LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: April 30, 2013, 8:00 am 

We are very lucky to have a special relationship with the folks at Tire Rack. Several of our members work for Tire Rack and are very active at the SCCA national level. The track was upgraded last year with some extensions on the outer ring providing more options for course designs. They are even allowing us to put down paint markers to locate cones for a records course we can repeat every year to track driver progress and bragging rites, etc..

If anyone is ever through South Bend when we are running, join us for the fun! Guests are welcome to run with us. We are a freindly bunch.

See our web page at http://www.sbrscca.org/

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: June 23, 2013, 10:11 pm 

We had 80+ racers at Tire Rack test track today for South Bend Region's Solo Event #3. This is vid of my 3rd run (quickest). This car is a hoot to drive.
http://youtu.be/_JZzgU9Ocq0

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: June 23, 2013, 11:44 pm 
Toyotaphobe

What was your time? The car ahead did 34.412.

Looked very well planted.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 24, 2013, 2:07 am 

carguy123 wrote:
What was your time? The car ahead did 34.412.

Looked very well planted.

rough guess around ~32 based on video?

it looks like you're *so* in control around that course. you've gotta drive it like you stole it!

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: June 24, 2013, 7:14 am 

The CSP (on Street Tire) Miata ahead was more like 44 sec. I ran a 39.6. FTD was Steve Tamandli (multi SCCA Nat Champ) in his very well prepped aluminum V8 Olds powered E Mod Fiero around 37.9. Most SM and SP cars were in the 40.xxx's.

Good day for me as I beat my co-driver William Loring on third run. William is the current (and two time) SCCA National Champ in G Stock. I'm pleased considering I'm runnig hard older (free) tires the wrong size! Car still pushes but that is partly due to running only 7" wide front tires. I need 8"-10". At least everything stayed on the car this event. The shift knob came off in our hands in Chicago last weekend! :shock:

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: June 5, 2014, 1:04 pm 

Well, I'm back to the builders log section for now. I had a problem at the first autocross of the season. I done blowed up my engine reeel goood. I was on the limiter at the finish lights and I think I blew out the apex seals on the rear rotor. I did a compression check and got 0 - 0- 0 psi on the rear rotor. The car would run but I was a bit (like 50%) down on power to say the least.

I'm in the planning stages for the MkII version of the Spectre Seven. I changing my power unit to old fashion pistons with a little turbo thown in for kicks. I am now shopping for this:

I'm taking the plunge into technology about 30 years newer than the 12a rotary and I'm going to adapt the GM Ecotec 1.4L turbo to a RWD configuration. This little engine holds a lot of potential. With proper tuning and a larger turbo, it should put out a very reliable 250HP/200tq. The torque curve is impressive even in stock tune climbing to full rated torque around 2,000 rpm. Plenty for a 1,300 lb track car. The engine is very compact and well designed on the bottom end to take the additional uprades. The Cruze/Sonic community are just starting to tap into the full potential this engine can offer. Aftermarket support is gaining everyday.

Also the motors are CHEAP and PLENTIFUL. The breaker yards have them with super low mileage. You can get a complete engine with less than 20K miles for about a $1,000.00.

Interesting thing is you can bolt up a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo/Amigo bellhousing form a 2.2L. They also used a Borg Warner T-5 manual tranny. Awesome indeed!
I just pick one up on ebay for $200

The fun begins........again!

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: June 5, 2014, 4:00 pm 

I think it's a very interesting engine family. A couple years back the GM Performance Division had a huge mobile display with a significant portion devoted to showing off the EcoTech family at the Del Mar Nationals. I had a chance to talk with some of their engineers about their plans. They were also planning performance crate engines, but had not committed to a particular set of offerings at that time. They are very compact even with all power accessories and emissions equipment. They had this very interesting setup on display. Don't quote me, but I think the HP was more like 400+ for this one (2.3L or 2.4L, I believe), which was developed as a racing type powerplant.
Attachment:
EcoTech-3.jpg

Attachment:
EcoTech-4.jpg

Here's part of the EcoTech display. This engine had all conceivable ancillaries mounted and was still compact.
Attachment:
EcoTech-1.jpg

Good luck with your search. I'll be real interested in seeing your re-engined Locost develop.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 5, 2014, 8:03 pm 
The voice of reason

You can also take a look at Rad's build log. He runs an Ecotech and is using plenty of boost too. He uses Megasquirt and I think some of it's fancy features...

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6783

PostPosted: June 6, 2014, 7:24 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I had a problem at the first autocross of the season. I done blowed up my engine reeel goood.

Welcome to the club... My 5.0 gave up the ghost last month. Bummer ain't it? We can claim they were just "development engines" we were using temporarily during the shakedown of the chassis. Yeah, that's what it was...

That Eco-Tech looks pretty interesting. "Uncle Del" seems to be quite fond of them, which is a very good sign. I'll be looking forward to your updates, good luck with it!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 3:53 pm 
Always Moore!

Bummer about the rotary but you're definitely going in the right direction. A small turbo engine seems like it should be a hot ticket.

PostPosted: June 10, 2014, 5:37 pm 

Sorry to hear about the motor tapping out on you but the car looks great. I am looking forward to my first drive.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: June 20, 2014, 12:26 pm 

Deconstructing and reconstruction begins. I'm going to have to do a little cutting and welding to get the 1.4L Ecotec and transmission to fit well. The Isuzu bellhousing and T-5 transmission is just a little fatter than the Mazda because I'm setting it further rearward as much as possible. I just needed a 1/2" more on the tunnel width. Dang.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: June 21, 2014, 6:31 pm 

I am having a problem with the strut rod mounting. Or a vision problem.

The axis of the strut rod is significantly below the c/l of both the inner and outer pivots.

From what I can see this is going to cause the LCA to roll back under braking.

I believe the strut rod axis should be as close to the c/l through both inner and outer lower pivots as possible so as to not cause alignment shenanigans or binding in the LCA.

Mounting the strut rod to the front of the LCA in double shear would fix that I believe. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: June 26, 2014, 7:54 am 

The strut rod is at the same C/L as the LCA pivot mount point. Weird camera angle. No issues in handling at all.

I will end up revising the front upper and lower CA arrangement significantly in the future as I intend to ditch the Mustang II spindles and put in Legends race car spindles. This will allow a smaller (much lighter) diameter Wilwood brake package. This will also bring the 13"x10" dia wheels in closer giving me a narrower car and improved scrub at the same time. A win all around.

I just want to get the thing running before next season then proceed with the suspension mods.

It's just Time and Money. :roll:

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: June 26, 2014, 9:35 am 

I love this car. Sorry to hear about the engine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next