LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 193  Next
PostPosted: May 19, 2018, 11:19 pm 

And me...

PostPosted: May 20, 2018, 1:47 am 

And me, and I'm from the colonies....................

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 20, 2018, 7:20 am 
We are Slotus!

Ya know, that kind of proves Lonnie's point... Let me see now, I could watch the Royal Wedding or I could look at the foot pedals on Lonnie's Locost... CLICK- "And here we have the clutch pedal..." :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 22, 2018, 11:01 am 

Usually, I design things to the Nth degree in 3D and then do drawings before I fabricate. The pedal box was an experiment for me. I'm looking for ways to cut time off my build. I'm anxious to get it done after effectively having an unplanned, 2-year layoff.

To save time, I only designed my pedal box in terms of the major components. I left details to be "done in the field", so to speak. In the end, I think it cost me more time working that way. It was both more stressful, and more fun doing it that way, however. I do think I get better results when I design on CAD to the Nth degree. I'm not sure if I'll repeat this process again. We'll see.

I also committed to building with what I have on hand. It's all from scrap (but virgin) material except the balance bar setup, brake light switch, return springs and some pins. I tested the adjustability and functionality of the brake light switch yesterday. It works pretty well. I selected too soft of a return spring, which I'll need to replace. I'll need to find a single, stronger spring as I ended up using two of the type I had.
Attachment:
DSC04289.JPG

There are details to finish like the final welds, a couple of Delrin spacers and two custom pins to make on the lathe. I decided it's much easier to make better fitting pins rather than have to disassemble everything in the finished car if the play in the commercial pins is noticeable and irritating.

Here are the switch setup details.
Attachment:
DSC04290.JPG

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 22, 2018, 2:10 pm 

I take it your springs are temp for testing? My master pushes the pedal back really nice. I am sure you know I could help writing something. :D

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: May 22, 2018, 11:24 pm 

Tundra 7 wrote:
I take it your springs are temp for testing? My master pushes the pedal back really nice. I am sure you know I could help writing something. :D

I'll replace the two springs with just one, but it is required for my setup. The switch itself has a pretty strong spring that needs an opposing force to keep the brake lights off. There is no return force imparted to the switch mechanism by the pedal. The brake lights are off as long as the switch button is depressed and completed when it is not.

In most applications the weight of the brake pedal keeps the switch button depressed and the brake lights off. Due to packaging constraints that configuration was not workable for my build. The return spring(s) also keep the switch "paddle" in contact with the brake pedal itself.

Thanks for the offer of help, though.

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 23, 2018, 7:33 am 

That’s cool. Ya you don’t get all that from the picture. Interesting though. Sure looks nice

PostPosted: May 23, 2018, 8:49 am 

@Tundra 7 Thank you, Steve.

PostPosted: June 2, 2018, 5:08 pm 

The next big step for me is getting the firewalls, footwell, trans panels and floor into the chassis. Then it goes back up on the build table for suspension construction along with a number of other neat things. That's going to be very exciting.

However, before I weld the floor in (I like the word undertray better), there are some other tasks that I must complete first. They're time consuming and dirty, but they will be a lot harder to do after the floor is in the way. The transmission tunnel paneling is primary among those tasks. To get even those panels in, there's are yet even smaller tasks that must be completed first. It's what I call "nudge-pie sh*t."

Here is an example:
Attachment:
DSC04294.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04293.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04295.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04296.JPG

I can't bead roll 16 gauge, but I can with 20 gauge. My experiment with the 20 gauge, bead-rolled, gas pedal convinced me that 20 gauge, properly beaded and welded will do the job very well indeed. I'll need to pre-stretch the beads with my small English wheel to keep the panels relatively flat, but it will be fun starting tasks with new-to-me tools.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 3, 2018, 1:46 am 

All steps closer to being a 10%'er, atta boy!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 3, 2018, 8:39 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
It's what I call "nudge-pie sh*t."
Or as some famous guy said, "The devil is in the details." (Just who IS "Ambrose Bierce" anyway???) I thought I was finished with the chassis at least twice before it was actually finished. And, really, I'm not positive it's really done now. How-some-ever, you are absolutely correct, all those little clean-up, detail things take waaaa-aaay more time than they should. But, it pays off in the end. Maybe... They say... :mrgreen:

Keep after it, Bro, it's lookin' GOOD!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 3, 2018, 8:51 pm 

@horchoha
@GonzoRacer

Hey Perry & JD,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm getting in time just about every day now. It's nice to be checking items off on my To-Do list. Someday, by golly, it will be a sports car!

By the way, a chapter of the Lotus Club has been started in San Diego. As soon as I found out about it, I wrote and asked how they felt about 7-clones. They're fine with them, so I'm looking forward to participating once the car is finished - maybe even before.

For all who are curious, here's their website ==> http://sandiegolotusclub.org/

Cheers all,

PostPosted: June 7, 2018, 11:55 pm 

Shoot, I lost about 15-20 pictures today from my little camera. The battery went dead while I was shooting. I took it out and recharged it, but when it came back to life, only one photo was still good.

So, here it is:
Attachment:
DSC04311.JPG

I had a bunch of photos of the two ways I might do the scuttle. Months ago, I build a piece that raised up the fiberglass scuttle 1" to clear the tall SEFI manifolds on the Mustang V6. I put it all into place this morning and took some photos of it. Now, I'm not sure I like it. So, I took a bunch more using the usual mounting methods, and I think I like it better. I was going to see what others though of each method. Bummer! I don't want to do it all over again.

Oh well. The one photo above shows some 14 gauge plate with 4, 3/8"-16 weld nuts placed on the underside at the front of the transmission tunnel. I'm going to triangulate the dashboard hoop forward to the plates here with the weld nuts. I think that will help a lot with stiffness at the front of the cockpit.

The driver's footwell access hatch (maintenance and adjustment on pedal box and steering stuff), and the continuous gusset plate on the passenger side I did months ago too. I've held off welding them in until the steering stuff is designed and built, and the floor is welded in place. I'm trying to keep access for welding the floor maximized.

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 10:25 am 

You just going to stitch weld the floor right? Like all the other panels you’ve been doing. Have you considered bonding such as (Vaulkum) and a few rivets for the floor? Much less stress.

PostPosted: June 8, 2018, 7:42 pm 

I did consider aluminum on the bottom, bonded and riveted per the original 7 concept, Steve. It's just that it is more complex, more expensive, and somewhat risky compared to welding in steel.

I actually found a virgin, but surplus, sheet of 16 gauge at a local supplier. It was just a fraction of the cost of aluminum. It has some surface oxidation, but no pitting or real damage to it. I'm following the examples of Perry (horchoa) and RacerAl who have both gotten good results with careful welding. They're both a little better welders than I am, but I'll go slow. If you've seen their builds, I'd call their welding stitch+ as they use longer beads than I have with my stitch welds.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 193  Next