle since it's the force point of all the weight and all the pressures from the tires. To me it seems the larger spindles shouldn't be able to handle it much less a smaller one. Of course I know I'm wrong since obviously they ARE working, but cutting it down even further makes me wonder at what point have we gone too far.

The Legends cars are designed to run on dirt which doesn't have nearly the coefficient of friction of asphalt or concrete. Or at least that's the only places I've seen them run.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 7, 2014, 11:27 am 

Legends cars weight the same my car at 1,300# with driver. A buddy in our region is running an ex Legends car in B Mod at Peru and Lincoln where rough concrete grip is superb with no issues what so ever.

If you car weighs more, then I would confirm design. For a D Mod car with driver. It would be spot on in my opinion.

Link to my build log:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next