LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 2:03 am 

Some good cutting and sparking going on tonight.

Got the frame for the diff mount down. I just need to fab the rear iso mount up and triangulate the bejesus out of it!

I made the front mount part of the tunnel framework. The rear gives me plenty of options to cross and box it in for twisting resistance. I'll cut the member under the trans nose to allow it to be dropped straight down after shaft removal.

Here are some pics for the visually inclined! 8)

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by botbasher on January 23, 2016, 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 2:10 am 

Hey! Hit two milestones tonight!

#1) Was able to hang the diff into the car on it's own mounts.

#2) Been keeping a detailed $$ tally for the car so I can tell what went where and for what part of the project. Totaled up the receipts for the weekends finds at the Pick-a-Part. I just breezed past $1000 for the build to date. That includes tools and anything else I've used to build the car.

Well.. now to start on the next $1000!! Anyone else kept detailed enough records to show exactly how much these toys cost us? And I don't mean the answer we tell our wives! :lol: Just curious to know.

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 3:09 pm 

botbasher wrote:
Glen wrote:
So what hubs/uprights are you going to connect the Suby axles to?

After a few posts I read last night, I'm almost back to using the Subie's, but I am still open to suggestions.

I have seen a few self-made version that I think would work well with the Subie bearing housing, so unless I find an easier option.. like cutting the shafts in half and grafting on a Mazda CV joint.. I'm pretty sure I'll go that road.

Any suggestions or inputs are greatly appreciated!

KS

I figured as much with your "leap before you look" approach, but thought I'd ask since I'm using the same parts.
I assume you've already seen this:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3386&start=105

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 7:26 pm 

Glen wrote:
I figured as much with your "leap before you look" approach, but thought I'd ask since I'm using the same parts.
I assume you've already seen this:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3386&start=105

Yeah, but you miss a lot of the "reading" and "un-blogged discussing with local shops" before "leaping" approach I use too! :o I have been talking to a local racer that has/does make his own shafts from OEMs. He's had extremely good success (97/100) and has offered to help me make mine.

But as I mentioned I like the idea of using the Subie bearings with a Locost upright. Maybe it didn't come across that way. Check out this example I am looking at following..

There is a method to my madness.. it just might not be apparent to all you sane folk!! :)

KS

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 8:48 pm 

I see you're still not being flattered for your build style:

"I figured as much with your "leap before you look" approach... "

I tend to catch similar flack, since, instead of "drawing" or "designing" my projects, I tend to "model" them... Full Scale

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 9:14 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

There's nothing wrong with that approach as long as doing things more than once due to otherwise-foreseen issues is acceptable. I'm on my second build and am doing more planning, not less.

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 9:22 pm 

mcteardrops wrote:
I see you're still not being flattered for your build style:

"I figured as much with your "leap before you look" approach... "

I tend to catch similar flack, since, instead of "drawing" or "designing" my projects, I tend to "model" them... Full Scale

There's no love... I feel no love!! :lol:

Thanks for the sympathy vote!

KS

PostPosted: October 7, 2009, 9:52 pm 

my first build is going to have very little REAL planning/engineering. it'll be thought out, be done well and such, but no soldiworks, or stressed virtual models for me. there are WAY too many things to worry about as far as the first build. my plan is to get one cobbed up (as far as designed) and under the belt, then really sit down and do some math.

bob, why not get a 2.slow out of a mk3 and flog on that? (same bolt pattern) low buck log intake manifold to get the intake off the top of the valve cover, and ELECTRONIC fuel infection instead of the black magic that is CIS-E. could do side drafts, but i want fuel injection on mine. they're very very plentiful round my parts, and complete cars are all over rotted out with good engines and parts cars without tittles and such.

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 12:46 am 

KB58 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with that approach as long as doing things more than once due to otherwise-foreseen issues is acceptable. I'm on my second build and am doing more planning, not less.

If there is nothing wrong with it, then why is it such a topic of conversation with those watching this build?

I sat and wrote one hell of a nasty post.. but after sitting on it for several hours I took the high road and decided against posting it. There has been enough support for my build that the few disparaging comments that are being made mean little in the bigger picture.

So to those who are supportive and engaging with your comments about the build, Thank you. To those that are not.. It's an unfortunate world you live in, when just because someone does it differently than you it must be wrong.

Can we all concede that commenting on my building practices is like :BDH: and it can stop?

Thank you,

KS

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 12:55 am 

Spam16v wrote:
my first build is going to have very little REAL planning/engineering. it'll be thought out, be done well and such, but no soldiworks, or stressed virtual models for me. there are WAY too many things to worry about as far as the first build. my plan is to get one cobbed up (as far as designed) and under the belt, then really sit down and do some math.

bob, why not get a 2.slow out of a mk3 and flog on that? (same bolt pattern) low buck log intake manifold to get the intake off the top of the valve cover, and ELECTRONIC fuel infection instead of the black magic that is CIS-E. could do side drafts, but i want fuel injection on mine. they're very very plentiful round my parts, and complete cars are all over rotted out with good engines and parts cars without tittles and such.

Thanks Spam!

That's me.. Design a little, build a lot.. improve on what didn't work for it! Real World DT! (Destructive Testing) Tires that is!! :D

Yeah, the 2.slow or a JH lump (love solid lifter heads!) is probably going to be the "trainer" for me as I can swap it out easily later. Ug.. CIS.. Side Drafts.. maybe... Nope! Going to be Megasquirted! Fell in love with it on the 84 and it'll be a snap to get it into a Locost! Might have to have you hook me up with a "locost" donor from your parts as the VW craze hasn't landed in the Pacific Northwest yet.. they are still in love with SUVs and Pickups! Euro donors are a little rare!

KS

Last edited by botbasher on January 23, 2016, 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 1:15 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

botbasher wrote:
If there is nothing wrong with it, then why is it such a topic of conversation with those watching this build? I sat and wrote one hell of a nasty post.. but after sitting on it for several hours I took the high road and decided against posting it...

A nasty post, for me? I never understand posting to public forums, then being perplexed that people with different opinions reply. If redoing parts of the car more than once is okay, yes, everyone should back off, get chairs and popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 1:59 am 

KB58 wrote:
A nasty post, for me? I never understand posting to public forums, then being perplexed that people with different opinions reply. If redoing parts of the car more than once is okay, yes, everyone should back off, get chairs and popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

I never said my method of building was better than yours. Planning has it's place, but as mcteardrops said.. I like to model.. fullsize!

I never understood why people reply to posts like their methods are the only ones in the world that are valid. You said your piece.. you don't like how I build.. toot toot for you! You mentioned it in the Frames Forum.. duly noted... then you have to follow into the Build Logs to make the same sanctimonious statements. Enough already. Get over it.. Enjoy your popcorn.. and may the hemorrhoid fairy visit you often while you sit and watch.

Now would you please respect a fellow builders log and refrain from further postings related to your dislike of my build methodology?

Thank you,

KS

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 10:53 am 

botbasher wrote:
I have been talking to a local racer that has/does make his own shafts from OEMs. He's had extremely good success (97/100) and has offered to help me make mine.

But as I mentioned I like the idea of using the Subie bearings with a Locost upright. Maybe it didn't come across that way. Check out this example I am looking at following..

Let us know what your resource comes up with for axles, there is certainly a possibilty that the suby CV's will fit in a different housing or that a different CV will fit the suby axle spline. I've considered those options too, but I don't have a local resource and couldn't find much of that data online.

I've looked into those type of uprights too, unfortunaley I haven't found any bolt on hub/bearing units like the ones in that thread that fit the suby axle splines, and I've looked quite a bit. The fabrication of uprights with a bearing cup is significantly more difficult (Kurt has some good thoughts on this, but I bet he won't be posting them in this thread so you'll probably have to seach for them).

I had written comments on both of these in my original post, but deleted them because I suspect you will come to the same conclusion as both B85 and I did and just use the suby uprights, but I'm genuinely intereseted in what you end up with, especially if you find a way to make the other ideas work.

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 11:57 am 

botbasher wrote:
why is it such a topic of conversation with those watching this build?

Because it's different. Make a topic on something that has been done 100 times and nobody will have anything to say. Everyone is different and the reason we all come here is to see those differences, we want to learn from other people's experience and help others by sharing our own.

We all know that eveything about building a car is a compromise, including the design/build balance. Since we all have different goals, resources and skills, we will all take different paths. My "leap before you look" comment was made to indicate that it was predictable that you bought the suby diff and axles without planning how to attach them to the wheels, perhaps that phrase carries too much negative connotation, but I wasn't trying to say you were "wrong", just that I didn't expect you to have an answer to my question.

Considering all of your "That's me.. Design a little, build a lot" comments I thought you were proud of your approach, but every time there's a comment you take it as criticism, which makes you look pretty insecure about it. I have much respect for people who have to skills to see something in their mind and build it with minimal planning, I doubt I could ever learn to do that.

I don't think Kurt's last two comments were negative at all (I'm not going back to find others), perhaps you should reread them and pretend you don't know who posted them. If you disagree with him (and me) that choosing to do less planning will result in doing things more than once, then you need to look back at the number of re-do's you've had already, there's not anything wrong with that, but maybe you're in denial that they are part of the path you are on.

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 12:33 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Exactly - well put.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next