LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: May 21, 2012, 9:37 am 

Looking great!

Oh, and I love the RC's on the Jetta. One of my all time favorite wheels.

PostPosted: May 21, 2012, 9:45 am 

rabid wrote:
Hey bud!
I'm going to stop lurking as I have since you first got the idea to build this thing and sign up to say Congrats!
So did you push each other around and make vroom vrooom noises? It's a far cry from the weight classes we use to play in huh?
Coming out, just for me?? You shouldn't have!! :lol:

But of course!! High speed passes up and down the drive were the highlight of the day!!
:zoom:

For those not in on the joke... This is the guy that helped me get my handle. Here is one of the lessons we learned in DT.. Destructive Testing!

Or one of the more successful rounds... those are 200lb robots being bashed around!!

Thanks Rabid!! Your going to have to make a trip when it's done and we'll go play at VIR!

Cheers,

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 21, 2012, 9:58 am 

Acerguy wrote:
Looking great!

Oh, and I love the RC's on the Jetta. One of my all time favorite wheels.
Some of my favorite rims ever too (you notice the Subi snowflakes are very similar!) and coincidentally, they have the same bolt pattern as the Flakes.. They fit great... I've already tried them!

I'll be trying them on it properly before I decide on fenders and such to see if I like the bigger rims and you never know.. they might just find a new home!! :twisted:

Cheers,

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: May 22, 2012, 9:15 am 

botbasher wrote:
rabid wrote:
Thanks Rabid!! Your going to have to make a trip when it's done and we'll go play at VIR!

Cheers,

KS

Imagining driving the crx cross country is to imagine most of the same issues as driving a se7en. Built cars are built cars. Axiom of truth. I think I would settle with a ride along in yours though!

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 12:06 am 

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!! :cheers:

It's started off with some great milestones... if the remainder of the weekend goes as well, I might just get to drive this thing before the snow flies!!!

I'm coming to find that the local Pick-A-Part might not be such a bad place after all! I walked in to just look around and happen to find a 87 Benz with a recently serviced fuel system. For those not in the know about 80's Benz fuel systems, they have a twin set of awesome Bosch CIS Pumps (same, but LP and HP pumps). So I grab them and figure that the girl at the counter is going to hit me for 2 even though they are on the same bracket. So I pony up to the counter and $17 later I have a set of twin Bosch Pumps at home!! I can sell the 2nd and call it a wash, or more than likely I'll keep it as a spare! Pick-A-Parts are not all evil, mostly!

So now that I have a pump that is much easier to place (if you have never looked at them, I suggest you do.. they are small, fairly quiet and powerful (~100psi) while drawing low amps!) I dug in and finished patching the tank and mounted the pump and tank in their new home!

Tomorrow is going to be battery mount and the beginnings of the dash structure if I can manage it!

Holy Bat Cohones!!! This is becoming a car like thing quite quickly!! :shock:

Cheers!

KS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 27, 2012, 7:29 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Holy Bat Cohones!!! This is becoming a car like thing quite quickly!!

Well said, Bot! And well done, too, Sir! Good score on the Benz fuel pump(s). It does look like a compact little booger...

And, as always, keep up the good work and let's finish up a car like thing and go ridin'!!!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 10:52 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
And, as always, keep up the good work and let's finish up a car like thing and go ridin'!!!
:cheers:
JDK
I'm trying! I'm trying, but it's hard!!!

It's funny how effort is now shifting from the physical part of the build (ug.. cut metal.. weld here) to the more cerebral portion of the build (hmm, now how do I attach that bit to this bit without it looking like a caveman did it?). No disrespect meant to any of our caveman builders or similarities to Gieco Commercials inferred!

Although Photoman has pointed me in the direction that I want for my hood/nose section, I find myself trying to make the mounting sexy looking while not over complicating it too badly. My limited access to the internet is frustrating me even more as I know with all the hot rods and custom cars out there, there has to be a tilt option that works for me!

Sadly, I've been talking with a co-worker and I think I'm simply going to Dzus it on for now and revisit it when I find some more time down the road or have one of those epiphany moments about how to do it. Problem is knowing myself, I will leave it as is forever if I don't address it during the build portion.

ARG!!! Can't I just go back to cutting metal!!! Ug... Bonk! :BH:

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 12:48 pm 

Hi Ken,

Build is looking great! Progress is pretty amazing.

This is an option for hood/bonnet closures:
http://catalog.mooreindhardware.com/ite ... 01-hl-c-gl?

Cheers

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 1:29 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Hi Ken,

Build is looking great! Progress is pretty amazing.

This is an option for hood/bonnet closures:
http://catalog.mooreindhardware.com/ite ... 01-hl-c-gl?

Cheers
Thanks!! I have to stop every now and again and take in the fact that I am now closer to the finish than the starting line. Very cool feeling!

Those closures are pretty slick... they really wanted to be sure about it not rusting, huh? I have never seen zinc plated stainless?!?!

Unfortunately the tilt nose is what I'm having a problem figuring out. Thankfully it's been slow at work today and I think I found someplace to start my "adaptation". A hotrod hood kit served as the inspiration today.... never know where it comes from, huh? I was on the right path... just didn't follow it far enough.. probably more to do with the 89+F it was in the garage the other day... hard to work on fine details when it's like that!

Here's what I'm thinking.... My nose is sitting about 1/2 way down on the LD member (can't move it or I'll lose clearance over the engine) and it has to drop 1st to clear LD, so the typical piano hinge would be difficult and just not what I'm looking for. Something like this lets the cover, in this case a tilt hood for a 32 Roadster move up before pivoting out. Now I just need to cut up some manilla folders and make a working model!! Where are they in the office supply cabinet?!?

Cheers,

KS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 3:56 pm 

Have you checked out the Stalker hood set up? A forward tilting one piece hood/nose cone.

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 3:57 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Do a little searching for the Velo Rossa 250GTO kit. I've had one, but can't find any pics of the tilt hood arrangement. It's 2 hinges similar to the one for the 32 Ford.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 7:03 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Have you checked out the Stalker hood set up? A forward tilting one piece hood/nose cone.

I don't know... they are pretty high tech!!! :roll:

I'm still debating between a one piece vs butterfly hood, but it'll definitely have a tilting nose. The all-in-one nose-hoods look good, but I hate trying to work down in the front where you have to wedge in, a la Vette or RX-7!

Thanks for the thought though!

Cheers!

KS

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 7:28 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Do a little searching for the Velo Rossa 250GTO kit. I've had one, but can't find any pics of the tilt hood arrangement. It's 2 hinges similar to the one for the 32 Ford.
Had.... as in don't own any more?? Aw man... that is a sexy little ride.. and built on a Z! Sweet!!!

I looked all over and can find pics, but none of the hood hinge. I'm going to toy with my cardboard tonight before I take off for a few days on a biz trip, but I think that 32 Rod hinge will do what I need... only the cardboard knows for sure!! Snip... tape... snip... tape!

Cheers!

KS

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 10:04 pm 

....if you did the 'all in one' hood/nose, you lose your headlight mounts....they will have to be attached to the hood/nose (if you have clamshell fenders anyway)....I'm moving mine up, but they still have to be on a bracket attached to the hood... (suppose motorcycle fenders would leave enough room)

PostPosted: May 30, 2012, 11:45 pm 

I have seen a few Stalkers and their driver/owners all carry something, usually a blanket, to lay on the ground under the nose when they open it. They do come close to the ground.

I did see a build log just the other day that had a piano hinge down the middle of the hood but I don't recall where. If it comes to me I'll post a link, but don't count on it. Memory loss is just one of the dangers of aging.
Can't remember what the others are.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 36  Next