LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6, 2007, 5:21 pm 
Ordered all the parts I needed to make the tie rod assemblies. It actually ended up $20 cheaper than buying the assemblies. Go figure.

Next I need to figure out what size/spline count the Porsche steering column uses for its U joint. This way I can do the steering linkage right. I'd rather not half-a$$ something this critical. I had started to weld up a piecemeal linkage, but after thinking about making it more bulletproof, I'm leaning toward getting the proper adapters, etc to make it work.

Right now, it looks like the Porsche column uses a 14mm/36 spline connection. This *should* interface with a 9/16-36 spline shaft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6, 2007, 8:07 pm 
all right. im pumped to see this one rollin

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15, 2007, 7:39 pm 
Got the steering parts in. Looks like i'll need to ream the knuckles a bit to get the tie rod ends to fit, but should work well. With the overall length I got, I should have enough adjustability to get the toe-in set right.

Just need to get the steering rack located and the front end will be pretty close to done. :)

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 11:27 pm 
Hay John, glad to see your back on track. I also let 6 months slip away doing nothing on my car. It's real easy to do. I am back on track also and am ready to paint my chassis and final assembly. After 3 1/2 years, I will not stop until finished this time.

Good luck

Paul Greenleaf
http://www.pbase.com/paulgreen/lotus_7&page=all

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 4:37 pm 
Man... Time flies when you least expect it. I've had too much on my plate lately, but I want to get going on my locost again. I miss working on it. But, summer is here, and despite the heat, I like working out in the garage this time of year.

This last weekend I got motivated despite the 115F heat and got the garage cleaned back up and organized. I can now find my tools, and walk around the Locost without tripping over anything.

After I got the garage cleaned up, a friend came over and we got the front suspension together. My car is now a roller and is standing on its own 4 wheels!

Now, I need to finish weld the front A-arm mounts on the chassis after some minor correction (I noticed that one side is not positioned correctly) and start locating the steering rack, since I have everything I need now.

Along with that, I gotta get the rear brake caliper brackets made and welded onto my uprights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 7:40 pm 

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you back at it, I can't wait to see how it turns out. :thmbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2007, 8:16 pm 
Good to see you back John. I am really looking forward to the completion of Your build. Keep at it.

I also had several 6-month stretches that the car didn't get get touched, and it is frustrating. But all the details do finally fall into place. My car needs a million details done to it, But I am in the process finishing the paper work to get it titled.

Just keep going.

Paul Greenleaf
http://www.pbase.com/paulgreen/lotus_7&page=all

PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 7:59 pm 

i am wondering what you have spent so far as time and money are concerned. thanks good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 1:28 am 

Sweet build. Got any updates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5, 2008, 11:13 pm 

bump for updates

PostPosted: October 3, 2009, 2:03 am 

hey new to this and just found this build... Great work man, sure wish i could see some updates.. love the 510 BTW BUMP for updates.. :BH:

PostPosted: March 11, 2010, 1:31 am 
Wow, sad. I guess John's build is dead. The guy was a really good fabricator, and I wanted to see him succeed. Very sad.

PostPosted: October 5, 2011, 1:49 pm 

Yeah, stinks because I was looking at using SR20DET but from what many have said it's not reliable enough, too big and hard to work out.

PostPosted: October 5, 2011, 4:06 pm 

I think I may have bought this un-finished Locost. The guy I bought my project from was a guy named John, and it originally had a 240 SX engine and tranny in it, porsche steering, and lived on the East side of town. If it is this car, I sure wish I could see all the old pics in this thread; only a few are showing up, the rest are red X's.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: October 5, 2011, 7:17 pm 
The voice of reason

It looks like those pictures were URLs for a place on his internet providers space? They had addresses like this: http://members.cox.net/n4w5/seven014.jpg. Perhaps he still has them somewhere and would put them on a USB drive for you or something?

We try to encourage people to upload their pictures here directly. We're committed to keeping this site going. You can always upload somewhere else too, it just just takes a little extra time to get them here. This way your children's children's friends will know how cool you are ( ah, were i suppose ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next