LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 194  Next
PostPosted: July 2, 2018, 8:46 pm 

I know I've mentioned it before, but the marine environment here does create a lot of extra work for me. I have to at least primer bare metal unless I'm going to work on it within a day or two. So, I'm constantly wire brushing material to remove the primer, work on it, then repaint. Ugh! It makes tasks 2 or 3 times as labor intensive.

This is why it's slow-going often. I did get my driver's removable pane in place. I decided to use my self-developed tab/weld nut method. It's labor intensive, but not expensive in terms of hardeware. I'm using standard #10-32 machine screws and 20 gauge steel for the tabs.

This is where the metal brake for the vise comes in handy. It will bend these small parts easily. The big brake totally mangles them.
Attachment:
DSC04345-S.jpg

Attachment:
DSC04346-S.jpg

Attachment:
DSC04348-S.jpg

To get the weld nuts to lie flat, the hole has to be clean and round. It only takes a few of minutes each, but when you have 20-30, that's an hour or so.
Attachment:
DSC04352-S.jpg

Attachment:
DSC04353-S.jpg

And, here's what you get.
Attachment:
DSC04351-S.jpg

I did take care to get the transmission tunnel pretty straight on it's sides when building. That allows me to have a flat panel here. So, here are the tabs in place. The black lines represents where I will contact cement rubber strips to the chassis to for a panels seal.

These removable panels were a recent decision, and not in the original plan. Other infrastructure is already welded into the tunnel for wiring, fuel lines, brake lines, etc. I have to make the best of that and put tabs where I could weld them in.
Attachment:
DSC04354-M.jpg

Attachment:
DSC04357.JPG

The above photo shows the panels done with sealing washers. Unfortunately, they are pretty bulky. I plan to cover the panels and tunnel with thin carpet without insulation (it will be in the tunnel) and they may not work. I put in some button screws and flat washers to try that out. It should work fine then.
Attachment:
DSC04355-S.jpg

Attachment:
DSC04360-S.jpg

Attachment:
DSC04358-S.jpg

So, now I have all the panels built for the driver's side. I'll start on the passenger side removable panel tomorrow.
Attachment:
DSC04356.JPG

Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 2, 2018, 11:14 pm 

You shouldn't need any washers in that application.

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 10:01 am 

@TRX
Thinking about it, you're probably right. It's a habit to use washers. The tabs should support the flat sheet well enough, and will likely seal the hole. Also, I plan to put a piece of self-sticking foam (like you'd use around a door or window) on the tabs to prevent metal-to-metal contact and give a little spring washer effect.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 10:30 am 

If you're really worried about sealing put a dab of Teflon pipe dope or Fel-Pro "Grey Bolt Prep" (which I'm suspect is the same thing) on the screw threads before running them in. The excess will get pushed up under the head and can be wiped off.

Considering it's an open car, though...

PostPosted: July 3, 2018, 5:20 pm 

Nice tabs... :D

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 8:27 am 
We are Slotus!

RandyBMC wrote:
Nice tabs... :D
That's what She said! :rofl:

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 8:59 am 

Well your coming along aren’t you. Every detail thought out. One thing I was going to tell you is a live experience with the heat shield I bought from speedway and lined my tunnel with works well. Don’t forget about it. Keep it up man.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 10:08 am 

Happy 4th of July to all the Americans here on Locost.USA! For everyone else, well shoot, you're invited to the party too.

@TRX
Please see @Tundra 7 below

@RandyBMC
Thank you, sir.

@GonzoRacer
Oh, you're a naughty boy, JD. But, then that's why we like ya. What fun would the world be if it was filled with only the pure and the righteous? :mrgreen:

@Tundra 7
Thanks for the tip, Steve. I actually started looking for insulating materials right from the start. Our Locost was always intended to be a cruiser, not an ultralight or a track car. It's only my wife and I now, so if I want company, she's it.

She a wonderful partner and very supportive, but after 48 years of marriage, I can tell you the girl likes her comfort. If I'm going to get her out in the car with regularity that means no dirt, no bugs, no smoke, no oil, no breakdowns in the middle of no where, and her seat better be damn comfortable. That's a pretty big challenge with a sevenesque sports car, but I'm doing my best to make it so. That's why the special effort with the cockpit and interior.

I've got some special insulating materials on hand just waiting for their moment to be installed.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 10:37 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Do you have seats yet? I made a lot of points with the wife by having her try out various passenger seats to find a comfortable one.

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 11:24 am 

KB58 wrote:
Do you have seats yet? I made a lot of points with the wife by having her try out various passenger seats to find a comfortable one.

I don't have seats yet, Kurt. Even with the narrowest tunnel I've ever seen on a conventional Locost, I still only have 18-1/4" free space for width. I figure I'll lose 3/4" for low profile carpet on the tunnel & some kind of side-panel liner, and need something for clearance, so I think 17" is all I can count on. All the high-end seats (Ricaro, et al) seem to be 21" wide at minimum.

We had an MGB for years, and my wife loved it. She used to do pretty long commutes in it. Her seat in the Locost will be fixed, but I need it to recline. My basic plan was to used the MGB seat as a general model and build something custom to fit our car. I might even be able to cut down an MGB seat?

What did you end up using for the passenger side? How wide is it?

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 11:54 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
KB58 wrote:

I don't have seats yet, Kurt. Even with the narrowest tunnel I've ever seen on a conventional Locost, I still only have 18-1/4" free space for width. I figure I'll lose 3/4" for low profile carpet on the tunnel & some kind of side-panel liner, and need something for clearance, so I think 17" is all I can count on. All the high-end seats (Ricaro, et al) seem to be 21" wide at minimum.

We had an MGB for years, and my wife loved it. She used to do pretty long commutes in it. Her seat in the Locost will be fixed, but I need it to recline. My basic plan was to used the MGB seat as a general model and build something custom to fit our car. I might even be able to cut down an MGB seat?

What did you end up using for the passenger side? How wide is it?

Cheers,

I’ll tell you what I’ve been really impressed with mine. Easy to make in any size and darn comfy. You can use any foam to make it the way you want. They also look the part.

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 5:51 pm 

@Tundra 7
What did you use for your pattern/design, Steve? I poked around in your build log and found the driver's side seat appeared on page 10. I didn't see any mention of design or build process prior to that. Did I miss something?

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 6:43 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@Tundra 7
What did you use for your pattern/design, Steve? I poked around in your build log and found the driver's side seat appeared on page 10. I didn't see any mention of design or build process prior to that. Did I miss something?

Cheers,

You know I didn’t take great notes on that. My buddy that helped me with the seats has the pattern. There’s 2 ways to go about it. Make your own, I can send you a crude pattern, pretty much what we had because we did a lot of trimming. You have the English wheel that’s what we used along with a pipe to get the curve in the back. The bottom needs to be 1/4” aluminum unless you make a rim around the bottom which would be nice then you could use a thinner gauge. The back is .080. My seats are two different sizes as well because of the offset tunnel. There is a guy on eBay that sells them made to size also. Shop bomber seats that’s what they are. There are a bunch of different designs and duild ideas. It does help to have a way to weld aluminum, much faster than the solid rivet option. It does warp it though. You probably can’t tell but both of my seat backs are warped the upholstery guy just did a really good job masking it. My longest trip in the car in one day I spent 150 miles in it I could’ve easily done much more in the car in one day they are pretty darn comfortable. Let me know if you want me to send a template.

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 7:13 pm 

This is a good pic of the raw seat. It’s actualy a really good price on fully done seats. If you can sew you can save a lot of cash.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 4, 2018, 7:42 pm 

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/category/Se ... ass-Bucket

There are these too - relatively cheap, available in different widths, and a cover (that look MUCH better in person) that looks the part is readily available from Kirkey as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 194  Next