LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 195  Next
PostPosted: January 24, 2012, 11:41 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo Lonnie-
Nice looking bandsaw!!! I've used one of those a few times, they do cut metal straight and true and do it quickly! (and yes, careful with those fingers!) That would have been my weapon of choice for cutting chassis tubing, but I didn't have one. I got by, but it will be so much easier and better quality with that l'il jewel! Well done, Sir!

:cheers:
JD

Thanks, JD. It wasn't in my plan initially. However, with all the 3D modeling and redesign of the chassis I've got hundreds of hours in this project now and it seemed foolish to squander all that work for lack of a good tool. Martin Coghill cut out all his Locost with a hacksaw and you've seen how well his turned out. A patient person can do an excellent job with simple tools. Martin is a young guy though with lots of energy and good eyes. I tried the hacksaw and even used excellent Lennox blades, but it's just too much to take on for me. I haven't counted up the cuts that would be required, but it would have to be in the hundreds.

My hands are sore just thinking about it.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 24, 2012, 11:50 am 

laserracer wrote:
Nice bandsaw Lonnie..i just love that work of art ..that is your build table.. :cheers:

KIWI Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Given it's the first complex 3D structure I've actually fabricated myself, I'm quite pleased. It certainly amplifies my respect for people who build those beautiful race cars or airplanes where every joint, weld and part appears to be perfect.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 24, 2012, 11:53 am 

monte montemagni wrote:
Hey Lonnie! First class saw and table! Now the fun stuff begins! Looking forward to following your most miticulous build!!

Congrats!
M

Thanks, Monte. I'm getting pretty excited too. It took me a while to get to the real Locost starting line, but I'm a lot smarter and better prepared, so it was worth it in the end.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 24, 2012, 12:03 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Have you got a stick of lube for the blade? Don't run it too fast, steel takes awhile to cut at the proper speed. Though there is not much material in 16 gauge material.

Wait till you use that thing on aluminum, you'll be wanting to carve billet engine blocks next! :)

Thanks for the tip on the lube stick, Marcus. I'd never heard of it until a couple of days ago. I had to order new saw blades and a shop in L.A. that makes them up from Lennox and Starrett coil stock, told me about it. It's literally in the mail.

The bandsaw has a pretty impressive digital control. It will display either the RPMs of the wheels or the Feet Per Minute (FPM) of the blade. The control is a dial that allows very precise control of FPM. If you want 121 FPM exactly, you can actually dial that in. It's pretty cool.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 24, 2012, 12:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie said:
Quote:
with all the 3D modeling and redesign of the chassis I've got hundreds of hours in this project now and it seemed foolish to squander all that work for lack of a good tool.

Oh, you mean like we do things at Team Slotus, "Measure with a micrometer, mark with a Sharpie*, cut with an axe"??? :rofl:

*When we can actually find the damned Sharpies, that is!!!

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 24, 2012, 2:05 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:

I take it James is refusing to point with his finger anymore? :rofl:

PostPosted: January 24, 2012, 2:43 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:

I take it James is refusing to point with his finger anymore? :rofl:

He's done the "Pull my finger" joke so often that when he points a finger, I run upwind about 30 feet. :ack:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 2, 2012, 6:21 pm 

I finished the build table layout this afternoon. I hope to be cutting first metal prior to the Super Bowl this Sunday, but it may be early next week instead.

Cheers,
Attachment:
Finished-Lower-Layout.jpg

Attachment:
Layout-From-Drv-Cmpt.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 2, 2012, 6:25 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lookin' Good, Lonnie! I like the "Slotus Racing Green" centerline...
Now, let's cut some metal and get something built!!!
JDK

PostPosted: February 2, 2012, 6:44 pm 
Toyotaphobe

That's not a centerline, it's a racin' stripe.

If you don't begin with the racin' stripe and build from there they end up just being decorative. His car is really going to be fast!!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 12:41 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Lookin' Good, Lonnie! I like the "Slotus Racing Green" centerline...
Now, let's cut some metal and get something built!!!
JDK

So, you noticed my homage to Team Slotus, eh, JD? Does this make me an official team member or is there a secret handshake and pass phrase I need to know?

Cheers,

Last edited by Lonnie-S on February 3, 2012, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 12:51 am 

carguy123 wrote:

If you don't begin with the racin' stripe and build from there they end up just being decorative. His car is really going to be fast!!

Exact-a-mundo, JD numero dos. It's called transference. The car won't know it's fast unless the build table tells it so and the racing stripe is just the right tool to set the proper tone of communication between the two.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 9:33 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
carguy123 wrote:

Exact-a-mundo, JD numero dos. It's called transference. The car won't know it's fast unless the build table tells it so and the racing stripe is just the right tool to set the proper tone of communication between the two.

Both of y'all have been in the Hornitos again, and ya AIN'T BEEN SHARIN!!! Dammit!

:rofl:

JDK

PostPosted: February 3, 2012, 9:36 am 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
So, you noticed my homage to Team Slotus, eh, JD? Does this make me an official team member or is there a secret handshake and pass phrase I need to know?

I'm honored, Lonnie... Really...

Team Slotus is kind of like Margaritaville. It's not a place or a thing, it's more a state of mind. I think you been there for years!
JDK

PostPosted: February 12, 2012, 9:37 pm 

Well, finally, I'm building the silly thing. I wouldn't blame anyone if they thought I never actually do it. However, I knew it would happen.

My design is similar to, but also significantly differs from, the Haynes Roadster. No one else has worked out the details. This is both the prototype and the final product. I had a last minute concern last week and wanted to take the time to re-examine the front frame and potential wishbone attachment points. I've never been a fan of the way either the Champion design or Haynes Roadster were done at front. Preserving the option of doing it that way was something I wanted to do, however, just in case my own solution (TBD) isn't as good.

My horizontal band saw needed a tune up because it has been sitting for some weeks. I had a piece of scrap RHS just 5mm longer than FF1 and FF4 together. So, why not get a 2-fer and make those two members as first pieces? After one trial cut on true scrap to verify squareness all-around, here they are:

Attachment:
Sm-First-2-Pieces.jpg

As the Fonz would say "Perfect-A-Mundo." They fit just right.

Thereafter, I cut, placed, verified and blocked-in in my first serious pieces of chassis. Pretty boring stuff, but today is a significant day simply because of them. It's the start of the actual build.

Attachment:
Sm-First-Serious-Metal.jpg

A good due diligence search convinced me that there was nothing I could do within the capacities of a home shop and Locost budget to prevent or correct for distortion entirely during the build/weld-up. It' going to happen. I've got to suck it up and correct for it after the fact. :cry: However, I felt I could get better dimensional control if I make sort of mini-jigs using a layout table. the idea is to build certain sub-sections on this and then erect them in place, tack, and et viola, matching, more precise parts side-to-side. Fortunately, I had plenty of 2x4s and a sheet of MDF left over from my mock-up. So, I took an afternoon and made up this guy.

Attachment:
Sm-Layout-Table.jpg

Obligations call tomorrow. It may be Tuesday before I can get back to this.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 195  Next