LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 194  Next
PostPosted: October 4, 2014, 10:59 am 

OK, I'm over it now. Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It will get done. I just need to get my automotive mojo back.

Cheers all,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 4, 2014, 12:24 pm 

"I'm thinking a target date of May 1, 2015 is adequate to create a running, rolling, steering, braking Locost even if it lacks body panels, mufflers, lights, fenders, full wiring, complete seating"

Hey Lonnie I'm kinda thinking the same date for my build!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: October 4, 2014, 9:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
"I'm thinking a target date of May 1, 2015 is adequate to create a running, rolling, steering, braking Locost even if it lacks body panels, mufflers, lights, fenders, full wiring, complete seating"

Hey Lonnie I'm kinda thinking the same date for my build!

Does it bother either of y'all that you've picked "Mayday" as your completion date?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday
Just kiddin... Good luck to both of you!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 5, 2014, 12:24 am 

Geez, it's been a while. I've been busy, but not always on the Locost. But, here's one thing that's ultimately going to be Locost-related - a metalshaping class.

I just finished a class given by Peter Tommisini (website ==> http://www.handbuilt.net.au/index.html) who is a fascinating and very talented metalshaper from Australia by way of Italy. The class was held here in Menifee, California not too far from our place in the mountains (or Carlsbad for that matter). I'll post several items about the class. This is the first of two tonight. They'll be maybe 5 in all over a few days.

At the begining of class, Peter told us, "This class is not about producing pretty panels, showing them to your mates, and saying, 'Oh, look what I've done now.' It's about understanding metal and how it moves and responds to the four fundamental processes of shrinking, stretching, folding and cutting. When you leave this class you will understand those things." I found that Peter was good to his word. An understanding of the fundamental processes will be had in his class by any student who applies themselves to the projects, pays attention, and asks questions when they "just don't get it." At the same time, Peter was very clear with us that this is just the starting point in metalshaping. Mastery of metalshaping, he told us, would take "time and lots of practice, practice, practice."

There were several skill levcls present in the student population ranging from rank novice to accomplished professional. I'm in the rank novice category. For we novices, the first mini-project was to shape a simple piece of sheet steel, getting experience with stretching and shrinking: the critical pair of fundamental operations.

Work was done using a blocking hammer, tree stump with hemispherical depression and limited use of the English wheel. The surface intentionally wasn't finished to a high luster, nor were all blemishes removed as could have been done. Again, producing a "pretty piece" was not the objective. Basic understanding of shrinking and stretching and the changes they cause in the sample sheet material, as they are applied, was the objective.
Attachment:
Blocking Hammer and Stump.jpg

Attachment:
English-Wheel.JPG

Attachment:
Project1-#1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 5, 2014, 12:38 am 

Here's the second mini-project. It's a large conceptual jump, but uses the same basic tools: various hammers, stump; shot bag and English wheel. Basic shape is put in by hand.

The widened fender off a classic Ford pickup was divided into sections with a black marker by Peter. Students were paired together into teams. The objective was for each team to duplicate the shape of their assigned fender section described by their "lines."

You could look at the result of the student work as joining all the sections together to form a second, new, matching fender. Or, you could consider each assigned section a "patch panel" to be placed into the fender by cutting, welding and finishing. Either way, the student objective was to duplicate the shapes using the same set of basic tools: stump; various hammers, English wheel and shot bag. Use of the English wheel was mostly for clean up. Almost all the fundamental shape was created without using the wheel.

The photos are the results from our team – that me and my team partner, John.
Attachment:
Project2-#1.JPG

Attachment:
Project2-#2.JPG

Attachment:
Project2-#3.JPG

Attachment:
Project2-#4.JPG

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 5, 2014, 2:39 am 
The voice of reason

Roughly how much time does it take to make a piece like John is holding up to the fender? Is that 1008?

PostPosted: November 5, 2014, 9:41 am 

horizenjob wrote:
Roughly how much time does it take to make a piece like John is holding up to the fender? Is that 1008?

Hi Marcus,

It took us about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. But, we were both learning, so that's not a realistic estimate for a skilled person. I'd guess at an hour for a journeyman panel beater.

There's a real fancy name for that steel, which escapes me at the moment. It's 19 gauge, cold rolled, "something killed", sheet steel. It's the same stuff all our cars used to be made of here in the USA for many, many years. All the hot rod guys use it because it is a match for old-time cars and trucks.

It gets very strong as soon as you put some shape into it. You need to shape things with your hands too as you go along, and after you work it for a while, it gets fairly tough to move around that way.

Cheers,

PostPosted: November 5, 2014, 3:41 pm 

Lonnie thanks gfor sharing your experience. to your understanding, whats happening during "Shrinking"

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 5, 2014, 4:14 pm 

Quote:
Lonnie thanks gfor sharing your experience. to your understanding, whats happening during "Shrinking"

The pool water got too cold?

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: November 5, 2014, 4:30 pm 

Rob
Shrinking is tricky with a hammer. You gather metal to form a ^ then bash it flat with a hammer. The result is thicker metal than when you started.

Do that several times and the length of a panel edge gets shorter and forces some crown into the panel

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: November 6, 2014, 2:16 am 

Lonnie I think that is fantastic to be able to work with metal like that. Very impressive. Wish we had course availability north of the 49th.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 6, 2014, 8:54 am 

There's a real fancy name for that steel, which escapes me at the moment. It's 19 gauge, cold rolled, "something killed", sheet steel.
The "something killed" is [Aluminum killed] and it's also probably draw quality. Dave W

PostPosted: November 6, 2014, 9:41 am 

TooBusy wrote:
Rob
Shrinking is tricky with a hammer. You gather metal to form a ^ then bash it flat with a hammer. The result is thicker metal than when you started.

Do that several times and the length of a panel edge gets shorter and forces some crown into the panel

Fascinating...I HAVE to try that ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 6, 2014, 10:38 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
This class is not about producing pretty panels, showing them to your mates, and saying, 'Oh, look what I've done now.'
Which is precisely why your comment on the first 'simple' panel picture should have been, "Oh, look what I've done now." :mrgreen:

That class sounds fantastic, and looks like a great start to another hobby! :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 6, 2014, 11:39 am 

robbovius wrote:
TooBusy wrote:
Rob

Fascinating...I HAVE to try that ;-)

It's a hoot. The hood scoop on the R1 is the best shrinking and stretching I've ever done.
Since I did the scoop I picked up a shrinker on Craigslist. Only has a 1 inch throat, but it sure is easier to do than crown and crush technique.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 194  Next