LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: August 17, 2016, 8:38 am 

carguy123 wrote:
Boy a backfire could be interesting!!

I would notice it. I wonder if it is much if an issue in a turbo??

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: April 26, 2017, 1:41 am 

How's the swap coming? Hope all is well

PostPosted: May 16, 2017, 7:58 am 

I just got the tune equipment last week. I hope to fire it up on Memorial Day. I post an update soon.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 12:23 pm 

It is alive. Fired up the motor last night with my tuner. No flames, no smoke, only small leaks and all data looks really good. My tuner is working on a performance tune this week and I need to get it on track before the snow flies to see if the rest of the fit up works. This only took 4 years to get this re-engineered and rebuilt. Very happy so far.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 7:52 pm 

Congratulations on getting her running!

I drove the Jeep J2 at Nationals with Chris Kunkel which I'm sure you know has the same engine and that thing flew. Our tuner said it wasn't making full power either as the engine is designed to be all about economy so it takes a lot to overcome everything. The tuner drives a Sonic (I think) and without the 33mm restrictor he is pushing well over 300WHP.

The nice thing with the turbo is you have a more tuning options than you do with the NA alternative.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: October 22, 2017, 7:24 pm 

Got the Super Seven Mk2 version on the scales. After about 1/2 hour of tweaking I dialed it in well with driver, helmet and very light fuel load.

LF=363, RF=349
LR=392, RR=379
Total Weight with Driver = 1,483 (1,420 DM Class Minimum)
Front =48%
Rear =52%
Cross Weights = Dead on at 742/741

Weight less driver is at 1,278 lbs and I'm very happy at this point knowing I have a pretty stout chassis design compared to most other Sevens. The car lost a net 40 lbs in this current 1.4Turbo configuration over the 12A rotary version. I was pleasantly surprised. I should be able to loose enough weight with future battery, wheel, brake and suspension upgrades to cover the additional aero bodywork I have yet to add and stll keep me pretty darn close enough to Class minimum.

I did not do the CG calculation. Maybe do that at t later time.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: March 23, 2018, 3:13 pm 

Continuing on aero improvements, I added a removable rear diffuser.

I took three 24" x 24" x 1/8" sheets of ABS plastic sheet. Made three typical "tunnels" 14" wide by 24" long by cutting the sheets, heating the plastic and bending the sides. Glued the vertical strakes with ABS cement. I then added 10" x 42"x .060 aluminum sheet to transition from the floor of the car to the 24" long diffuser. I used Ludwig (panel) clips to slip in the aluminum leading edge of the diffuser assembly and attach at the floor. For the back I use extruded 2"x2"x 1/16" aluminum fastened with rubber tee straps. The finished diffuser is the full 42" width of the the "book" chassis. I can take off the entire diffuser assembly in about 3 seconds. It is easy to reinstall install without lifting the car in about 10 seconds. Very secure also. Total cost of materials is about $65 US including rivets and all. I figure the ABS will hold up and retain shape better than aluminum for off-track excursions or road debris.

New rear fenders, adjustable rear spoiler and front air dam with splitter is next. Stay tuned. I have money and time finally.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: March 31, 2018, 1:42 pm 

That is an awesome rear diffuser! Nicely done sir.

PostPosted: May 24, 2018, 3:24 pm 

Rear adjustable spoiler and new 15" wide fenders to cover my bigger race tires.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: May 24, 2018, 3:29 pm 

Starting on front splitter. This will be part of a whole new front end held on by 4 QD pins. I will have to remove the splitter/front assembly as well as the rear diffuser to load and unload the car from the trailer.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: May 24, 2018, 9:19 pm 

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. It's something on the list of things for me to do.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: May 28, 2018, 4:39 pm 

Front aero mostly done. I included some pic of the framing. It is held in by 4 pins. I still need to add end plates on the splitter.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: May 28, 2018, 8:24 pm 

Looking good. Welcome to limited aero. With the extra front downforce and the wider rear tires there may not be much change in the balance. But, all that new torque is going to be thrilling. :D

PostPosted: May 29, 2018, 12:53 pm 

Looks like a chipmunk with stuffed cheeks!

Nice work.

PostPosted: May 29, 2018, 1:59 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
Looks like a chipmunk with stuffed cheeks!

Nice work.

Indeed. Not graceful but trying to make a brick aerodynamic has it's challenges within the SCCA rules. :lol:

Link to my build log:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next