LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently August 19, 2018, 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 121  Next
PostPosted: May 9, 2018, 4:53 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
I'd love to contribute something here as I had a bit of trouble with my throwout bearing going through the driven plate. Alas I don't remember the solution :o

Well, we're going to give you half credit for at least remembering to remember, Larry. How's the weather up there in Seattle? Are you about ready to get out on the road in your Locost?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 9, 2018, 6:07 pm 

Getting half credits got me through school Lonnie so of course I'll take it.

Temps bouncing at the 70 mark. Up a little, down a little with not much rain. Plan on doing some driving this weekend. Any Locost plans for you or is the improving weather going to push you outside?

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 10, 2018, 9:04 am 

We've had a rather cool and cloudy Spring season so far, Larry. I'm fine with that as it makes it easy to work in the garage during the afternoon. Usually the sun beats in on me and I sweat a lot, as the big garage door faces just about due west. :evil:

I'm trying to work on my build every day. I'm doing a lot of annoying little nudgy tasks right now, but they have to get done, so I'm sticking with it. They will be even harder later as more stuff goes in the build. Some day this baby will be a sports car!

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 10, 2018, 11:19 am 

The weather here has just been perfect for building! Not looking forward to the dog days of summer...

PostPosted: May 11, 2018, 10:53 am 

RandyBMC wrote:
The weather here has just been perfect for building! Not looking forward to the dog days of summer...

I'm with you, Randy. Today (Friday) we have clouds, sprinkles and a light, cool wind at about 62 degrees Fahrenheit - very Seattle-like. It's perfect working weather. When you're moving around a lot and doing physical things, it feels like 70 degrees in 10 minutes anyway. I've got great lighting in the garage, so I'm good with it!

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 11, 2018, 11:40 am 

Thank Lonnie, only I can not catch something. That is, do you want to make an interesting kinematic scheme on the clutch pedal in order to remove the efforts from the pedal?

"And even if they say " Yes, let them talk!
But no one - no one dies in vain,
This is better than vodka and from colds.
Others will come, replacing comfort
At the risk and inordinate work,-
Will you not passed route." V.S. Vysotsky

PostPosted: May 12, 2018, 11:19 am 

marafonets wrote:
Thank Lonnie, only I can not catch something. That is, do you want to make an interesting kinematic scheme on the clutch pedal in order to remove the efforts from the pedal?

Actually, it was necessary because the master cylinder from the hydraulic clutch conversion kit had very different mechanical needs than the one I initially designed my clutch pedal setup around. The little kinematic design allowed me to preserve all the work I had done on the pedal box and the pedals themselves yet provide for the much longer throw required by the new master cylinder.

We have a saying in English that goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention." It essentially means when the need for some solution becomes absolute, you are forced to find a way of achieving it.

It was a very small space left to fit a design into as well. However, I have subsequently also designed and fabricated a pedal stop that lives in the same space as the kinematic linkage too. I'm feeling quite proud of myself these days. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 17, 2018, 11:23 am 

I'm still working on the pedal box. It's coming along, but rather slowly. Like designing the braking system using Fred Puhn's book, I'm learning a lot. The good side to all this effort is that very little about you car falls into the "black box" or "why the hell did someone do that?" category. You know everything.

It's going to have all the bells and whistles like return springs, proper stops and rests where appropriate, etc. Because of extreme packaging restraints (my Mustang donor's under dash area appears like a bowling alley to me now) each little design problem gets amplified appreciably.

What may appear to be a sow's ear to some is a silk purse to me because I know I saved a lot of good fabrication work to adapt to a changed situation. Here are some random shots from the on-going work.
Attachment:
File comment: Completed clutch assembly. Perhaps the answer to the question, "How complicated can a fellow make a clutch setup?" [LOL]
DSC04281.JPG
DSC04281.JPG [ 143.58 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

Added in some at-rest pedal stops to permit taking slop out of system and take strain off master cylinders with pedals at rest.
Attachment:
File comment: Added cross bracing for pedal mounts and included at-rest pedal stops. Spring loaded version on far side will be the production version.
DSC04279.JPG
DSC04279.JPG [ 144.04 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Completed cross bracing and stops installed on brake pedal mounts.
DSC04287.JPG
DSC04287.JPG [ 136.01 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

Originally, I was going to use an inline hydraulic pressure switch for the tail lights. After reading comments from builders on this site who regretted doing so, I reconsidered. The brake light switch on the 2007 Jeep CJ was the smallest and simplest one I could find online, so I adapted it for my own setup. Packaging is so tight that even this little switch had a hard time finding a home. It now lives down between the clutch and brake pedal mounts in a bracket I manage to piggy back onto the clutch apparatus. I have a plan in my head for a mechanical link to the brake pedal. Another reason for choosing this locating is decent access to it if it goes bad.
Attachment:
File comment: Jeep CJ brake light switch mounted between brake and clutch pedal mounts.
DSC04286.JPG
DSC04286.JPG [ 138.85 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

The pedal box is actually further along then these pictures indicate. After I finish the brake light switch it's pretty much ready for paint. I do have to decide if I want to turn down some custom pins on my mini-lathe. The commercial ones are 3-4 thousands undersize, and collectively, they produce a little more play than I want. The static pedal rests get rid of most of it, so I may just want to move on and return to it later in the build.

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 17, 2018, 4:23 pm 

Nice pedals. I have never seen a design like that. Their cool!

My build : viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17160

PostPosted: May 18, 2018, 11:05 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Nice pedals. I have never seen a design like that. Their cool!

Thank you very much. I do appreciate the comment.

As far as I can tell, they're original to my little, pea-sized brain.

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 18, 2018, 11:50 am 

Some of the most interesting pedals I have seen Lonnie.

Almost a shame they will be hidden from view.

PostPosted: May 19, 2018, 8:59 am 

cheapracer wrote:
Some of the most interesting pedals I have seen Lonnie.

Almost a shame they will be hidden from view.

Hey, thanks, Cheapy. With all this praise I'm getting, I guess I might be the front runner for "Locost Pedals of the Year Award 2018", don't ya think?

Hmmmm, I better start thinking about an acceptance speech:

"First, I'd like to thank my third grade teacher, Mrs. Milenz, for believing in me, and convincing me I could do my times tables, even up to 13x13. Second, I'd like to thank my hyper-critical father who convinced me that little boys who couldn't solve the hard problems in math ended up in purgatory, and had to dance around endlessly in pink tutus and ballet slippers. Third, I'd like to thank my sweet (and smart) Irish mom, for being the opposite of my dad. . . . < much more later> . . ."

Oh, this is going to be exciting!

Cheers, and keep the laughs coming

PostPosted: May 19, 2018, 11:25 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
don't ya think?

.... don't push it.

PostPosted: May 19, 2018, 11:46 am 

Sorry. I got excited. It must have been the Royal Wedding that set me off. It won't happen again. :wink:

PostPosted: May 19, 2018, 11:15 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Sorry. I got excited. It must have been the Royal Wedding that set me off. It won't happen again. :wink:

Attachments:
choices.jpg
choices.jpg [ 28.52 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 121  Next