LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: October 9, 2016, 10:45 pm 

I forgot you are in the Charlotte metro area. Russ aka: racepedals is on the north side too. I think a holiday get together is in order...

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: October 14, 2016, 8:16 pm 

Yeah, it would be good to get together with some other locosters in the area at some point.

Spend a few nights this week giving the car a good going over and cleaning it up a little in the process. Planning on running it at a local autocross tomorrow to get a feel for it again. That will probably be the last chance I get to run it this year, but at least I won't have to wait until spring now.

I plan on taking some video, so I will share it once it gets uploaded.

Project Seven
Instagram: @RexRacer19

PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 9:03 pm 

Went to the AutoX on Satuday and had a pretty good time. The car was as much of a handful as I remembered, but manageable. The old Toyos that were on it weren't doing me any favors, but they were round and had tread on them. I haven't autocrossed in a while, so I was a little rusty. The car did pretty well, but I did start having fuel starving issues on my last two runs. The fuel pump was making some noises as well, so either it is starting to go, or there is a clog in the fuel line from deteriorating fuel cell foam. Either way it will need to be fixed before I can take the car out again. The car wants to crank a lot before it will start cold, also...could be related.

Regardless, it was fun to drive it again after so many years. Here is some video of my best two runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3k7ATEf7eM

Project Seven

PostPosted: October 18, 2016, 12:54 pm 

Jeff,
good to see you back here, and the car back in the fold, so to speak.
I recall you were changing the rear end from a RX7 to a Celica (?). What are you running for a final ratio? And it looks that you are still on the 13" wheels. I saw you catch 2nd gear once, albeit briefly. What RPM are you using for your shift point?
I'm curious how that compares to mine. I have no plans for auto crossing, but a track day or two may be fun next year.
Thanks.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: October 18, 2016, 3:52 pm 

We're having an event this weekend at the Michelin Proving Grounds. We'll be on the Black Lake, their huge asphalt pad.

Come on out, that way Oops won't be the only Locost on site.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: October 18, 2016, 8:41 pm 

mgkluft wrote:
Jeff,
good to see you back here, and the car back in the fold, so to speak.
I recall you were changing the rear end from a RX7 to a Celica (?). What are you running for a final ratio? And it looks that you are still on the 13" wheels. I saw you catch 2nd gear once, albeit briefly. What RPM are you using for your shift point?
I'm curious how that compares to mine. I have no plans for auto crossing, but a track day or two may be fun next year.
Thanks.

Thanks. I started with a 1st gen RX7 rear end with a 3.90 final drive. That was pretty good for autox and the size tires I typically run, but not so great for track, as it would run out of gear before getting halfway down any longish straight. I switched to a Toyota 10-bolt from an old Corolla that had a 3.31 final drive which works perfectly for the track. Naturally it isn't a great fit for autox now. The car is still on 13s, and I typically shift around 12,000rpm. I think that for autox I will need to go with some shorter tires in the rear (20") to get the gearing in a happier place. Being able to use 2nd for most of the course would make things better overall, I think.

TooBusy - Can't make it this weekend. Already have other plans, and I still need to get the fuel starving worked out.

Project Seven

PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 8:16 pm 

Glad to see this back.. I followed your website during your original build. keep us posted.

PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 1:32 pm 

Thanks, and will do. I sort of put the cart before the horse when I bought this car back. I am in the process of building myself a new shop to work out of. I likely won't get any real work done on the car until the spring.

Project Seven

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12