LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 9:37 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
You're gonna have to do something about that big ol' Mazz-dah sticker on the nose, too... :mrgreen:

Looking good, Bro! Maybe a hole in the hood, let that lump peek out a bit?

:cheers:

Yep, Bowtie now. :chev: Murica, old chap!

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 4:42 pm 

Did some gear ratio calculations with the RX-7 differential. The torque curve rises rapidly in the 1.4T. I can get near 100% of torque at on 1,850 RPM before any tune!

With the Gearing in the T5 and the 3.91 rear ratio this is what I get at 1,850 RPM and at 6,500 RPM. I might be able to start out in 2nd gear and have one shift with no issues getting to 75 mph on a typical autocross course.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 6:07 pm 

Thanks for posting the dyno data, we love data.
Yes, considering the weight of your car and the low rpm that boost is available, it looks like it will be possible to launch in second gear and then race in 3rd gear. This should make a great drivetrain for DM.
It is suggested that you get one of the short shifter kits for the T5 that has the adjustable shifter stops. If the internal linkages break (common due to aggressive shifting), the pieces drop down into the gear clusters and make many many more pieces.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 28, 2014, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 7:44 pm 

I uploaded an excel spreadsheet earlier this year that does the same calculations and plots it on a graph. It might be worth a try:

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16175&p=179147&hilit=excel#p179147

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 7:50 pm 

locofinn wrote:
Did some gear ratio calculations with the RX-7 differential. The torque curve rises rapidly in the 1.4T. I can get near 100% of torque at on 1,850 RPM before any tune!

With the Gearing in the T5 and the 3.91 rear ratio this is what I get at 1,850 RPM and at 6,500 RPM. I might be able to start out in 2nd gear and have one shift with no issues getting to 75 mph on a typical autocross course.

Have you by chance seen any differentials that could be "road worthy" for this engine,
transmission combination? =) (I know this is not the purpose of your car, but I still take the liberty to ask)
Great information on the engine btw, highly appriciated!

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 10:13 pm 

seven13bt wrote:
Thanks for posting the dyno data, we love data.
Yes, considering the weight of your car and the low rpm that boost is available, it looks like it will be possible to launch in second gear and then race in 3rd gear. This should make a great drivetrain for DM.
It is suggested that you get one of the short shifter kits for the T5 that has the adjustable shifter stops. If the internal linkages break (common due to aggressive shifting), the pieces drop down into the gear clusters and make many many more pieces.

Yes. I installed a short shifter kit. Very easy to source a GM short shifter with the stops and virtually any shift lever combination to fit. Should be a sweet setup.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 10:19 pm 

Nordic_Locost wrote:
locofinn wrote:

Have you by chance seen any differentials that could be "road worthy" for this engine,
transmission combination? =) (I know this is not the purpose of your car, but I still take the liberty to ask)
Great information on the engine btw, highly appriciated!

I am using a solid rear axle from a stock 1982 Mazda RX7 GSL with LSD. Many options using an older Toyota or Ford have been successful and available with LSD stock or aftermarket. Maybe Volvo in Norway?

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: July 21, 2015, 12:51 pm 

Got my drive shaft shortened even more then balanced with heavy duty U joints. All done for $130 by Action Machine in South Bend. Also installed my custom clutch by Dave Winters at DXD Racing a division of South Bend Clutch. The flywheel is a lightweight single mass aluminum by Clutchmasters. The flywheel and clutch cost as much as the motor!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: July 21, 2015, 10:01 pm 

That's an expensive clutch and flywheel setup you have.

Glad to see some updates on your build.

PostPosted: July 21, 2015, 11:01 pm 

Briggs wrote:
That's an expensive clutch and flywheel setup you have.

Glad to see some updates on your build.

Or inexpensive motor! Glad to be back on the project.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: July 4, 2016, 6:17 pm 

Back on the race car refit. I had a 1 year hiatus due to family responsibilities but I'm back on it until it gets on track. I'm shooting for a track night in September. I think it's doable.

Even though the Ecotec 1.4 Turbo is a small motor, these Sevens are very small cars when built to book size. I'm gonna need a bonnet bubble to clear the motor. The plumbing for the intercooler and intake are a challenge also but I have a plan. I will also remove the Mazda decals and replace with a Bowtie. Murica!

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: July 4, 2016, 7:34 pm 

Great engine choice. I know Del is working hard on that engine in the DMod Jeep, I think he is looking for Horse Power in the mid 200s.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: July 4, 2016, 8:11 pm 

Del has been helpful. Yes, this motor is worth the time spent tuning. I'm just starting with a race fuel tune. No E85 yet. I want to see how the drive train matches up. I should be able get around 180+ HP ad near 200 tq easy with stock turbo, valve springs, etc. The 250 hp (Nats power) will take more engine mods. Watching Del's progress closely.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: July 5, 2016, 7:35 pm 
Always Moore!

Glad to see you're still at it. Can't wait to see the finished product.

PostPosted: July 6, 2016, 7:00 am 

Looking good loco, I'm liking how the engine is just barely creeping out of the bonnet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next