LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently August 7, 2020, 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kevin's BEC Build
PostPosted: June 15, 2010, 1:25 pm 

Hey everyone,
I'm Kevin. I'm a 19 year old mechanical engineering student at Georgia Tech. I just bought a 1993 2.8L S-10 this past weekend for my build (I'll post pictures later in the week). I'm going to start tearing down the donor car this weekend after I get through this week of tests. I'm also going to see if I can get the build table built this weekend so I can start on my frame next week. I'll be documenting most of my build on a blog (www.kjcorley.com) but I will probably copy my posts over to here periodically to keep you all updated. I'll try and post some update after this weekend.

Last edited by kjcorley on March 13, 2011, 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: June 15, 2010, 1:54 pm 
-the man.

Welcome Kevin...happy to see another 2.8 build going on.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: June 15, 2010, 2:07 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Kevin-
Are ya building a "Ramblin' Wreck" from Georgia Tech??? :lol:

Glad to have ya aboard, keep the updates (and pics) comin!

Good luck, and have fun with it!

JD "NC STATE" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 16, 2010, 1:09 pm 

Sweet, another GM 60 degree V6 build! Glad to see you here, get to posting some pictures, I need more ideas to stea- err, borrow.

PostPosted: June 18, 2010, 12:20 am 

Okay, took me a little longer than it should have to get some pictures as I've been studying all week, but here's some from earlier today (before I removed anything). I took the bed and hood off the truck tonight and started removing the fenders with the help of a few friends. I'll take some more pictures of the car getting disassembled tomorrow. I'm hoping to get my build table built this weekend as well as getting the car fully disassembled.

Last edited by kjcorley on June 20, 2010, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 18, 2010, 9:40 am 

Please downsize your pictures a little bit.

PostPosted: June 18, 2010, 8:22 pm 

Welcome, nice to see another 60 degree v6 build.
Al

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 2:33 am 

I got all of the front body panels off the truck today so I'm hoping to get the engine pulled tomorrow. I built my build table today as well. I built it on a level surface and am going to have to build some sort of riser for one end as the area I will be working isn't very level. I figured in case I have to move the table, it wasn't going to be worth building it to be level in only one place. It's built from 2x4's with 4x4's in the corners and 3/4" MDF on top. I will add additional bracing to increase rigidity if necessary, but it should be good for now.

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 8:52 am 

kjcorley wrote:
I built my build table today as well. I built it on a level surface and am going to have to build some sort of riser for one end as the area I will be working isn't very level. I figured in case I have to move the table, it wasn't going to be worth building it to be level in only one place. It's built from 2x4's with 4x4's in the corners and 3/4" MDF on top. I will add additional bracing to increase rigidity if necessary, but it should be good for now.

Nice job - looks good and sturdy from here. How much adjustment do you need? Could you use heavy-duty bolts in the legs as adjustable feet?

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 11:00 am 

Quote:
Nice job - looks good and sturdy from here. How much adjustment do you need? Could you use heavy-duty bolts in the legs as adjustable feet?

It's about a 4" difference over 8 feet. I think I'm going to just attach pieces of 4x4's cut to the proper length.

PostPosted: June 20, 2010, 12:29 pm 

go yellowjackets! i have fond memories of atlanta... well actually gainesville but from what i understand atlanta has grown enough to absorb gainesville. can you get class credits for the build? surely theres an instructor there you can convince to sign on. i think you'll like the 2.8 and when you eventually decide that you want more power thats easy too, the alloy cad 4.5 will bolt up to that bellhousing. i'm looking forward to your build, have fun!

Post subject: Re: Kevin's BEC Build
PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 5:35 pm 

So I changed my mind about using the 2.8l V6 from the S-10. I will be using the rear axle, front spindles, front brakes and probably some other random stuff from the S-10. I have decided to go with what I originally wanted to: a BEC. I'm about 99% set on using an R1 engine but if a good deal comes along I will consider other possibilities. I got myself a Clarke 160EN Mig welder about a month and a half ago. I have since made a significant amount of progress on the frame. There are more details on my website (www.kjcorley.com) but I figured I'd post on here every once in a while with major update.

Last edited by kjcorley on March 13, 2011, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 6:22 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It looks like your building exactly where Evox built his:

viewtopic.php?t=2155

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 7:02 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
It looks like your building exactly where Evox built his:

viewtopic.php?t=2155

Yup, he was my inspiration to build a Locost. I pledged our fraternity during his last semester here.

PostPosted: October 31, 2010, 9:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Kevin-
Welcome aboard! Good to see another build started. Hope all goes well for you, keep us posted on your progress.

My Dad went to Tech, way-back-when. I kinda have a soft spot in my heart for the Jackets, except when they're playin' NC State...

Good Luck with your build!
:cheers:

JD "NCSU Class of '77" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom