LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 194  Next
PostPosted: September 9, 2014, 7:42 am 

Lonnie, cut it out, your weeks-long detailed examination of live axle behaviour far outstrips the 5 minutes it took me to model that.
I might poke a bit of fun at "doing science" and thereby not actually building a car, but that's only because we differ in that I'm more willing to put up with idiosyncratic dynamic behaviour. it will be interesting to see, once you're into your development phase, how the various modeled behaviours you've generated relate to real-world dynamics.

I have every confidence, given your high level of detail orientation, once you get the car together, it will be exemplary.

so, carry on! ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: September 9, 2014, 8:43 am 

robbovius wrote:
Lonnie, cut it out, your weeks-long detailed examination of live axle behaviour far outstrips the 5 minutes it took me to model that.
I might poke a bit of fun at "doing science" and thereby not actually building a car, but that's only because we differ in that I'm more willing to put up with idiosyncratic dynamic behaviour. it will be interesting to see, once you're into your development phase, how the various modeled behaviours you've generated relate to real-world dynamics.

I have every confidence, given your high level of detail orientation, once you get the car together, it will be exemplary.

so, carry on! ;-)

Thank you, sir.

No, actually Rob, your idea about bending the plate rather than cutting and welding 3 pieces together is a very good one. Welding is going to be a real challenge, at least welding and not having the pieces move around a lot. My only concern is about my personal ability to bend them with enough accuracy given my tools and experience. I have your example to follow, of course.

I haven' returned to my notion (based on seeing your example) of making the brackets by using big angle stock, say 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" or 2"x2", which might cut down on the welding quite a bit. I'll have to fiddle with that some later and see if it's viable.

I do appreciate your input, Rob.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 6:45 pm 

With all the best intentions, I have let too many projects and obligations creep into my life. At The Pentagon they call this phenomenon "Mission Creep" and it is unfortunately way too easy to do. We just got back from our mountain get-away home where I spent the first project-free visit there in over 2 years. Man it was nice! Now I see why we bought the place. :yay:

But, the problem is the Locost and all associated activities sat for the same period a hundred miles away. I've got this way cool metalworking class scheduled and paid for in October. Now, I've got to spend some time creating a worthwhile project to tackle during that class, plus work on the Locost, plus do the several projects here at home I foolishly promised to do. Arrrrgh! At this rate I'll be too old to drive before our Locost is finished and roadworthy. The realities of my situation grabbed me like a T-shirt full of fish hooks this morning and I have resolved to change it immediately.

With significant holes in my available time between now and the new year (home projects, metalworking class, Thanksgiving Holiday, time away for Christmas/New Years, etc.) I'm going to focus on finishing the designs for the suspension (F & R), motor mounts, transmission mounts, ant-roll bar systems (F & R), steering and so on. And, I'm going to dig out that detailed project plan I did, revamp it with new due dates, and actually follow it this time.

I'm thinking a target date of May 1, 2015 is adequate to create a running, rolling, steering, braking Locost even if it lacks body panels, mufflers, lights, fenders, full wiring, complete seating and legal registration. Sometimes you just have to say things out loud and obligate yourself. So, that's what I'm doing here. On the flip side, I stated telling everyone here this morning that after January 1, 2015 I am just not available for any projects of any kind for any reason, including that 3-day trip to "Aunt Tilly's" even if it's her 80th birthday. I hope she makes 81, if you catch my drift!

To borrow from Mammy Yokum, "I has Spoken."

Cheers all,

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 10:05 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
The realities of my situation grabbed me like a T-shirt full of fish hooks this morning

Quote:
To borrow from Mammy Yokum, "I has Spoken."

"A T-Shirt full of fish hooks" sounds more like Tom Robbins or maybe Hunter Thompson than it does one of the denizens of "Dog Patch" but I admire your resolve any way. Now get busy! We're burnin' daylight!

Regards-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 10:23 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
"A T-Shirt full of fish hooks" sounds more like Tom Robbins or maybe Hunter Thompson than it does one of the denizens of "Dog Patch" but I admire your resolve any way.
Boy, JD. Not many of us can remember L'il Abner and friends. 'course Senator Jack S. Phogbound is still in office... :mrgreen:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 11:00 pm 

I remember Daisy Mae real well.

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 11:18 pm 
We are Slotus!

benny_toe wrote:

Yeah... It was her... polka dots... Yeah, that's what I remember...
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 11:50 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
You were a teenager then, right, Larry? I was kinda partial to Wolf Gal :twisted:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: September 29, 2014, 11:58 pm 

I don't remember 'Wolf Gal' much Tom. I think when she started appearing in the strip I was off to 'Pogo'. Was a teen then. I think I was around 7 or 8 (1947 - 1948) when I was first exposed to Al Capp.

Ah, how much has happened in the mean time. Been a interesting ride so far. Could do with out gout though.

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 9:06 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Sometimes you just have to say things out loud and obligate yourself

as I have so often said over the course of the B-3 project, (adn other projects as well) "commit to a path, and follow thru"

Lonnie, you're still talking too much, and adding work where you need not. rewite a project plan? are you kidding? that's extra paperwork that will take away from actual building time. here's what to do with your project plan... THROW IT AWAY.

adding new due dates will just be setting yourself up with new dates to miss, not to mention taking time away from actual building. did I mention that?
here's what you should do: everytime you want to fart around with some paper - be it project plan, paper models of suspension linkage, etc. spend that time out in the shop making sparks fly. CUT METAL.

as far as your suspension design, pick one tomorrow. seriously. you've done enough science for 5 cars. pick one, and build it. expect that - like any suspension system - it will be full of compromises. doesn't matter. pick the one that looks the best to you, and then start cutting metal. COMMIT, and follow thru.

lastly, work on it every day, even if its only for 5-10 minutes. That's real progress.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 12:52 pm 

robbovius wrote:
as far as your suspension design, pick one tomorrow. seriously. you've done enough science for 5 cars. pick one, and build it. expect that - like any suspension system - it will be full of compromises. doesn't matter. pick the one that looks the best to you, and then start cutting metal.

What he said. These cars just don't require the perfect suspension. The unsprung/sprung weight ratio is high no matter what you do so the ride will never be soft, and they lean so little in the turns that camber changes just don't matter that much. Any approximately correct suspension will work in these cars.

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 8:03 pm 

What was it that Colin Chapman said? Oh yeah, it's in my signature line.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.”

Start cutting tubes and sticking them together

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 8:19 pm 

Thanks gents for the encouragement. I think that's what it was anyway? :wink:

@robbovius
I'll be stripping out lots of stuff from my old plan which was pretty complete. For example, I'll be reducing the wiring to "Do whatever it takes to get the EDIS system working in "Failed ECU mode", i.e., with out one. My seat is going to be the old Mustang foam stuck on two pieces of ply with the backrest piano hinged to the bottom" and things like that.

I just work better when I have a plan. It also keeps me from backtracking too much.

@robbovius
@nick47
I'm stuck with respect to the front suspension. There is zero engineering data available on the spindles I have with the SLA adapters. I gotta do that one myself.

Any way I go, there's a lot of custom stuff to design. There's everything from the pedal box (mixed cable clutch, hydraulic brakes) to the steering system, dashboard hoop, etc., etc. Like you say, Rob, you just have to do it. When I do these plans, it scares the sh*t out of me and motivates me.

It also give me something to point to with respect to wifey, and say "See, I'm way behind. We can't possibly go on that walking art tour of such-and-such a place. It will kill two whole days of work." Trust me, it's a worthwhile tool to have. :lol:

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 8:53 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
There is zero engineering data available on the spindles

Your doing OK. Spindles are like spindles. Do some stuff and when it doesn't work out - you can use those parts to beat on the other parts that didn't work out. Then your wife will be able to hear that and know you are making progress and that your working too hard to make a lot of side trips Plus you will get exercise and start to look all manly. It's a win win situation. Eventually you will look forward to visiting Aunt Emily.

I've been avoiding the garage for days now, so will take my own advice soon. Probably not tonight though...

Life is what happens while your making plans, so you have to let some of it happen!
:cheers:

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 9:00 pm 
The voice of reason

WRT the work on your rear suspension, I was going to gently suggest that you give on some area of the design or approach. For instance if you really want to do R&D with adjustable mountings, then give on wether you are using rubber bushes or not. A prototype mule is supposed to represent the final product, not actually be it. When you find what you want after adjusting the suspension - then you can bolt on mounts suitable for rubber bushes. Or maybe someday you will find the perfect adjuster setup, but don't make it a blocker on progress. You can always bolt something else on.

My work is done here! I am going to go design a bigger stick to beat my project with... :rofl:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 194  Next