LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 12:18 am 

I bought GatoEnFuego's project back in July and figured I should start a build log with my progress so far.

See this thread for his work.

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1276

I've been reading just about every thread in this forum trying to learn as much as I can. I've changed a few things from his design, but he gave me a solid foundation to work with.

Some of the work so far. Trying to keep it simple and lightweight, will be mostly for autocross and track days, and eventually street legal.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Howlin Mad on July 13, 2015, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 1:00 am 

Some more pictures. I sold off the 7.5" Ford rear end and scrounged a Dana 35 with limited slip from a Wrangler. It has the same 5 lug bolt pattern as Ford and will match the new front discs. You can get just about any ratio, this one had 3.54s, but I found some 4.10s. The Jeep guys practially give these things away, and should be plenty strong enough for this application. It has 10.25" drums, anyone know if 13" wheels will fit?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 3:40 am 

Lookin very good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 5:03 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Nice so far......

and stickied

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 6:24 am 

Any reason for the swap from the 7.5 to a Dana 35 with the accessibility of disc's and other mustang parts for the 7.5? Kinda thought they are similar in power limitations too. Asking as i am using a 7.5 out of a 2k mustang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 1:18 pm 
spindlefied

Egads man, could you spread some dirt around on your floor? You're making us all look bad...

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 1:53 pm 

mookie wrote:
Egads man, could you spread some dirt around on your floor? You're making us all look bad...

I was just thinking the exact same thing. That place is spooky -I'm afraid to touch anything- clean. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20, 2007, 10:57 pm 

Thanks guys. The pictures are deceiving, garage is not that clean. I epoxied the floor and tried to pick a color the same as the dirt around here. I live on a dirt road, so I sweep just about every day.

As for the rear end, the 7.5 center section was big and heavy and had the suspension mounts on top, would have had to cut them off. The 7.5 had 10.5" discs and was 62" WMS-WMS. I would have had to have really radical offset wheels or really wide fenders.

The Dana 35 is 60" WMS-WMS with smaller diameter drums and axle tubes. I need 13" wheels for autocrossing, although the Mustang wheels I have fit perfect and will be for street use. The drums have huge shoes, over 2.5" wide, should have plenty of stopping power. Besides, I'm a Jeep guy, so I need at least one Jeep part.

Pictures of the Mumford link I'm building. I decided on a removable mounting bracket so I can still work on the rear end if needed. Has six 5/16" AN bolts holding it in. Side to side fit is very tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14, 2007, 12:47 am 

Got some more work done and shot a few pictures.

I put the rear suspension all together to make sure everything worked then finished up the welding on the axle and mumford parts. Put it all together again for the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14, 2007, 12:56 am 

Scored a Butlerbuilt seat at the car show/swap meet a couple weeks ago for $25. Even has a homemade mount attached.

I need to find a match now. Of course even if I have to buy a new one l'm way ahead.

I don't like the headrest though, sticks up too high, so I plan on cutting it off just above the chassis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14, 2007, 12:53 pm 

Looks really good! Its nice to see the the build coming back to life. I like the removable mumford.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14, 2007, 12:54 pm 

Fantastic pictures!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4, 2007, 11:02 pm 

Too much real life going on, so not much progress lately.

I did score another seat at the Good Guys show in Phoenix. Kirkey this time, 16" for $40. Doesn't match the other one which is a Butlerbuilt 17.5", but after I cut them down and make covers, no one will know. I used the Kirkey for the driver side 'cause I'm skinny.

For the mount I used the sliders from the RX-7 donor seats. Worked out fantastic, two 'C' brackets, two spacers, two pieces of 1" tubing, and some nuts and bolts. All I did was bend the factory mounts down to 90 degrees and enlarge the upper rear mount holes to 1/4".

So far a grand total of $65 in seat costs. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4, 2007, 11:16 pm 

Very nicely done with the seats.

PostPosted: July 13, 2015, 1:37 am 

Time to bring this thread back from the dead.

I was stuck at mounting my rotary engine and was not really excited about it anymore, lots of potential issues, and not many solutions.

Saw this article in Grassroots Motorsports, https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/tamed-monster/, and I was intrigued. I realized an RX-7 transmission (I have three of them) is basically only a bellhousing away from a Miata transmission.

After the OCD kicked in and a couple months of research, I began the Craigslist Quest.

First acquisition:

2000 Acura TL J32A1 complete engine, alternator, P/S pump, wiring harness, computer, fuse blocks, even the steering column and key. Under 100K miles.

Attachment:
00l0l_6J6dXndKbdD_600x450.jpg

Attachment:
00N0N_m8DB4db2Bg_600x450.jpg

Attachment:
01515_iky234rCQBz_600x450.jpg

Learning that the 5 speed transmissions start to grenade above 200 ft.lbs. of torque, decided to go all in.

Second acquisition:

2000 Miata 6 speed, 104K miles, got it cheap due to someone drilling a hole in the bottom of the bellhousing for some unknown reason. I will be cutting a chunk out of the bottom for starter clearance anyway, so not a problem.

Attachment:
00X0X_1qQB7EVLRgy_600x450.jpg

Attachment:
00W0W_euUhSgfCsn2_600x450.jpg

Talked to Benjamin at Super Fast Minis/Miatas and ordered the adapter plate, flywheel adapter and bolts and a flywheel. Won't get those parts for a week or so.

Anyone need a 12A, two 13B's and three transmissions?