LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: October 15, 2013, 6:12 pm 

hi i bought the megasquirt 3 , all put together. did take a couple of weeks to get a basic understanding how it works. pretty amazing what it can do.basic maps are built in and will get you running. fine tuning the maps are not hard. with a wide band oxygen sensor it can tune itself, just go an drive it. of course dyno time would be good. if i can have success i guess most anyone can.
probably cheaper than converting a fi engine back to a carb.
i wouldnt build anything with a carb anymore.
read up an learn!

PostPosted: October 16, 2013, 7:25 am 

rad thanks, for me, megasquirt usage is a couple projects down the road, but I've seen a car or two at local cruise nights with the system, and have read more than a few threads here of builders who've made it work on a variety of engines, so it seems very doable. I've spent a while googling the syustem and reading stuff on the a couple of the vendor sites. another system to learn, really is all it is.

while carbs seem easier to deal with, you really cant take advantage of the improved efficiency of modern engines with them.

So, the solstice manual tranny is a direct bolt-up for the ecotec, correct?

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 4, 2013, 11:29 am 

hi sorry for a slow answer, just finished bringing in the winters wood supply.
yes the solstice transmission bolts right up to the 2.4 ecotec and others, its very simular to a toyota truck.

PostPosted: November 7, 2013, 9:35 am 

kewl, thanks!

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 11, 2013, 11:16 pm 

Hi rad,
Nice build. I am late to finding it but have gone through most of the thread. I am researching other builds as I gear up for my next one (finished my Locost in 2007). What really caught my attention were the 600 Racing spindles, hubs and rotors. A couple of questions if you don't mind.
1. the hubs and rotors are 600 racing?
2. what's the bolt circle on those hubs?
3. when you updated to the Wilwood calipers did they bolt right on or did you have to make adapters?
4. what Wilwood calipers did you use?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Jim

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 11:13 am 

Hi. Yes hubs,rotors,uprites all 600 racing. I needed more piston area was the reason for caliper change, did make new brackets . as I am using rather large gm rear calipers was tricky to get a good balance. Combo worked out just fine, give me great confidence. Would look better with larger front calipers, some day?

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 11:31 am 

Hi. Wheel bolt circle is 114.3. Very popular size. I have 5 bolt wheels on the rear, 4 on the front, all 4 wheels match in all other ways.
Flat tire ??? Spare in a can or flat bed it home. No tools, jack anyway.

PostPosted: February 4, 2014, 9:29 am 

hi well i am finally finding time to get the car ready for spring. last time i drove it was mid december,, brrrrrrrr. am now itching for some driving performance.
project is any maintenance i find, plus upgrades. new slightly larger ball bearing turbo, new forged 9.5 to 1 pistons, new forged con rods, set of arp head studs, latest spark knock module for the megasquirt.
oh and a new battery while the car is apart, seems i built the car around the battery ..
mid last summer i had problens with exhaust oil smoke, was thinking i had melted a piston or two. did drive it the rest of the season . great bug killer.
so on to dissassembly. i found i had to notch a bit out of the upper frame rail to make room for the new turbo. little sawsall, bit of mig weld..
inards of the engine look real good, no wear to be seen, problem was #4 piston top , melted piece out of the top down to the first ring, cracks into the second. lucky me the piston bore is still perfect.
18lbs of boost and 14 degrees of ignition advance did it in. stock upper piston ring land was very thin.
mostly the 2.4 ecotec is built very strong.
will put some pictures up later.

PostPosted: February 4, 2014, 6:33 pm 

melted piston picture!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 4, 2014, 9:48 pm 
Toyotaphobe

As they'd say on the Cooking Channel about BBQ, "It looks like it's got a good bark on it."

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 7:23 pm 

hi here it is almost warm weather again. i was busy this winter, new larger ball bearing turbo, yes cheap ebay china unit. did disassemble the two others i had , no signs of wear, no many miles bu used hard. mobil 1 helps.
i installed new forged j&e 9 to 1 pistons, arp head bolts, forged connecting rods. installed a new knock sensing module in the megasquirt.
some pictures to follow.

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 7:28 pm 

new knock module as installed

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 7:30 pm 

new engine parts

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 7:33 pm 

exhaust lined up perfect with the new turbo

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 7:36 pm 

for clearance reasons i made a new wastegate bypass pipe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next