LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 15, 2024, 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2006, 1:04 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

Not quite Cal-Trans Orange but likeable none the less...Nice color Mistook it for RED.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3, 2006, 4:26 pm 
Can I live in your shop/garge, I will make sure to take the CRX and the 7 for walks (drives) every day.

I love the ORANGE

Great job on the metal forming on the rear body section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3, 2006, 5:43 pm 

That looks VERY sharp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10, 2006, 9:58 pm 

Things are starting to take shape...

Well, for the most part, the back half of the car is now skinned in orange aluminum. The scuttle is done now as well and proved to be fairly difficult to get "just right". The more panels I put on the car the more excited I get about getting the thing finished. It is really starting to look like a seven. Now I will get back to more chassis related stuff and getting the engine back in the car.

Project Seven
Instagram: @RexRacer19

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11, 2006, 7:47 pm 
looks great. NIce miller welder. I see you're in the blue.
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 10:47 pm 

Ploped the engine back in this weekend and made another site update. It is kind of cool to see it back in there again. :) Of course, now there are PLENTY of projects to get done reating to that. I made a rough to do list the other day of what needs to get done to finish the car...it was a a page long at least. But really it is not that bad. The winter is coming up, and if I can keep on track, it should not be hard to get it finished up before the spring.

Project Seven

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19, 2006, 6:44 pm 
Hi Jeff:

That looks really good. Well done!

One thing I've found while driving my car is that the brake lights don't light quickly at all. I think the reason why is because my brake light switch is connected to the rear circuit. I think that if the brake light were connected to the front circuit--where there is presumably more pressure--they would light faster.

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19, 2006, 9:00 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Jeff
I love the build and the build schedule....very nicely done.

chrisf
I am assuming you have dual master cylinders...if not why not put it in front of the split.

If you do have dual master cylinders you may have to go with a lower pressure switch.

IMHO

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19, 2006, 9:27 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I recommend a good old fashioned switch, which the brake pedal switches. Between that and LED lights, it'll give cars behind you maximum warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19, 2006, 10:47 pm 

Chris - Thanks for the kind words. It is getting much closer now! Thanks for the input on the brake light switch. I wrestled with the decision on what type of switch to use. In the end, I felt that the in-line unit would be the cleaner, simpler approach that did not require any fiddling with. The unit I have is supposed to be a low pressure unit. The use that the car will see most of the time, will not involve much light braking. :D If this switch does not do the job, I can always change it for a mechanical switch in the future.

Kurt - LED tail lights are already in the plan for the car. I have been struggling a bit with which ones I want to use. I like the simple round ones, but they are all the 4" monsters found on semis. The smaller 2 1/2" rounds are all side marker "running" lights, and I worry about them not having enough intensity for a brake light. The other option I am considering (and leaning towards) is the 2 1/2" X 6" oval lights mounted vertically. There are some nice lites to be had from the UK, but it is just a pain and now more expensive to get stuff from over there.

Project Seven

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2006, 11:42 am 

WOW that is really an inspiring build. Frankly it has made me completely re-think my ideas on building a locost. The slug of a 4G63 I was thinking about putting in is looking more and more like a bad idea. The Sequential shifting, and high revving of that motor just seems to fit the idea of the original car more than any car motor.

What type of frame are you using? I didn't see it on your site. Book, +4, 442?

Other than the engine setup it appears the only large cost would be the reverse box I would want to use on a street/occasional race car.

Again beautiful fabrication work you've done. I've bookmarked your site and plan to check often, so get to work. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2006, 7:06 pm 

DSM7 - Thanks. The frame is "book" sized, but has a few modifications in there. Yep, BEC is about the most fitting power for a car that is replicating a seven. Add lightness...right? If you look at the UK sites like Locostbuilders, there are tons of folks doing BECs that are street cars to get info from.

Don't worry, I am on the fast track for getting this thing done... :D

Project Seven

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9, 2006, 12:32 am 

I managed to get behind on site updates a bit, but have been getting some work done on the car. I had to get ready for the last track event of the year over the past couple of weeks as well, and that cut into the building time a little.

The fuel system is now fully plumbed. I was mostly happy with how that turned out. I wished I would have planned the supply line a little better, I could have made it even slicker with fewer fittings, but often times you don't learn about some things until after the fact.

The plumbing for the entire cooling system is done as well. All that is left there is the expansion tank and mount. There are a lot of tubes that criss-cross back and forth in there, but everything fits pretty nice with plenty of clearance.

As usuall, check the site for more info.

Project Seven

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9, 2006, 12:19 pm 
Jeff,

"Sanitary" is the only word I can come up with that begins to describe how clean your build is. It's just top-notch. Your attention to detail really shows through in your work and believe me, other people notice.

Keep up the great work.
-Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9, 2006, 11:28 pm 

Erik,

Thanks for the kind words. I am trying to do a reasonably neat job of putting the car together. Mostly the whole process has been pretty fun, and the education is priceless. Hearing encouragement from fellow builders helps to keep the motivation level up. Of course, the thought of actually being able to drive the thing in the not too distant future is pretty motivating in itself.

Tonight, I started working on the last "dreaded" project for the car...wiring. I dug out the ECU and wiring harness and started figuring out where things were going to get placed in the car. It can quickly become overwhelming and I called a time out. Then I went and printed out the wiring diagram and started to identify and label each connection. I think this will be a time saver in the end. I also started to stip all the wraping off of the harness as well. Once everything is identified, I will strip out the circuits that are not needed to clean it up a little bit. It should be pretty straightforward with the diagrams, but electrical is not my strong suit.

Project Seven

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next