LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: July 21, 2014, 1:50 pm 

SamM wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the type of Wilwood brake kit, that I have pictured? This kit uses a rotor that bolts onto and aluminum hat that in turn bolts to the hub. I'm just not sure how safe this is compared to a normal brake assembly. In order to use my Mustang wheels, I must use this type of Wilwood kit. Otherwise, they will not fit. I've seen this kit used before but the bolts were safety wired. I have never done that.
Sam, that is the brake kit I plan to use for the front (Wilwood spindles.) No problems with the rotor being bolted to the hub. Wilwood's instructions are specific, though, about using red Locktite 271 on these bolts as well as others in the kit.

BTW, safety wiring is kind of easy and fun. Looks racy , too. You might want to give it a try somewhere on your build, just to say you did it. 8)

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 21, 2014, 10:02 pm 

Sam, all I can say is "LETS GOOOOOOOOO, MOUNTAINEERS!!!!"

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 9:28 am 

Thanks Mnot. We're hoping for a good season. This coach still has me concerned. :(

seattletom,
Thanks! Good info. That looks like the kit that I will be getting. Too much other stuff to do first though. My Dad and brother were both helicopter mechanics. I should have paid better attention when they tried showing me how to safety wire stuff together. Oh well! :)

Gonzo,
I've looked at those Speedway parts too. If my budget is tight, when I get to the brakes, I may go that way. But as I said, I'd rather not buy parts twice. The Speedway parts would be more than enough but I want a really nice build. Since my accident last year, I'm not riding bikes anymore. That gives me much more, extra money to spend. I should have spent my Ural money (when I sold the bike) on car parts. I upgraded my weaponry first. It seemed like the thing to do, at the time!

Thanks for all the positive replies, everyone. I stated before that this is my only project. However, I am building an Adventure/Expedition trailer for my Jeep. It's a rather slow build too. I'm throwing money at both of them but probably need to commit to one or the other and get something accomplished. I just spent $1000 on a Timbren suspension and components for the trailer. I'll use the trailer next year, so I'll be spending more on it. There is still much that can be done on the car though.

SamM

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 9:52 am 

Kubota, Moab, locost build- I'd like to come play in your sand box LOL! That's a nice garage. With the look of that garage I kind of expected oak hardwood flooring and a "take your shoes off" sign.

If you are going with a disc brake rear axle, wouldn't it be easier to pick up an early explorer diff or Cherokee with a limited slip and discs already in place?
I just prepped an explorer rear end for an early Dart build. It came with near new brakes, posi,3.73 gears and start to finish in a morning.

Please keep us up to date- enjoying following your build.

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 12:25 pm 

Sure, come on over! Bring cash when you do. I just got a bill today from physical therapy for over $1500. And they wonder why I quit! It's not all peaches and cream and butterflies coming out of my butt! lol Of course, I kid around! My horrific motorcycle crash last year has me jumping through a few hoops. Most of the bills are paid. This one hit me out of the blue.

My daughter is crying that her Jeep needs brakes and the airbag light is on. Great fun! I suppose all this will need taken care of, before I buy brakes for my car build. Great!

SamM

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 2:27 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
BTW, safety wiring is kind of easy and fun. Looks racy , too. You might want to give it a try somewhere on your build, just to say you did it.

At least you'll always know you tightened that nut.

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 4:18 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:
BTW, safety wiring is kind of easy and fun. Looks racy , too. You might want to give it a try somewhere on your build, just to say you did it.

At least you'll always know you tightened that nut.
Not necessarily... :oops:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: August 1, 2014, 5:45 am 

Sadly, my Lotus replica project died at approximately 11PM EST last night. That's when I learned that the 2015 Polaris Slingshot has become a true reality. I simply must have one. My buddies and I all drove to Competition Accessories yesterday, to look at new motorcycles. The Can Am Spyder has been something that I have considered for awhile. My plan was to save until retirement in 5 years and buy a new Spyder. The lower price on the Slingshot, will get me into one of those sooner than that.

After my Ural accident last year, I can no longer ride motorcycles. Mostly, because I also have a cardio defibulator. My doctors have wanted me to give up motorcycles for about 10 years. The accident pushed me into giving them up. At just over 30k, the Spyders are very expensive. The base Slingshot sells for just under 20k. This is doable for me and gets me back on 3 wheels. The Slingshot would be too close in comparison to my Lotus project to have both, so I must sell it. The Slingshot will get me riding (technically, a motorcycle) with my buddies again. And that's what I really want.

Making money on this is not something that I want to do. The first offer of $3000 gets everything. I easily have more than that in parts and a donor Mazda Miata. This thread explains pretty well what I have. I'll put an ad in the For Sale section soon.

Thanks for following my thread. I hate for this to end!

SamM

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by SamM on August 2, 2014, 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 1, 2014, 10:45 am 

Sorry to hear your project is defunct. I love to ride motorcycles too, don't ride much for safety reasons. Here in SC drivers are not very attentive, I just don't feel safe. I'm over 50, but have a five year old son. Just want to be around for him. Used to do weekend morning fast rides with friends. Two of them ( both had mad skills) are dead. It's just an choice I made. If I was still single with no children, sure I'd probably ride all the time.
I would guess the Seven will feel as much like a motorcycle as the Slingshot. Ive driven a Can Am Spyder. Much rather my Aprilia Mille. There is a guy in town with a TRex, it's very cool. Love to ride in it sometime.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: August 1, 2014, 11:43 am 

Going to miss your posts Sam, my wife was not keen on my getting another bike in my elder years, so that was also a small contributing factor to building the car.
The bottom line is to have fun, no matter how you go about it, you will certainly do that with the 3 wheeler.
Good luck to you.

Al

PostPosted: August 1, 2014, 4:14 pm 

With the Polaris Slingshot being technically a motorcycle, because it has 3 wheels. It will give me more of a motorcycle feel than the Lotus. Plus, the benefits of the motorcycle. Cheaper insurance rates and cheaper licensing are big selling points for me.

SamM

PostPosted: August 2, 2014, 2:15 am 

Sam, not sure who told you the Spyder starts at just over $30K, but they were pulling your leg. The Slingshot looks pretty cool. I'd be inclined to want to ad a 4th wheel, but to each their own, its probably a blast to drive.

PostPosted: August 2, 2014, 6:38 am 

Trochu,
My bad! I wasn't very clear on that. What I meant was, the Spyder model that I want, the RT with all the bells and whistles is around 30k. You are right, you can get into one much cheaper than that. The 2014 Spyder RT has the new 1300cc 3-cylinder engine. I have not ridden the new model but I do have some seat time on a 2012 Spyder RT. Great bike but I really like the Polaris Slingshot better. It will give me a little more protection and keep the family off my back, so to speak. After my Ural accident, they are a little concerned. I've tried to explain that it was a freak occurrence and never would have happened, if I was on two wheels, but they are concerned with my safety. My "go to" response is that life is not safe! You've got to go live it! I also like the saying, "gravity is a cruel mistress!" I laugh about it now.

Most people that impact a steel guard rail, fall 25 feet and then impact steel I-beams do not survive. About 5 miracles happened for me the day of my accident. My survival was down to millimeters and time, that's a tough spot to be in. There were great people around me. I am very blessed and happy to still be here. My injuries were horrific but honestly, only those around me know how bad it was. I look normal and walk around normally. There is a slight limp but I expect that to go away. My big goals now are to drop 40 to 50 more pounds. Currently, hovering around 200 lbs. I've already lost 35. And to strengthen the legs. Bicycle training starts this week.

Sorry for misquoting the price!

SamM

PostPosted: August 2, 2014, 7:00 am 

The Polaris Slingshot SL will sell for $23,999. It has bigger 18" and 20" wheels & tires, a windscreen, red paint, a navigation system and a backup camera.

SamM

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 1:32 pm 

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm back! My dealer recently called me to tell me that my Polaris Slingshot had arrived. I went down to the dealership and was blown away by the new Slingshot. I got to sit in it and climbed all over it. My wife was unimpressed. She didn't like the price much either. One more thing, this vehicle is huge! It's much too big for me to take seriously. It won't even fit onto my new 77" Aluma aluminum trailer. The Slingshot is just over 78" wide and will not fit. Since I would have to buy a new trailer to drag this thing up and down my road, this is not going to happen for me. At just over 12' long this thing really is big. I never considered that the size of the Slingshot, would be the main issue for me. It turned into the deciding factor. Well, that and the wife's objection. lol

In exactly 5 months, I have come full circle. I'm actually very excited about my car build again. I'm not going to jump into it right now, as I have other more pressing issues. I will be buying parts here and there for it. Nothing major. Most of the major parts are already here. I have all the fiberglass, a fuel cell, the donor car, frame and most of the suspension pieces.

Thanks for looking. I hope everyone has a Wonderful New Year!

SamM

Last edited by SamM on January 9, 2015, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next