LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 18, 2008, 1:20 pm 

I have been lurking for a bit over a year. I purchased a 1991 Nissan 240SX that did not run last year at this time. I spent several months parting it out, but I was not able to get rid of the shell intil late this spring. I have cleaned up the garage and now ready to go. This is how it went.

First task was to get the engine running. The previous owner had the car for almost a year and could not get it to run. I picked it up for $350. After dragging it into the garage I fooled with the timing. Rats! it will almost start, but not quite. On a whim I pull the distributor out and move it over one tooth. It fires right up. Oil is leaking everywhere because he had taken the valve covers off and apparently did not button them up worth a hoot, but it runs. Took two days. Decide to start stripping car. Have now sold components for more than I paid and still have engine, trans, diff, etc. Looking good. Build table is now finished. Steel arrived today.

Planning on running the SX diff. I did not like the uprights much though, so I think I will look into building up from scratch. Same with the fronts. This may change once I get everything laid out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18, 2008, 1:46 pm 

It's a start.

Where are you in Southern Indiana? I actually live in Clarksville.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18, 2008, 5:38 pm 

Welcome to the club. I'm doing a 240SX build as well (although with solid rear, miata front suspension).

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19, 2008, 6:08 pm 

Why are all cheap 240s red? The one that I picked up for a race car is too. Looks like you picked up a HICAS car with a viscous LSD so good find. I'm going to be building a 240 based car as well but won't be starting for quite a while while I gather major parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15, 2008, 1:59 pm 

I have been working very slowly on the rear suspension layout using the Nissan 240SX diff. I went to the library and checked out the Gibbs book to see how they specify the rear suspension layout, and to check out the rear uprights. I also checked out the "Competition Car Suspension" book that was referenced in by another poster before I started tacking things together. I do not have the diff sitting in the correct location in this photo, and I am working on making up the lower mount right now.

Fester, I am northwest of you up in Mitchell. About 75 minutes away.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 3:48 pm 

Looks good so far. Which engine are you running ? Any ideas on how you're going to suspend the hubs ?

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 4:04 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

The Converted wrote:
Why are all cheap 240s red?

They're chick cars, seriously. I knew a guy who owned one and he had long hair. He said one day someone was tailing him for a while, then finally started to pass, but kept driving alongside his car. When he looked over the guy freaked out and backed off. Apparently he though only hotties drive 240s, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 4:23 pm 

When I had Gibb's book home from the library, I copied most all of it. I plan on building uprights similar to those. Right now I don't have any steel in the correct thickness to start making them. Soon enough I guess. I am planning in the KA24DE DOHC that came in the 240SX. Height is close, but I saw another build here in which he used it in the 442 frame. If it is a problem I may have to make alterations. Not quite that far yet.

I should be able to make some good progress before the end of the year. I have the entire week off between Christmas and New Years. If stuff would quit breaking around the house, maybe I could always be making progress.

I was down to the Harbor Freight in Clarksville a couple of weeks ago and picked up one of their tubing benders. I'll see how well I can form the radii for the back section with it.