LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 24, 2024, 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 195  Next
PostPosted: January 6, 2020, 10:12 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Speaking of floors, either mod the handle you have or fit a new brkt like so and lay it over.

Hey MV8,

It's now so close with the extra river rock ballast that I'm thinking I'll make a simple handle mounted to the top plate, so that a helper can push against my pulling. I think that would do it at this point.

I will check into the slab bolts, though. It would be nice to have a single-handed solution.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 7, 2020, 7:55 am 

Back when I was installing X-ray equipment in hospitals in the San Francisco area, I regularly came into issues with the Post/tension floors. The only real way to locate the mechanicals in the floor is to have an industrial X-Ray/inspection company come in to locate them. ANd it was not cheap! If you even nick the cable it can snap and pop out the end of the slab. And the floor tends to shake like an earthquake has hit. Plus now you have ruined the structural integrity of the floor. Not a good scene!

Thom

PostPosted: January 7, 2020, 7:27 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Lonnie-S wrote:
Speaking of floors, either mod the handle you have or fit a new brkt like so and lay it over.

Hey MV8,

It's now so close with the extra river rock ballast that I'm thinking I'll make a simple handle mounted to the top plate, so that a helper can push against my pulling. I think that would do it at this point.

I will check into the slab bolts, though. It would be nice to have a single-handed solution.

Cheers,

No need to mod anything. For a handle, insert a six foot long, 14ga 1x3 or 1x2 between the blue base and the yellow bender base, between the welded hex lugs. Fit washers between the two if there isn't a full inch of space. Insert the tube 4 different ways depending on where the yellow handle is.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 2:00 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
Back when I was installing X-ray equipment in hospitals in the San Francisco area, I regularly came into issues with the Post/tension floors. The only real way to locate the mechanicals in the floor is to have an industrial X-Ray/inspection company come in to locate them. ANd it was not cheap! If you even nick the cable it can snap and pop out the end of the slab. And the floor tends to shake like an earthquake has hit. Plus now you have ruined the structural integrity of the floor. Not a good scene!

Thom

Thanks for that input, Thom. I don't think I'm up for and an X-ray exam. I bet that would cost you a buck-fifty or two :(

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 2:03 pm 

No need to mod anything. For a handle, insert a six foot long, 14ga 1x3 or 1x2 between the blue base and the yellow bender base, between the welded hex lugs. Fit washers between the two if there isn't a full inch of space. Insert the tube 4 different ways depending on where the yellow handle is.

Excellent idea. I think this come under the "why didn't I think of that" category too. Actually, I think I even have some wood pieces that might do the trick. With the rock ballast, I don't need too much more counter force.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 5, 2020, 1:33 pm 

Here's the latest progress on my build. It's been very very slow as my wife fell ill again, and was bedridden for about a month. As time permitted, I did get some small things done.

I did come to terms with my tubing bender and developed a practical method of working single handed with the aid of a propane torch, a wooden lever and an old drafting chair as a second set of hands.
Attachment:
DSC05280.JPG

Attachment:
DSC05281.JPG

I was developing a technique of bending and rolling the upper boot hoop to match the Caterham lines. The plan was to make it in two pieces, joining them on the centerline using some 3/4" DOM tubing turned down on the mini-lathe to fit inside the ends & welding all 3 parts together. A one piece hoop would be too awkward for me to do on my own, both bending and rolling at the same time.

I started doing some practice pieces in cheap conduit to work out the details. While playing with the angle of the conduit , it struck me - the straight conduit worked just fine to impart the dynamic feeling I wanted at the rear. A straight hoop with just two 90° bends would also make my life a lot simpler. Duh! Why didn't' I think of that the first time?
Attachment:
DSC05287.JPG

So, I built some temporary locators to hold the upper hoop in place while I fitted the hoop and the verticals needed for the spare tire carrier and the rear roll bar braces.
Attachment:
DSC05294.JPG

Attachment:
DSC05298.JPG

Next, I fab'ed and located the verticals, and put my cardboard template for the cockpit piece (black line locates the fender shape) in place to make sure it worked with the hoop angle. I'm actually quite pleased with the setup.
Attachment:
DSC05303.JPG

Now that I'm happy, I'll full weld everything and get on to designing and building the spare tire carrier, which will also have the license plate brackets, and maybe the backup lights too.
Attachment:
DSC05312.JPG

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 5, 2020, 7:28 pm 

Looking good Lonnine! Splitting the boot top tube is the solution I chose. I knew keeping the two 90* bends in line would escape me.

Sorry to hear your wife was ailing. Good she is better.

Best,

PostPosted: February 5, 2020, 10:02 pm 

Looking pretty slick Lonnie, those lines will match your hair straight back when cruising. :D
Sorry to hear Anne had a rough spell, hope she's better now, give her a hug from wifey and myself.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: February 6, 2020, 12:30 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Looking good Lonnine! Splitting the boot top tube is the solution I chose. I knew keeping the two 90* bends in line would escape me.

Sorry to hear your wife was ailing. Good she is better.

Best,

It was becoming clear getting a nice roll as the curve approached the 90 degree bend was going to be difficult. You can only get so close to the bend with the tubing roller. It became apparent that doing all that on a full hoop was a multi-person job, and better split into two parts.

As it ended up with the simpler, straight hoop there was still a little twist to it, but that was easily fixed by hand and with the weld-up. To get it dead-on, I think a person would have to build a jig to hold it while bending.

Thanks for the concern about my wife.

PostPosted: February 6, 2020, 12:34 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Looking pretty slick Lonnie, those lines will match your hair straight back when cruising. :D

There ya go, my hair should just "flow around" that sleek boot. :mrgreen:

horchoha wrote:
. . . Sorry to hear Anne had a rough spell, hope she's better now, give her a hug from wifey and myself.

Thank you, Perry. She is amazing resilient and always keeps a positive attitude. She's impressive. Best to you and Karen.

Cheers,

PostPosted: April 8, 2020, 6:47 pm 

Looks great, Lonnie! I took the opposite route in that I made the hoops first (Two pcs. each, put in a piece of angle, tacked and welded, and sanded smooth), tacked them to the frame, them made the tie ins to size. Like you, I had the top almost horizontal, just didn't look right. I dropped it pretty much where you have yours, and the bottom not as much of a kick up angle (Wanted some storage space above the tank). I like the look of yours better, but, well, compromises... Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: April 14, 2020, 2:10 pm 

You may have noticed my build progress has been sporadic, with long lapses in activity. I'd like to acknowledge the reason for that, and post a small tribute to my partner of 51 years, and wife of 50 years, Anne, who I lost last week. She had a multi-year struggle with cancer, which finally took her in spite of all our best efforts. It was my privilege to be her primary caregiver throughout her illnesses. I hope when my time comes I exhibit even half the courage, grace and good humor she showed throughout her ordeal. It was inspiring.

She was my biggest cheerleader and supporter on the Locost project, and she will be sorely missed each day.
Attachment:
Anne-1969-Profile-Small.jpg

Attachment:
Anne-1972-Small.jpg

Attachment:
Anne & Lonnie-Nov-2019-Small.jpg

I hope to resume work on the build next week.

Thanks,

Lonnie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 14, 2020, 2:30 pm 

Karen and myself offer our most sincere condolences.
It was a pleasure to have met Anne this past winter. She was a delightful person and, along with yourself Lonnie, made us feel very welcome in your home.
Take care my friend.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 14, 2020, 2:43 pm 

Lonnie, So sorry, very sad news. I lost my brother-in-law a few years ago to cancer. It’s horrible. You have your fabulous project to attend to and keep your self going. Like Larry said to me last week “I wish we lived closer.” You need friends right now, and we’re here.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: April 14, 2020, 3:38 pm 

So sorry to hear this. Cancer is a monster. Mere words cannot express such sorrow.

My heart and best thoughts are with you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 195  Next