LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 194  Next
PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 11:04 am 

horchoha wrote:
Mnot wrote:
lines and bent the hard line to conform to my needs.

Yessss, when I looked at the pics of Lonnies brake lines that's exactly what came to mind. I've tweeked a many of brake line/hose to suit my need, why I just did it on the Topolino build, and the S10 build before that, and the Che7enette build before that. IMHO brake lines are pliable, and they should be, otherwise they would break or crack.
The other thing I question is what do the anti moan plates do? The T Bird axle I used (drum brakes) didn't have them. What purpose do they serve with disc brakes? Can they be simply deleted?

As I mentioned to Gavin above, I'm just starting to educate myself on what can be done, Perry. I originally thought I might be able to repurpose the donor brake lines, but they have many bends in them and are pretty hard material. Unbending them, which is what I'd have to do, isn't practical.

I bought a roll of CuNi (I think they call it CupraNickel or something like that) line which can be bend by hand if necessary, although I have a simple bending tool also. That line is going to run inside the tunnel. I have welded in tabs to mount it already and have the mounting clips too.

The part I have to reason out and plan is the segment from the chassis proper to the brake calipers. Until I had all the moving parts in place (photos will be posted today) it was hard to visualize where the simplest, safest place might be to place the join of the flex tubing to the chassis mounted tubing.

I haven't got a plan yet, but I'm in shape to make one after I educate myself on ways to do it, and where it needs to go to stay safe.

The Anti-moan plates (I think of them as Slut-plates, which tells you a lot about my mentality) were an add-on somewhere in the SN95 development process. Under maximum braking, the Mustang brake mounting flange tended to flutter and moan. They were an after-the-fact way to solve the problem without modifying the rear axle itself. You've implicitly asked the right question, Perry, "Will they still be necessary?" I don't know the answer, but my inclination is to make sure I can modify them in future should they be necessary to have them, but leave them off for now. I may just modify them, but leave them uninstalled. I go back and forth on that because it is so much easier to work on the axle now versus after it's on the road.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 11:07 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
I'd try the front hoses on the rear. The fittings are the same with a 10mm banjo and 7/16 but there is a shorter length of steel tube at the banjo that may let you bring the hose behind the axle. If there is a lip on the banjo, this can be ground off if it prevents clocking the way you need it to be or you can bolt it on backwards with the lip facing out.

You can do some cold bending on the lines but to bring it straight around the back would be iffy without heat that would cook off the finish of the new lines plus you'd need to repeat the process if you ever replaced them.

Universal banjos will work too but I'd stay with the oems if possible for less cost than an lines and adapters.

Another option is the same year model aerostar front hoses. Ford used this hose design but varying lengths and bends of steel tube for decades, mostly with 10mm banjos and 3/8 or 7/16 fittings.

Thanks for the ideas on this. I may get back to you with some questions later. It's a new area for me.

Thanks very much,

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 11:58 am 

I guess I'll start with the "bottom line" from yesterday's work. I have all the components, or their stand-ins, in place now. Here's an overall photo. I finished in the evening, so the sun was pretty low, and the photo isn't all that clear - too many shadows.
Attachment:
DSC04994.JPG

Here's some details:
Attachment:
DSC04995.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04996.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04999.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04997.JPG

I put everything into the standard "neutral behaviour" setting. The control arms are parallel and horizontal. The Panhard rod is horizontal and also at right angles to the centerline. I estimate the roll center is about 6".
Attachment:
DSC05000.JPG

I knew some components would be a tight fit, and have to be installed in a particular sequence, so doing the fit-out showed me what that would have to be. I had two surprises. It turned out the faux coilovers needed to be set at 12-1/8" instead of the 12" indicated in my 3D model. Meh! The second one will actually require some action.

At about 1-1/4" of bump, the tire sidewall barely makes contact with the upper control arm bolts. I've planned on 3" bump as my upper limit, so that's an issue.
Attachment:
DSC04988.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04989.JPG

Attachment:
DSC04991.JPG

I did use a different bolt and washer setup than the original design. It sticks out about 1/4" more, and that's just enough to cause trouble. I've thought of three solutions thus far: 1) back to low profile bolt heads, thinner washers; 2) 1/4" spacers for the rear wheels; and 3) move the axle back 1/4" by adjusting the control arm lengths. The last one has the most consequence as it slightly change the rear suspension (arms, Panhard, coilover angle/length). I've got some time to think it over. It's just going to rolling around in the garage for a while - no bumps. :mrgreen:

Generally, I'm quite happy. No serious issues have shown up. It's the first car I've designed, and given that, it's turning out pretty well so far.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 2:48 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

When cornering, and with the low tire pressure, the tire is going to deflect maybe an inch laterally.

Last edited by KB58 on September 14, 2019, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 4:58 pm 

KB58 wrote:
When cornering, and with the low tire pressure, the tire is going to deflect maybe an inch laterally.

Kurt, you could be right. However, it's hard for me to visualize that with these tires. They are very low profile, with really stiff sidewalls. If it is true, I have 3 tools (at least) to work with. All three could be used, if necessary. For example, moving the axle back 1/2"; low profile bolt heads; plus a spacer should give the distance needed.

Also, I could look at a V2 adjuster to move the bolt forward. The driveshaft, rear anti-roll bar, etc haven't been made yet, so no loss there.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 9:50 pm 

This might be a stupid suggestion (if so, apologies) but could you reverse the bolt so that the larger head is on the 'inside'...?
Maybe you don't have sufficient space to insert the bolt from the rear...
This idea won't help much but, added to one or two of your options, might just give that little extra clearance you need.

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 9:56 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
I've thought of three solutions thus far: 1) back to low profile bolt heads, thinner washers; 2) 1/4" spacers for the rear wheels; and 3) move the axle back 1/4" by adjusting the control arm lengths.
All three sound good to me, individually or in combination. I don't think moving the axle back a quarter inch would give you any driver-detectable problems, but hey, I'm a street guy nowadays and haven't had the seat of my pants recalibrated since '74.

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 10:28 pm 

MangPong wrote:
This might be a stupid suggestion (if so, apologies) but could you reverse the bolt so that the larger head is on the 'inside'...?
This idea won't help much but, added to one or two of your options, might just give that little extra clearance you need.

No that's not a stupid suggestion at all. In fact, the mounts are made to work that way. The thing that changes is that the chassis side is no longer adjustable. It's fixed in the traditional Locost 4-link configuration: control arms parallel to each other and to the road surface. It's a good, simple solution with "neutral steer" at the back axle.

Here's a photo with that setup. The bolt protruding is too short because it was just a trial to make sure the threads were clear and working from the back.
Attachment:
DSC04958.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 10:31 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:
I've thought of three solutions thus far: 1) back to low profile bolt heads, thinner washers; 2) 1/4" spacers for the rear wheels; and 3) move the axle back 1/4" by adjusting the control arm lengths.
All three sound good to me, individually or in combination. I don't think moving the axle back a quarter inch would give you any driver-detectable problems, but hey, I'm a street guy nowadays and haven't had the seat of my pants recalibrated since '74.

Thanks for the "Amen" on that, Jack. I've made everything adjustable, so altering the axle location isn't hard. A 1/4" change won't really make a significant difference in suspension performance.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 15, 2019, 5:25 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

If the bump was one wheel/roll from lifting one side, the hardware, a trim to the sleeve/outer bush length/inner spacer, and 1/4 wheel spacer may be all you need.

If this contact was from lifting both ends of the axle, then you may need to do more to ensure clearance in roll.

The adapter could be shortened and tapped instead of using a nut and washer on the inside to save about a 1/2 inch. You'd need to offset the rear of the link in the axle brkt the same amount if retaining the bushing at the front instead of going with heims on both ends.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 15, 2019, 6:02 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
At about 1-1/4" of bump, the tire sidewall barely makes contact with the upper control arm bolts. I've planned on 3" bump as my upper limit, so that's an issue.

Lonnie, looking at your pics I'm assuming that the axle assembly is centered? Pan hard rod adjustment takes care of that. Low profile bolt head and wheel spacers would be my fix.
I'm liking that button head bolt picture MV8 posted.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 15, 2019, 8:36 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
MangPong wrote:

No that's not a stupid suggestion at all. In fact, the mounts are made to work that way. The thing that changes is that the chassis side is no longer adjustable. It's fixed in the traditional Locost 4-link configuration: control arms parallel to each other and to the road surface. It's a good, simple solution with "neutral steer" at the back axle.

Here's a photo with that setup. The bolt protruding is too short because it was just a trial to make sure the threads were clear and working from the back.
Attachment:
DSC04958.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

I've got nothing constructive to add. I do have just one question. Do I detect masking tape painted over? I think it would be stronger if those frame tubes were welded together rather than just taped. But then again, I'm no degreed engineer. Maybe you've done the analysis. I wouldn't want you to have a Hempy event. :ack:

I'm Just kidding of course (OR IS HE?).

Maybe that is what the "W" is for in black Sharpie (JD, I found one that got away), a quality control inspection tag for rework. Yeah. That is probably what it is.

BTW, Looking good. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 15, 2019, 8:53 am 

I actually just had a constructive thought. Along the lines of MV8's cap screw. if you have access to a lathe, you could turn a new top-hat shaped washer like the pic below. That way the cap screw would be completely below the washer's face giving you even more clearance.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 15, 2019, 9:12 am 

I had the same idea as Chuck. And I think it will give you the most space when utilizing the bushing mount.

Another idea that I had is to utilize rod ends on the upper control arm. It would buy you a good bit of space. My guess for this idea to work well, is that both ends on the UCA would need to be rod ends to avoid binding of the busing in the axle. You could build a spacer or use misalignments spacers in the rear to take up the room in the axle mount. I think this counts as option #5

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: September 15, 2019, 12:10 pm 

@MV8
@horchoha
@rx7locost
@Mnot

Thank you gentlemen for all the ideas. I'm going to take a look at all of them. I'll answer your questions, though.

It was a one wheel bump that developed the interference problem. The rear axle is as centered as I can make it with hand measurements using rulers and a tape measure. Yes, the W's are to remind me to weld the joints when I dismantle the chassis for the final time to paint it. I decided I'd rather do good flat welds later, rather than do poor out of position welds now.

The good news is that there is certainly a solution. Just the button head bolt and a simple spacer would get me a lot. My near term goal is to get a roller and get it off the build table. I still have two biggies to do: front suspension design/build; and the back end of the car. I'll switch to those two now and work on this issue in the background.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 194  Next