Ok so now the new stuff.
I have mounted the Civic radiator with fan. I chose to install the fan behind the radiator. I thought that the turbulent airflow might help the oil cooler better than if it was pushed from the front. Who knows? It is all theoretical until testing is done. I went crazy with the top mount. Hopefully it will fit under the nose. Speaking of which, I have ordered the nose from Jack and expect it in about a week’s time. This will allow for some final layout.
radiator 'n fan.JPG [ 57.17 KiB | Viewed 2555 times ]
The front brake line mounts are in. The flex line is standard RX-7 fare. I found that the middle mount slides on the rubber hose. I could relocate where I wanted it on the lower control arm.
front brake line.JPG [ 139.69 KiB | Viewed 2559 times ]
Also, I have added the headlight mounts to the existing shock mounts. I really like the Unistrut material but the paint sure stinks when it gets hot. Again, I hope it is in the right location. If not….. Then more cutting and welding is in order. This seems to be my favorite pastime. Tack things together and test fit. Then cut and modify it later.
I rebuilt the front upper control arms. Now they take on a bit of a bend to fit the angled upright mounts. The KPI of the 2nd gen RX7 is about 13 degrees. So for the best freedom of motion, the rod end should be 13 degrees off straight, or in other words, perpendicular to the stud it mounts to.
headlight mount.JPG [ 157.51 KiB | Viewed 2564 times ]
I also finalized my thoughts on the scuttle. I am building one from scratch. Firewall and dash are screwed to the scuttle frame, which is in turn, bolted to the main frame aka “the book” The outer skin will be removable to allow for wiring access. Also, the dash itself will be removable without removing the outer skin. I think it is the best of both worlds. The frame, firewall and dash are made. The dash is cut for the donor’s instruments, switches and turn signal lever. The instrument cluster was modified to flatten the face so it mounts to the steel dash cleanly. I am awaiting the nose so I can extend the corner radii to the firewall and dash.
I removed the temporary bracket holding the steering wheel and now bolted the steering wheel to the scuttle frame. The front mount of the tilt bracket is now bolted to the frame. Previously it was tack welded. This allows for full removal of the shaft assembly from the car if it is ever needed.
scuttle frame.JPG [ 65.11 KiB | Viewed 2551 times ]
dash.JPG [ 63.51 KiB | Viewed 2554 times ]
‘That’s all the updates for now.