LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 193  Next
PostPosted: July 5, 2012, 9:20 pm 

laserracer wrote:
. . . <snip> . . .
PS i think if JD and i were to join forces as the new super hero team.. slocostman and goatboy..we could beat both Godzilla and king kong :shock:

Sounds like a winning combination to me, Dave. Could we call the combination Slo-Goatboy? :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 5, 2012, 11:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

While I like the concept of teaming with Kiwi Dave to combat eeee-ville wherever it may be, I'm just going to have to insist on top billing here...
"Captain Slotus and his Kiwi sidekick, Goat Boy." It even sounds better... :mrgreen:

Quote:
Could we call the combination Slo-Goatboy?

No, and no... Just no... Wrong, on sooo many levels...

:rofl:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 5, 2012, 11:28 pm 

IM thinking ....The Hulk Kiwi.. and his side kick..SPIDER GOAT JD..Has a unique awesomeness about it :D

PostPosted: July 5, 2012, 11:58 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Sounds like you guys have both been into the goatweed again.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 6, 2012, 4:56 pm 

carguy123 wrote:

Geez, I hope you're not talking about Horny Goat Weed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epimedium), the Chinese Aphrodisiac. Thank goodness there's two oceans between them, eh?

Anonymous

PostPosted: July 6, 2012, 10:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Lonnie-S wrote:
carguy123 wrote:

Geez, I hope you're not talking about Horny Goat Weed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epimedium), the Chinese Aphrodisiac. Thank goodness there's two oceans between them, eh?

Anonymous

Well neither one of them is Chinese so there's nothing to worry about. That is unless a Chinese guy were to walk by at the wrong time . . .

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: July 6, 2012, 10:14 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
carguy123 wrote:

Anonymous

No chance, Dude, not happenin' in this lifetime... I got some standards*, low though they may be, and Kiwi Dave don't qualify. I'm reasonably certain the feelin' is mutual...

*For one thing, I never kiss anybody that can grow a moustache, except Aunt Rachel and she can't help it...

EDIT- That rule applies to Chinese passers-by as well.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 6, 2012, 11:06 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
EDIT- That rule applies to Chinese passers-by as well.

Well then you're lucky that most Chinese people can't grow a mustache worth a darn.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: July 7, 2012, 3:54 am 

SORRY jD but i just couldnt be attracted to you in that way...its his cologne..no not old spice.. more like ..old fiberglass and resin :shock: ..its a real turn off for me :ack: ..we will have to stay just friends :wink:

PS sorry for messing up your Thread Lonnie

PostPosted: July 7, 2012, 6:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
PS sorry for messing up your Thread Lonnie

Yes, I second that... :oops: And I'm guilty of starting it... :oops:

While this sort of nonsense is common place, and even welcomed, in the Team Slotus build log, we have to remember that we're "guests" in Lonnie's space here, and we should let him continue to document work on his car and post his discussions thereof. (Whoa, I said "thereof"... :shock: )

We now resume our normal programming...

PostPosted: July 7, 2012, 1:43 pm 

@JD
@Kiwi Dave
@carguy123

No problem, fellows. I need some reason to get up out of the rocking chair every once and a while.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 7, 2012, 2:11 pm 

I've pretty much got the new tunnel design done. I say pretty much, because I decided to test out my donor hand brake assembly and make absolutely sure it would fit before finalizing the design and doing new drawings.

My memory was that it was an easy fit, but my memory is a scary thing to base a welded steel design on. So, I spent an hour digging everything out of storage. Of course, the hand brake was at the very bottom of the last storage tub I pulled out of the racks. The silly thing fits, but isn't appropriate for the tunnel top, which is where I planned to put it (photo). It sticks up too far (the photo shows it as low as it goes) and is going to be a comfort and safety issue. Besides, the silly thing weighs a ton. It's at least 3X the weight of the steel it would be mounted on. I'm going to find an alternative to it that's smaller and lighter and has a lower profile.

Attachment:
Mustang-Handbrake.jpg

I got to thinking about a '40 Ford hot rod I had years ago. The previous owner had put an electric emergency brake in it. You pushed on the brake pedal and threw a rocker switch, and it was on. Taking it off was just the reverse. Put pressure on the brake pedal then throw the switch the other way and it was off. He was a truck driver and said he got it off a truck. I have no idea which truck, but I'm going to poke around the Internet and see if I can find such an animal. If not, I'll look for a mechanical setup that fits my tunnel better, or will mount along side it, not on top.

Attachment:
3rd-Gen-Tunnel.jpg

I'm thinking a piece 1/2"x1/2" (19mm x 19mm) of RHS placed inside the upper rectangle of 1"x1/2" RHS on the tunnel top at both sides will finish this design structurally. It should be very strong indeed and I was hoping to mount the hand brake to tabs welded to it and the 1"x1/2", with the handle fitting at least half an inch or so down into the tunnel top. I'll see what I can find today and then finalize the design and do the drawings. Then I've got to build it. Too bad there isn't 3D printing for space frames yet. It would be done in an hour or two in that case. I can make an STL file easily.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 7, 2012, 5:37 pm 

Hi Lonnie .. hey what about a ..line lok ..like the drag guys use for there burnouts..dont think it would be legal as a handbrake over here..but may be ok in the states..its just a solenoid and a switch..or ive mounted my handbrake from underneath so its slightly sunken into the tunnel ?..i have since shortened the handbrake lever by 2''

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 7, 2012, 8:58 pm 

Hey Dave,

I found the line lock devices online today. It sounds very similar in operation to what I had in the '40 Ford. They're on the order of $270 US, which I think is pretty pricey for what they are. There is a decent hand brake for hot rods from a company here name Lokar. It's quite nice, but expensive too. It's about $100 for the handbrake, but the stuff to hook it up is another 50 bucks or so, which gives you about $160-170 with taxes and shipping. It would fit very well because it's fairly short and I can recess it somewhat and it folds pretty flat.

Attachment:
Lokar-E-Brake.jpg

I don't think there will be a problem with this unit, but I'm going to look around for one out of a small car too.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 7, 2012, 9:07 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Why not just make a newer, prettier, shorter handle for the unit you have?

I can explain it to you,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 193  Next