LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: August 14, 2023, 11:56 pm 

Build cost tracker link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Instagram updates: Matthew.Kohl.90

Been poking around the forums and FB page and it is time to start up my build log.

My name is Matt and I am located on the central coast of California. I am Building a 442 chassis based on Haynes, Voduu, and McSorley plans

Parts: NB miata uprights, Differential 4.30 ratio, Brakes, steering, and other bits
NC miata 5 speed transmission and drive shaft
2.5L Duratec engine,

I have a bad left knee so some design adjustments may be made to facilitate ingress/egress due to my poor lower left leg extension strength and limited knee flex of about 110 degrees

as of 8/14/23 I have completed my build table and the steel was delivered today! Major parts to be sourced within the next few months from nearby wrecking yards and other parts from KineticVehicles.

My Dream many years ago now, was to build and sell these cars after I retired. However, in 2016 I was in a significant motorcycle accident and the dream seemed dead forever. I had picked up my 4th miata (2016 ND) in mid 2020 but it wasn't getting enough drive time and I didn't really feel like laying out the money to get it really track ready. So about a month ago now I put the ND up for sale, started collecting tools and source material, and am going to take a crack at making this nearly lost dream come true!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by doommachine on October 11, 2023, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 9:05 am 

Welcome to the board, Matt! Looking forward to seeing a Duratec car come together.

PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 9:57 am 

Welcome to the forum Matt.
Of course you'll be posting pics right? Lots and lots of pics, I like looking at pics.
Any chance you have a pic or two of your build table? You may as well start posting pics now, lol.
Looking forward as always :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 10:26 am 

In case you missed it, we want pics :lol:

PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 11:28 am 

Welcome to the forum!!
I'm almost as new as you, (though I haven't started a build thread) and I'm building a similar car as you.
442E chassis, 2.5L Duratec(2016 Fusion- has a flat oil pan, 49k miles, $348 picked up at LKQ), 6 speed NC transmission and NC LSD. NA front spindles(NC did not work out) and calipers, but Ford Probe/Mazda MX6 rear hubs and 93-95 RX7 Rear discs. I had to modify a bit the calipers. Not completely done with this yet. I can't torque down the spindle not to 130-150 lbs/ft with the spindle on the table.
Chassis is mostly built. I'm using the whole rear end from the NC, that I have bolted to the chassis. Tire/wheel combo is 17".
This build was my inspiration(he was in wheelchair when he build it, like 10 years ago):
https://www.locost.ozcarnut.com/index.html
I'm at the stage to figure out the front suspension, but I need the forums help. Which arms drawings to use, location front to back of the upper control arms, etc.
If I knew what I know now, I may have done the front part of the chassis more like the Haynes one, with the front side tubes going from angle to vertical, and the second row tubes more inside placed for easier lower bracket alignment.
I have just purchased some 11-15 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R ITBS. Planning to make the intake manifold for it soon. Also, I will be using Speeduino as an ECU.
For these car parts, I have used car-part.com and i was searching for local places, to be able to pick them up locally.
truck rental is not cheap these days. To pick up that engine, it cost me ~$100 w/fuel a year ago.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

Post subject: build table
PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 11:47 am 

here are some pics of the build table. Pretty happy with how sturdy and flat it is. already had some plywood that is serving as some under shelves. I am by no means a pro flat thing builder, and I am using shims under the table to deal with a less than perfect floor that has a crack in it. But the end result is quite acceptable.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 12:27 pm 

Make sure that the engine hoist will fit under.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 12:33 pm 

tibimakai wrote:
Make sure that the engine hoist will fit under.

After the frame is in a mostly complete state, I will likely lower the table a bit and put casters on it. Then I may use a overhead crane for engine and trans instead of a cherry picker. But that is a problem for future Matthew.

PostPosted: August 15, 2023, 4:43 pm 

Welcome, Matt. I'll be looking for ward to your build.

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 16, 2023, 10:50 am 

Happy to see you join the madness here!

Will look forward to your build.

I started with adding locking casters on my build table. And I did not make the lower cross arms high enough to clear my engine hoist, but I found "work arounds". I added shelf for storage under the build table and came to really need it as parts count grew.

PostPosted: August 16, 2023, 11:03 am 

When I built my chassis, I have used a workbench that had height adjustable legs(free from work), just placed two 3/4" MDF boards on top of the 1.5" MDF table top and screwed all together. Also used some legs from our first Ikea kitchen tables, to support the corners. Added locking casters as well. Had a shelf to store parts, and the engine hoist cleared as well.
My chassis was off less then 1/8", measured in X front to rear.
First time doing something like this, and i have never welded before.
Most likely, the precision mini mill cuts helped with that a lot.

Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: August 16, 2023, 3:21 pm 

You might want to put a lower shelf on your table. It helps stability and is great for spare parts.

Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: August 17, 2023, 1:06 pm 

Welcome to the madness, Matt. Look forward to your posts with lots of pictures. :D

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

Post subject: cutting first pieces
PostPosted: August 20, 2023, 11:45 pm 

The miter saw seems to be up to the task cutting the pieces accurately. Have the first 2 box sections layed out, but still need to do some deburring and cleaning before I tack weld anything. I think I will get the entire bottom layer down before welding anything, Otherwise I am likely to need to grind welds down in between. I can see why I see people tack welding the middle of the side and not the corners that would seem the better choice. Could use some more types of clamps, like one I saw that you can mount anywhere on the table and swivel a bit lile a mountable doghole holddown.
Also need a better deburr tool.

PostPosted: August 21, 2023, 10:29 am 

So, you substituted a metal cutting blade on your miter saw? Good thinking. The cuts look nice and clean and square.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next