LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10, 2006, 11:36 pm 
:shock: :shock: :shock: MAN. you do nice work!!! Impressive!! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19, 2006, 8:16 am 

Hi John
I have just stumbled upon your build today, WOW, you are very much on your way to creating a master piece. Congrats.
I have recently received my chassis from www.locost.co.za and I've decided to go for the SR20DET motor and gearbox. The chassis is based on the Luego Velocity, slighly bigger that the "book" chassis. Unfortunately, I'm one of two (that I know of) in South Africa to be using this config. My main concern is the fit for this beast. Please would you include some more detailed pics of your engine and gearbox mounts in your build diary, or if possible a diagram of your mounts? I'd really appreciate it.
All the best, keep up the great work.
Phil Bradley
South Africa [/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19, 2006, 9:03 pm 

++++2!

Really nice looking build. I've decided on a 240-based build and yours is a great inspiration. CA18DETs are pretty cheap now, I'm thinking about going that route. Naturally aspirated exhaust manifolds with decent runner and collector combinations to make power are going to be hard to route in this engine "bay". Not to mention the CA18 is smaller, from what I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25, 2006, 2:18 pm 
Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Currently, my build is on hold for a month while I'm helping with a project for a friend (a 1 month renovation of a 1945 WWII DUKW amphibious 6x6!) Once the duck is out of my driveway, the locost will be back on the front burner.

I'll get some more photos of the engine and transmission and post them up when I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25, 2006, 4:11 pm 

I have a quick question for ya. I might have missed the answer skimming through your thread. Did you change out the springs on your R6 shocks or are you using stock springs? Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2006, 6:45 pm 

Looks great, I have just stumbled on to this website and I think have convinced myself to go ahead and tear apart my 240sx I have sitting in the yard and start building my own locost. Your detailed build has shown me what is involved in using a 240 as a donar and I hope to be able to start mine shortly

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 9:59 pm 

I was just wondering whether or not it would be worth while to just integrate the nissan subframe into the build? I am considering this as an option for my build because then I wouldnt need to build my own rear suspension. I am not too certain about my abilities to get the suspension and dif setup correctly.

Basically I was curious if you had thought about this with your build and if so why you scrubed the idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 10:20 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

singleslammer wrote:
...I am not too certain about my abilities to get the suspension and dif setup correctly.

In the voice of Yoda, "that is why you failed."

If you believe you can do it, you will!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 10:55 pm 

yes yes, the little green guy knows best. I was just curious if this would be useful at all or would it be a larger pain in the butt than a completely custom setup similar to the one done in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 11:31 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

A fair question... and a hard one to answer. I think it comes down to you, how well you are able to exploit the car's handling. If you just cruise around, a live axle will be fine. But if you're a National Champion autocrosser, I'd definitely go for the IRS.

You know, in the big picture it really doesn't matter all that much. We argue this and that, but quite likely we (and I) don't have the skills to really make use of these cars we've created. If Schumacher drove our cars he'd likely get a Much faster lap time than us... so what's that say?

OTOH I admit I went ahead and did the PITA IRS... just becuase. Because I knew it could be better - whether I can make use of that is another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 12:47 am 

well, I figure I already have this nice IRS system in the donor and I too think that IRS is a better system when it comes to handleing. The main think I am worried about is getting suspension calc. wrong and screwing the car up and not knowing it until I try and drive it. oh well. I have kinda jacked this thread. If I decide to go that route during chassis build time I will be asking many more questions, otherwise oh well. Thanks for the input

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10, 2006, 12:49 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

When in doubt put your faith in a fictional green puppet with someones hand up his butt for wisdom and inspiration.

KB58
Has an awesome point....if you quite before the test you still fail. Take the test...build the part or at least TRY, fail or succeed you will come away from it with many life lessons.

I beleive we live or lives in comfortable envelops working within our skill sets and comfort ranges. It isn't until you start to try other things that you really learn and push that envelope.

Ask 100,000 people if they would build their own car from scratch and and you will receive 99,999 same answers. You are already at least one in a hundred thousand...so if you try and fail with a part or configuration or set up you tried...few if any of us have full machine shops at are disposal.

The truth is that a well sorted out locost will drive better than than a car four times the cost (ten times the cost)...we can agonize about the perfect suspension...the perfect donor, the perfect extra 10 horse power...but for me it will be enough to take my daughter to school and take a corner a little faster. I suspect it will be better, faster, and handle nicer than anything I have ever driven. (even if I make a few mistakes along the way)

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Last edited by mr.peabody.d on February 5, 2007, 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: September 8, 2006, 2:08 pm 

I really like the IRS set up you fabricated, thats just killer, effective reasonable cost with stock steel fabricated, its just great. Car and (race car) building has many phases, design, building, testing and developing, forge on, if you need to move a few suspension pick up points after sorting out the handling no big deal, tub fram car makes it easy, when will it be on the road/track or solo course?
JLS

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20, 2006, 4:34 am 
John
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. I just recd 1 R6 shock and the other 3 are on thier way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20, 2006, 1:43 am 

John,

Still working on it?

-Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next