LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 193  Next
PostPosted: August 18, 2017, 6:10 pm 

So, I'm preparing my Locost to be a future autonomous vehicle by setting it up with driving shoes. I figure they aught to know how to drive, right?
Attachment:
DSC03899.JPG

Attachment:
DSC03900.JPG

Actually, what I'm doing is re-thinking my pedal arrangement. The gas pedal didn't work out. It took up too much space. So, I resized and re-spaced by pedal arrangement using my driving shoes, the narrowest shoes I have, with them being a reality check on what I lay out.

I think I have a new arrangement that will work.
Attachment:
DSC03898.JPG

What's going on is this. The very dark, black line under the blue painter's tape is the "fall line" for the face of the pedals. So , if you put a line straight down from the curved pedal face, and tangent to it, it would strike the black line.

The blue tape represents the pedal width, and the free space between the pieces of tape, is the actual spacing between them. I wish the pedals could be wider, but I need the spacing bewteen them to avoind hitting 2 pedals at once.

The red ink trace is the widest part of the right or left shoe if the ball of the foot is centered on the pedals indicated. Obviously, my feet won't be flat on the floorboards, but this gives me a way to visualize where they will be in 3-space while driving.

The second, light black line at the rear edge of the wood is my heel line. I.e., the place where my heel will strike when the ball of my foot is on the pedal while driving. I'll likely put an adjustable heel rest into the car attached to the 16 gauge undertray.

The accelerator pedal arrangement looks too close to the brake, but I'm putting a vertical plate on the pedal so I can jamb the sole of my shoe all the way right when I switch off the brake. I think I'll be OK. Those are "famous last words", right? It will be close!

Now I'm off to do the accelerator pedal rework and create the mounting bracketry.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 20, 2017, 4:16 pm 

Yiiow! So the accelerator never gets in front of the brake pedal? Thought about barefoot? :lol:

PostPosted: August 20, 2017, 5:30 pm 

vroom wrote:
Yiiow! So the accelerator never gets in front of the brake pedal? Thought about barefoot? :lol:

No, it does. It's also lower down, which doesn't show in the trace on the floor board. So, you rotate on the heel of your foot to get there, but it will be tight.

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 26, 2017, 7:39 am 
We are Slotus!

vroom wrote:
Yiiow! So the accelerator never gets in front of the brake pedal? Thought about surgery? :lol:
There, fixed that for ya...

:cheers:
JD "12W" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 26, 2017, 11:22 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
vroom wrote:
Yiiow! So the accelerator never gets in front of the brake pedal? Thought about surgery? :lol:
There, fixed that for ya...

JD "12W" Kemp

Hey, JD, did security finally break down again and they let you back on this system? :rofl: Naw, glad to see you back!

Nope, no surgery yet, but I did look up "Chinese foot binding" on the Internet to see if that would solve my problem. It looked kind of grim and I figured at my age, I'd just hurt more every morning. Besides, I'd have to give up tap dancing, and I'm just now getting the routine from "Singing in the Rain" down. Here I am (in between fab'in cup holders for my build):
Attachment:
Gene Kelly.jpg

Thanks for stoppin' by, JD! I only seem to attract homeless people to my build now, so I appreciate the visit.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 26, 2017, 12:55 pm 

Hey Lonnie!
I ain't homeless yet... The forum may have kicked me out, but TWWTFM still loves me... So far, today...

Anybody ever told you that you look a LOT like Gene Kelly?

JDK

PostPosted: August 27, 2017, 10:15 am 

JD-In-Disguise wrote:
Hey Lonnie!
. . . Anybody ever told you that you look a LOT like Gene Kelly?

JDK

Of course, my mom would have said "he looks a lot like me, but not quite as good." :mrgreen:

Anyway, it's nice to see you're operational here again, JD.

Cheers,

PostPosted: August 30, 2017, 4:47 pm 
We are Slotus!

Testing, 1 - 2 - 3...
Using my phone, via HamDip's internet service... See any of them nasty ol' 403s hangin round???

Peace, Love & Internet-
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 30, 2017, 7:41 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Testing, 1 - 2 - 3...
Using my phone, via HamDip's internet service... See any of them nasty ol' 403s hangin round???

Peace, Love & Internet-
JD

I''l reply to this post and see what happens, JD. If you don't see a subsequent post complaining about a 403 error, that means I replied with out issue. Fingers crossed -- here goes.

Lonnie

PostPosted: September 11, 2017, 8:07 pm 

The accelerator pedal has been revised, and I'm pretty happy with it. I needed more room, i.e., needed the pedal to go over to the trans tunnel side more. I did want to remake everything, so I came up with a simple (minded?) means of doing so. I cut it down and used a 5/16" rod, bent to suit, to move the pedal end of it over and 1-1/2 or so.

Making the rod part detachable using some machine screws, I can replace the rod/pedal segment without having to re-do (or remove) the pedal & its brackets. To wit:
Attachment:
Complete-Pedal-1.JPG

I decided to delay making the actual pedal end piece until I can sit in the proper posture in the car, and make sure all the geometry is just right. It would be easy to guess wrong, and then have to make it all over again. Here is my driving shoe in place simulation the approximate angle my shoe is expected to make with the pedal in normal driving position.
Attachment:
Complete-Pedal-2.JPG

The quadrant pulls the cable nicely as the pedal is depressed. It stays just tangent to it throughout the range of motion. I decided to add some aluminum fences to ensure the cable can't slip off. I will probably add an access hole in the quadrant so that getting to the forward, top screw for install/de-install is a little easier.
Attachment:
Complete-Pedal-3.JPG

It has been too hot and sticky here in the last 10 days or so to do much in the garage/shop. However, I have been modeling up some parts for the pedals and pedal box. I bought the Wilwood balance bar kit, and that's one of the things I modeled in 3D while I couldn't work in the shop.
Attachment:
Wilwood Balance Bar Kit.jpg

Attachment:
Wilwood Balance Bar Kit - Small Exploded View.jpg

We're cooling off here now, and I hope to get in a solid week to 10 days as the weather shifts towards Fall.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 12, 2017, 12:31 am 

Looks good Lonnie :cheers:
Have you considered using ESNA nuts instead of hex nuts?
A lot less worry.

Now I know you're gonna look ESNA up :lol:

Or with my luck you know all about ESNA nuts.................
Then the jokes on me

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 12, 2017, 3:05 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Looks good Lonnie :cheers:
Have you considered using ESNA nuts instead of hex nuts?
A lot less worry.

Now I know you're gonna look ESNA up :lol:

Or with my luck you know all about ESNA nuts.................
Then the jokes on me

Indeed, I did have to look up ESNA nuts, Perry. I've used that style on occasion. I didn't know what they were called, though. The real ones, aircraft grade ones, are "use once and throw-away", I believe. The ones I've used are grade 5 from my local hardware store for mechanical things or "el cheapos" from Home Depot for home projects. I actually did plan to use one on the 1/4" bolt as back up to the hex nut on the 1/4" bolt sticking out of the plane of the photos. That hex nut sets the compression of the bolt and steel flat washers against nylon washers - tight enough to prevent slop, but loose enough to rotate easily when lubricated with lithium grease. I had to get a longer than needed bolt, so that the un-threaded shank was long enough to go all the way through a bronze sleeve (not visible) that it rotates in.

The stop nut was just something I had lying around. I'll get a better one for the "production" version. If you could re-use those ESNA nuts, I'd use more of them. I like the concept, but they are a lot more expensive that the traditional hex nut/lock washer/flat washer combination I'm used to using, and they can be re-used. Thanks for gently suggesting them, however.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 13, 2017, 8:24 am 

I would not be to worried about reusing Elastic Stop Nuts. Aircraft assembly standards are a lot different then auto. As long as you do not use a high speed electric wrench for assembly, you should be able to typically reuse the same nut 10 times and still maintain the lockinq ability. The only disclaimer is if you use an odd-ball coating or plating. Dave W

PostPosted: September 13, 2017, 9:19 am 

When a nyloc stop-nut becomes a bit too loose to function as intended, if a new one is not available, "someone" can gingerly heat it up with a propane torch to lightly melt the plastic just a bit. This will/may restore the functionality of the stop-nut for one more use.

I'm not recommending anyone else use this technique, mind you. I'm just saying I've seen "someone" do this. :mrgreen:

Decode: "someone" = me

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 13, 2017, 12:15 pm 

@davew
@rx7locost

Dave, Chuck;

Thank you both for the info/ideas with respect to the ESNA-style nuts.

We're fortunate in our little town to have an old-time type hardware store that still carries a big selection of fasteners, washers, nuts, bushings, spacers, etc. and I can usually do a pretty good job of prototyping of any kind of fastening situation. However, it is very expensive to buy things like grade 8 components 1-2 at a time. I rarely walk out without spending $15-$20 when I'm in setting something up.

So, once I find a good thing that works, like #10 machine screws, I tend to order them in quantity from McMaster-Carr. They actually do have a pretty good assortment of ESNA-style nuts, including an assortment kit. I'll have to take a look at their offerings in detail.

ESNA-Nut page ==> https://www.mcmaster.com/#elastic-stop-nuts/=19d7w3z

Assortment kit ==> https://www.mcmaster.com/#elastic-stop-nuts/=19d83r9

Thanks again (Perry too),

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 193  Next