LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: September 30, 2012, 11:08 pm 

I had some time to finish the collectors. I found some fence pipe connecters that my exhaust tubing slips into so I decided to make slip on collectors.
Attachment:
IMG_0001.JPG

The inside was difficult to weld but was do able.
Attachment:
IMG_0002.JPG

Then I welded on the bells and flanges.
Attachment:
IMG_0004.JPG

Now the hard part of tying the exhause flanges to the collectors.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 27, 2012, 10:13 pm 

Left side cut and taped then tacked. boy that took a long time! :o I'm fairly happy with the look though I have to finish welding and grinding. I had to order more pipe for the other side.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 28, 2012, 1:13 am 
Toyotaphobe

I like the "bundle of snakes" look of the exhaust pipes.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 28, 2012, 9:35 am 

Thanks, I don't know if I would recommend building them that way just to get equal length runs as it was a lot of work and pieces. I got the mandrel bends from Summit and the ones from Schoenfeld were nearly round in the curved section as opposed to the ones from Dynomax which were crushed almost 1/8in. smaller on the inside of the bend and I had to use a "forming tool" cheap socket to bring them back to round. I ended up using the socket on all the bends anyway but the Schoenfeld pieces needed little work.

PostPosted: October 28, 2012, 11:28 am 
The voice of reason

Those are beautiful headers from one end to the other. Consider gold plate to help them last. Maybe you could get them chromed?

PostPosted: October 28, 2012, 11:40 am 

Agreed. Those are works of art. Just beautiful!

I'm not sure how long the duct tape will last in use though. You may want to try bubble gum, superglue or J-B Weld - something more permanent :cheers: .

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 28, 2012, 8:07 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, John-
Great work on the headers! I love that "swirl" look where they exit the frame. I cannot imagine how much work that must have been, but is sho' nuff looks GOOD!!!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 28, 2012, 9:04 pm 

Keep up the great work! Those headers look Amazing !

phil

PostPosted: October 28, 2012, 9:59 pm 

You mean you can't use duck tape for headers?
I did start tacking the tubes together but I had to work on all three at the same time, adjusting here moving there, so the tape was alot faster.

PostPosted: November 3, 2012, 10:00 pm 

I got the Hooker mandrel bends from Summit and I would recommend them as he best of the three brands. They are nice and round all the way through the bend. I am now working on the right side but I wanted to get a picture of the left side off the car.

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 7:41 pm 

Very, very nice. What are you going to use to do the final welds with?

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 10:14 pm 

All the welding is done with my Lincoln 140 mig. For the tacks I upped the amps one click for more heat and penetration. I would of finished welding the left side but I am almost out of gas.

PostPosted: December 5, 2012, 2:36 pm 

Hello there John,

I found your build while searching the net for more KL V6 builds. I'm currently setting up a Kl to swap into my 1968 Vauxhall Viva here in New Zealand. The viva is a small English car and I have already fitted it out with a Mazda 12a rotary from a RX7- it has a small turbo and its drawing its mixture through an SU carb.....

I finished that swap last year and have clocked up 4000 very reliable miles but it's time for change (and something slightly less thirsty....)
I'm looking forwards to the sound of the V6 too.

Anyway- I love your build. The posts are very informative and interesting. Some fantastic ideas to get around problems thrown up and rather than just spending money you look for ways around. This is refreshing (and I think the way of the locost?) I don't like spending money if I can build instead so this is all good.

I have made a similar adaptor plate and as I want to keep my rx7 transmission in place I have made my plate to suit. I looked into machining a ring to go between the rx7 ring gear and the v6 flywheel but then worked out that with 5mm machined off the v6 starter motor it would fit the rx7 bell housing. The solenoid sticks out though rather than snugly sitting in against bell housing. I have quite a lot of room for the headers though so this might be ok.

All I need to do now is make a spacer to go between the fly and crank. I will skim my starter flange down to 8mm thick so I can make spacer even thinner- I want to space it out as little as possible.

What inlet manifold arrangement are you going to use? The stock kl one?

Here is a build thread to my car if you are interested. I totally realise that this is not a locost but its still a v6 swap into a rwd car and the info my well help out others on here.

In the future a locost is on the cards and these great engines top of the list for me. Fantastic value and great engineered engines plus easy to adapt.

http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index ... da-24v-v6/

I'm going to keep watching your thread with much interest. Keep up the great workmanship.

Alex

PostPosted: December 17, 2012, 11:47 pm 

Thanks for the kind words Alex I just did a quick scan of your build log and found it fascinating and helpful I have book marked it and look forward to reading it in depth later and waiting for updates. A couple of things I notest, first your a lucky man to have that helper, My wife just comes out to the garage and shakes her head. :?
Also I'm surprised I never saw the model Anglia before. It looks a lot like the Studebaker President only smaller
Attachment:
studebaker-president-speedster-06.jpg

I finally have a little update on my headers I thought I would share. I still need to weld the pipes to the flanges on the inside then I will braze the outside.
Attachment:
IMG_0023.JPG

The left side.
Attachment:
IMG_0024.JPG

The right side

PostPosted: December 18, 2012, 1:45 pm 

I swapped a KL into my 323, it is a great engine. The sound is like no other engine, it is a tuff little bugger too. I have over 500 quarter mile passes (with a 75 nitrous shot) and it has spent days at 7800RPM on the road course. My KLZE is JDM junk yard engine with a new timing belt and water pump :shock: The 323 is my summer daily driver, it actually gets great milage to boot!

I will be watching this build :cheers:

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.
- Mark Donohue

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next