LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 6:19 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Finish that car and you might find a copilot a lot sooner as you'll have young ladies asking you questions about it, right?
Yeah... just like how when I had my son they were supposed to fall all over me? It was like my ex was paying them to stay away!!

Nope... I want them to want me for me... not a car... not $$... not anything other than me. Maybe I'm being a bit picky, but you've been following my saga here... I really don't intent to travel down that road again.

Car will get done.... solo or not. Would just be a little nicer to take those trips into the hills with two in the car. Ah... Dream Big, right?

Cheers!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: July 18, 2016, 9:10 pm 

So I watch these guys build insano cars like this dump truck with a 900HP blown V8 and I realize 2 things....

1) All it takes is money and a dozen guys working behind the scenes and you too can have a car done in a week!

2) I no longer feel bad about my 12ga motor mounts

They have that monster held down by some 1/4" plate. No fancy bracing. No triangulation. Nada.

I'm going to be just fine!!!

K "jittery" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: July 20, 2016, 8:20 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Finish that car and you might find a copilot a lot sooner as you'll have young ladies asking you questions about it, right?
Cheers,
So Lonnie.... Are these the young ladies you were mentioning might be interested after I finish the car??

If I even realistically thought that there was any chance, I'd have the car finished by the end of the month!!!! :lol:

Cheers!!

PostPosted: July 20, 2016, 9:57 am 
Toyotaphobe

So it seems that with the proper motivation all things are possible.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 20, 2016, 3:50 pm 

botbasher wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:
Cheers,
So Lonnie.... Are these the young ladies you were mentioning might be interested after I finish the car??

If I even realistically thought that there was any chance, I'd have the car finished by the end of the month!!!! :lol:

Cheers!!

Yup, there she is. And, she's dressed appropriately too - hardly anything on.

Why don't you print out a copy of the photo and put it somewhere in your shop wher you'll see it each time you go out to work. That should provide motivation. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 10:18 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Bot! Here's another one for your masturba... Uhhh, I mean "Motivation" collection.
Attachment:
Caterham-ad.jpg
And let's not forget Tina... Don't know if she likes cars or not, but OMG, the leggggssss....
Attachment:
Tina.jpg

Now get to work, or I'll send Marcus' ex-girlfriend to your shop...
Attachment:
valkyrie.jpg

Or mine...
Attachment:
predator.jpg

:cheers:
JD "Trying to be Helpful?" Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 10:45 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo Bot! Here's another one for your masturba... Uhhh, I mean "Motivation" collection.
Attachment:
Caterham-ad.jpg

Or mine...
Attachment:
predator.jpg

:cheers:
JD "Trying to be Helpful?" Kemp

Gonzo... You are the man! I was looking for that "seat" one all yesterday to post! I have it somewhere in the 15k pics I have. Thanks!

BTW.... How did you get a candid shot of my ex-wife in all her green hued glory? :roll:

K "curious" S

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 4:03 pm 

Hey, Bot, are you saying we were BOTH married to the same one??

Funny - an acquaintance was telling me that he'd recently lost 45 lbs. I said "That's nothing - I recently lost 250 lbs of ugly fat! - I divorced her!". He thought it was hilarious - his girlfriend, not so much... :roll:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: July 21, 2016, 4:53 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
Hey, Bot, are you saying we were BOTH married to the same one??
Apparently she gets around as I know several other guys who claim to have married her!

Who says polygamy is dead!!! I wish she was though! :evil:

K "not bitter... at all" S

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 12:43 pm 

Well it's been a slow couple of week with the car. Progress is being made, but it's a bit slower than planned.

Part of the distraction is the new grocery getter! I picked up a 1998 Volvo v70 with 201k on the dial. It'll serve as a utility vehicle (way better than my GLi) and a learner vehicle for my kiddo. The motor appears strong, but started it's tenure with me with some extreme needs right out the gate. Volvo white blocks are known for pushing seals out due to excessive PCV pressure and despite the previous owners assurance the job had been done, I found out the hard way it wasn't done RIGHT! So after some urgent TLC, it's now a road worthy daily driver.

After a 5 minute drive... yes, that's oil!!!

What do you call seals when they don't? Fu^&^%)(*&#%^#!@&#*##@&*$@&^@#$%$&#$
This is how I found both of them when I pulled off the accessories!

This one fell out when I pulled the cam sensor off!

So after a little drama and furtive waiting for UPS to arrive, it got some seals and a couple of other tid bit to make the drive easier and now it appears to be quite happy about it. I'll flush all the other fluids and give it a through going over in the next few weeks, but in the mean time it's become my daily driver.

So now as I ride the roller coaster of Learning Curves of New Autos, I think I have found a nice donor platform for the middy I am planning after I finish the Locost. The Sub-frame arrangement looks fantastically modifiable and a nice 2.5l Turbo with 200Hp stock should provide a great heart for it! It moves the 3300lbs of Volvo quite handily... a sub-1500lb middy should be insane!

K "one more project" S

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 2:50 pm 

OK, but since this is a LoCost forum, I thought I'd actually supply you with some LoCost pics!

I finished stripping down the car and readied it for paint. Since this question comes up a lot and no one ever has a definitive answer, I thought that while it was frame only I'd get a weight on it. The frame only weighs.... 213lbs. That's totally stripped of anything that isn't a bolt-on. For the record, it's a McSorley442/Rorty IRS Hybrid with a majority of the Aussie Mods. I know my Motor/Trans is a few pounds shy of 300#, the Diff and axles were 75#. I think the uprights were 35# and the fronts were 15#. So the all up weight for a rolling chassis with motor/trans is about 700#. That leaves me quite a bit of room to hit my 1200# target with all those pesky things like seats, pedals and those useless CALIPERS!!!! :roll:

Then it landed in the position that I never want to see it in ever again!!!

So now with the pan bonded and riveted on, I'll flip it back over and finish the painting of the upper structure (I only POR'd between the skin/frame). I'm doing a 2 part with POR-15 for rust prevention and Cerakote Glacial Silver over it for abrasion and general visual as I like silver frames much better. I can sand a re-paint the Kote anytime I like so it should work out for future "upgrades" and or touch-ups (POR-15 isn't really touch-up friendly IMHO especially around welding).

So now it's making the final turn and as soon as the wheels are back on and drive line is in, I'll start the NC registration process which can take several months depending on the cooperation of the local DMV/Sheriff. I have to have it in some semblance of a roadworthy vehicle before they will come out and inspect it for a VIN, then it's a pretty straight process from there considering it's a 1967ish vehicle!

So I guess I better get to it if I intend to drive it for this upcoming spring!

K "second wind" S

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 2:55 pm 

I recall one of the race cars in my club had a large sign painted on the underside of his car - it read "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, TURN ME OVER" :lol:

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 3:15 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
I recall one of the race cars in my club had a large sign painted on the underside of his car - it read "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, TURN ME OVER" :lol:

Now THERE is a guy with a sense of humor! :D

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 3:40 pm 

Dismantalus wrote:
zetec7 wrote:

Friend of mine did the "Help Me" on the bottom of his shoes so when he knelt at the alter on his wedding day.... Crowd loved it... bride, not so much!

I've seen the Jeeps with the "If you can read this turn me over" stickers... but the floor pan is a stealth winner!!!

KS

PostPosted: August 5, 2016, 4:15 pm 

Dismantalus wrote:
zetec7 wrote:

Well, yes and no...you can imagine how we all ended up seeing what was painted there! :shock: :D He was okay, the car was a little wrinkled...never slowed him down, though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next