LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 3, 2020, 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 2:26 am 

It must have rust welded itself together. Thats crazy though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 6:33 pm 

Well its been a while but some more stuff is starting to came together. I am going to be placing a fairly sizable order with Jack at kinetic when he returns to the shop from escape from Berkley, my transmission is going to finally be delivered to my house on Friday (I hope), I have the bell housing to convert it from a KA to an SR trans, I finally got my motor mount brackets from Canada, and I am now searching for a cylinder head again since the deal went south on my :evil: , so hopefully this Sunday I will start getting ready to mount up my engine and trans :D . Then once my order from jack gets to me the fun really begins :shock: . As of right now I will be foregoing the inboard suspension in favor of a traditional suspension for the simple fact that I could not get the time to design and test my inboard suspension I wanted and still keep my tentative spring '09 drive date, however on the next chassis I build it will have 4- corner inboard suspension and many other mods I have found and like :twisted: .

My current dilemma is a tough one, I have some $$ I have been saving for either car parts or a nice new TIG setup, I have been debating some of the pros and cons of each side and would like some outside input on what would be a good direction to go with this. I figure i I get the tig then I can make most of the initial cost of the welder back by doing repairs and projects for friends and some local companies that I have a good relationship with. But this could possibly delay my wanted drive date....
suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22, 2008, 1:48 pm 

No tig for me right now both my deals fell through :( , but I can still order some new parts :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22, 2008, 8:13 pm 

I think I may get these seats
http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_b ... s/fx1_pro/

and these harnesses
http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness ... ess_belts/

or maybe this
http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness ... ess_belts/

Although, I may need a floor too :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23, 2008, 4:01 pm 

I have been thinking about widening the front of my car to effectively make it a 442e, this would give me more room to play with and also make more room in the nose for the rad and fmic, all that I would need to do is redo some of the cross tubes an adjust the angles on the sides to accommodate or the extra width, right?

Also I was wondering about how much tube is need ed for a roll bar and the two angled tubes usually, I found a local guy with a bender and a cnc that said I could "rent" time in his shop to do whatever I need :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 3:13 am 

I had the same idea about the 442e, on a turbo car the cooling aspect becomes very important and I want to have room for a bigger radiator, an oil cooler, and a decent sized FMIC as well. I think having an extra 4" on the sides and 2" vertically should help quite a bit. What you mentioned is probably all you need to do.

Also, make sure you make the submarine part of the 5 point harness removable, I dont think they are all that comfortable or practical on the street. My friend has 5 point harnesses in his supercharged c5 vette and that thing is a PITA to get in and out of all the time.

Also, does your local tubing bender guy want to make a new friend and possibly get a 6 pack of fine brewskies? I also have a roll bar planned that I'd love to get bent by someone who knows what they're doing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 8:10 am 

killernoodle wrote:
I had the same idea about the 442e, on a turbo car the cooling aspect becomes very important and I want to have room for a bigger radiator, an oil cooler, and a decent sized FMIC as well. I think having an extra 4" on the sides and 2" vertically should help quite a bit. What you mentioned is probably all you need to do.

Also, make sure you make the submarine part of the 5 point harness removable, I dont think they are all that comfortable or practical on the street. My friend has 5 point harnesses in his supercharged c5 vette and that thing is a PITA to get in and out of all the time.

Also, does your local tubing bender guy want to make a new friend and possibly get a 6 pack of fine brewskies? I also have a roll bar planned that I'd love to get bent by someone who knows what they're doing :)

I'm gonna talk to a friend that owns a machine shop and see if he still has a bender and will do my bar, the with the other guy I'd be doing the bending :? so I'm gonna see what the machine shop charges, if its a lot then I'm prolly take up the offer to do it myself... but I'm going to use bend-tech regardless to map out my bends :D

That's pretty much the same thoughts I had on making my car into the "e" version coupled with the aesthetics of it. For the sub belt I'm going to put it on the clip style mounts so it can be easily removed for street use.

I also found a company that makes custom size FMIC's too http://www.bellintercoolers.com/index.html, but I'll prolly go with proj. Godspeed for the FMIC and the rad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 10:38 pm 

Which tube does everyone extend when you do a 442 e?
I was thinking of c,e q,, and the front assy, will I need to lengthen my side tubes?

Edit: Got it, I forgot he had the +4 plans on his site, so Ill just use those widths and adapt the lengths to suit me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 12:02 pm 

I don't know exactly where I found them, but somewhere hidden on some site I found the McSorely 442E plans and saved them in .pdf to my hard drive. If I can get home tonight, I can email them to you or find out a place where they were. They were NOT on the primary McSorley site though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 12:05 pm 

possible that I could get a copy of that as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 12:20 pm 

Cool, then I may just wait to rebuild for a bit, and study for a chem test :BH:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29, 2008, 2:12 pm 

I just finished dismembering the front of the car from the "B" tube forward, took about 1hr, it only took the better part of a day to build, o well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 6:31 pm 

Got the new tube for the front cut and positioned in place, tomarrow I will meas again and tack everything together :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 7:12 pm 

The Converted wrote:
possible that I could get a copy of that as well?

For those following the 442E idea, a quick search revealed it:

http://www.mcsorley.net/locost/drawings ... 7+442E.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 9:48 pm 

Thanks again for that link, it save me a lot of calculation and frustration :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next