LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: October 6, 2014, 1:24 pm 

Left side is now done as well.

Anyone who has the harbor frieght or alike band saw. The vertical table is very usefull! A bood metal blade and some patience and it will cut some stuff.

Cut a half inch out of the arms, I had to machine some recesses in the bracket to clear the casted protrusions on the caliper (not in this pic) Then fit and tack together. I dont trust my welding skill yet, so I will leave that up to a pro.

I now pretty much have front brakes.

Moving right along....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 7, 2014, 5:22 pm 

WAX wrote:
Have been gathering some materials and tools.
Descided to use a pipe bender to make my headers. They dont look complicated. BOY was I wrong.
Chalk this up to another "I dont know what the hell I am doing moment"

At least I am presistant! I will get this.

Thank you for sharing. Now, I don't feel so alone. :lol:

My alternative view (used on odd numbered days, LOL) is, "I'm too dumb to fail"

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 11, 2014, 5:31 am 

Did some horse trading and managed to unload my 7x14 minimill for a brand new in the box (Chinese be it) plasma cutter.

I have been wanting one for a few years now. Just had to stay persistent about it.

FUN TIME. MORE TOOLS!!!!!

But, there is nothing worse then getting a new toy and not being able to play with it. The next couple days is packed with the kiddos band performances and karate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 11, 2014, 6:59 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
That sounds like a "Team Slotus" moment to me... :mrgreen:

It's sorta like the possum. The North American Opossum has been around since the Jurassic age, 65 million years ago. They haven't really changed or evolved much during their time on the planet. They're not fast, fierce, or particularly smart. (Especially not smart at crossing roads and things...) But they survived, purely out of obstinate, too dumb to quit, pig-headedness. You just gotta admire that...

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 11, 2014, 8:35 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:

It's sorta like the possum. The North American Opossum has been around since the Jurassic age, 65 million years ago. They haven't really changed or evolved much during their time on the planet. They're not fast, fierce, or particularly smart. (Especially not smart at crossing roads and things...) But they survived, purely out of obstinate, too dumb to quit, pig-headedness. You just gotta admire that...

JDK

Hey JD, does that mean you are going to adopt Pogo as our team mascot?

Bill

PostPosted: October 11, 2014, 9:56 am 
We are Slotus!

BBlue wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:

It's sorta like the possum. [SNIP]

Hey JD, does that mean you are going to adopt Pogo as our team mascot?l

Yup, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 11, 2014, 12:25 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Yup, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

So essentially at this point we are surrounded...
:shock: :rofl:

PostPosted: October 16, 2014, 4:29 pm 

Was able to get the left header fabbed up. Finally got the pipe bender to play nice. Now to get them finish welded by someone better then myself. Then trim them to all the same length. The collectors are going to be something truley fun to figure out.

On wards and upwards!!!!

PostPosted: October 16, 2014, 5:15 pm 

Good luck with the headers, I couldn't find any ready made collectors when I built mine. Luckily they are fairly easy to build. I used 1.5" primaries and 2.5" collectors. My collectors are made from three pieces of the 1.5" and one piece of 2.5". I split short pieces of the 1.5" lengthwise, then expanded one end to slip over the 1.5" primary tube and the other end so it was the same radius curve as the 2.5" collector tube. Then I just had to section the three pieces to fit and weld everything together. You can kinda see one of the collectors in this picture. Don't do like me and weld the primaries into the collectors before welding up the gap in between the tubes. I finally had an excuse to cut my collectors off to fix it this summer.

The collector is on the far left. In the middle are the primaries for one side before being aligned and welded together and on the right is the other side ready to weld into the collector. I bought mandrel J bends to make the primaries from.

Kristian

PostPosted: October 16, 2014, 5:27 pm 

I BS`d my way thru making the primaries with some tubing and a pipe bender. I will get them finished welded first then trim all to the same length. After that is when I will beat my head on the collectors.

PostPosted: October 16, 2014, 7:42 pm 

Cone Engineering has 3 into 1 reducers if you dont wish to make your own.

Al

http://www.coneeng.com/collectors.html

PostPosted: November 10, 2014, 12:29 am 

Before I put the headers on it, sounded like a heard of ducks popping bubbles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70R7WDX ... eg&index=3

finished glueing the headers up on the driveway and had to hear what she sounded like.
I love the difference. 115,000 miles is what I was told this motor has on it. Fires right up. I havent even set the timing on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSZGqysh ... V9j9-L1feg

PostPosted: November 10, 2014, 9:04 pm 

Sounds like mine did. I auto crossed it for most of a summer with open headers, but now I have some glass pack mufflers on it. My first start was with nothing but the exhaust ports and it sounded like crap.
Kristian

PostPosted: December 16, 2014, 1:23 pm 

Build is looking good. What diameter/thickness tubing did you use for your header pipes? I'm probably going to be making my own as well and I'm wondering if I should buy pre-bent U sections and then do a bazillion cuts and welds to get the shape I want, or try to bend it.

As far as a collector goes, what I've seen done which seems to work rather well is to either take three short lengths of your primaries and cut them at a steep angle (say 30 degrees from axial), flatten out the short end slightly, and weld them together. Another method I've seen is to make a sheet metal cone first with the larger circumference matching the circumference of the exposed parts of your primaries and put three "dents" into it with a flat chisel where the primaries meet. Before putting it on the inside edges of the primaries are crimped together into a corner and welded together. All in all, it's probably easiest to buy a pre-made collector. :D

Btw, if I had CNC mills and such I would probably have a lot nicer looking "over engineered" parts too. :) Must be fun playing with those. Have you had a chance to try out your plasma cutter yet? I've been looking at that exact model on ebay for a long time now...

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 12:54 pm 

so, with christmas, I have not been able to afford to work on the car. Ahh the joys of being poor and limited mobility.

So I descided to design me a ring.

I will machine the wax pattern of the ring and get it casted. Im kinda diggin it.

Last edited by WAX on October 24, 2016, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next