LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: November 7, 2011, 1:36 pm 
Always Moore!

Very nice work. I like how you did the dash - looks super easy to work on.

I like the red cage structure. Nice color choice.

PostPosted: November 7, 2011, 6:16 pm 

I also going with red fenders. You inspired me.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: November 27, 2011, 6:43 pm 

Took me 8 hours to design and fab rear wing from .040 pre painted aluminum. Cheap , about $35.00 per assembly and it weighs just over 4.25 lbs. I will fab a cone catcher bar for the front of the wing and a rear spoiler will run across the entire back of the car and fenders to give added support. The other side should be a lot quicker.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: November 27, 2011, 9:00 pm 
We are Slotus!

yo, Loco!
Looks good! And light weight, very cool! I've also been planning to use a bent piece of aluminum as a spoiler and to tie the fenders and rear deck together across the top. If both of us thought of it, it must be a great idea!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 27, 2011, 9:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I'm confused, do you mean wing or fender? The pics say you mean fender.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 27, 2011, 9:14 pm 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
I'm confused, do you mean wing or fender? The pics say you mean fender.

In "Brit-Speak", the "wing" is what we Yanks call a "fender." That's what I took it to mean... I know Loco ain't British (or is he?), but the car is... Sort of...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 27, 2011, 11:54 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I immediately thought of the Brit wing, I even checked his location to see if he was a Brit. but when you started talking about a real wing in your reply that's when I got confused.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 28, 2011, 9:56 am 

fenders = wings, i guess. I will stick to North American terminology. :lol:

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: November 28, 2011, 9:57 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
yo, Loco!
Looks good! And light weight, very cool! I've also been planning to use a bent piece of aluminum as a spoiler and to tie the fenders and rear deck together across the top. If both of us thought of it, it must be a great idea!

JDK

I give credit to Del Long's previous D Modified YC-3 creation for the idea. Great minds think alike anyway. :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: November 28, 2011, 10:04 am 
We are Slotus!

locofinn wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
yo, Loco!

I give credit to Del Long's previous D Modified YC-3 creation for the idea. Great minds think alike anyway. :wink:

Wow! Del Long, you and me, in the same sentence, and having the same kind of idea!?!?!?!? Absolutely amazing!
Don't tell anybody at Team Slotus, after all, I have a reputation to live down to...

JD

PostPosted: December 12, 2011, 10:02 pm 

Sheet metal Origami just about complete for the rear spoiler. I still have to add an adjustable center spoiler plate to extend to the maximum allowed spoiler heights per SCCA D Modified rules. the rear fenders and spoiler took me over 24 hours fab time. I'm not very fast.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 9:12 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Loco-
Very nice origami, Sir! I like the spoiler design... (Which means I'm probably gonna steal it, FYI...) I've been debating the side fence -vs- no side fence thing in my head. I realize the fence will create more downforce, just not sure I need it or that it won't be too much for the structure under it! So, how did you decide on things like the spoiler height, other than "max allowed" by SCCA? How do you decide on the angle that it sits relative to vertical? I've looked at various cars till I'm cross-eyed... The old Mallocks used fairly low (3 or 4 inch) spoilers across the rear, and most had higher bits on the fenders as opposed to the center section. Other cars, like Del's, use these big ol' billboards. How do ya know? Trial and error? I'd guess the angle is "trial and error" after the install, because that's how I'd have to do it! Any wisdom you wish to share would be highly appreciated!

Looking at your fenders and spoiler, done in "only" 24 hours makes me realize how labor intensive foam/fiberglass construction is. I easily have that much time in mine, and I ain't finished yet! But then, I'm slower than you and lazy to boot! :mrgreen:

Keep the pics coming, the car is lookin' GREAT!!!
JD Kemp

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 9:56 am 
Always Moore!

Very nice work. I like how it is part of the trunk lid. Any idea what kind of downforce numbers a DM/EM spoiler typically generates?

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 10:51 am 

Loco, your car is looking great!

I can plainly see we will never get together with our Locosts for a nice Sunday afternoon blat on the backroads of mid-America. Give 'er hell! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 13, 2011, 11:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
we will never get together with our Locosts for a nice Sunday afternoon blat on the backroads of mid-America.

Ya never know, it could happen... And then Loco might get to ride in the fancy car with the bright blue lights on top! :rofl:

JD "Mine Ain't Legal Either" Kemp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next