LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 3, 2024, 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: May 31, 2012, 12:02 pm 

Westfield makes a tilting hood that I remember from the Flyin' Miata build. I believe that this application has a rod that limits the nose travel and avoids hitting the pavement.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 10:18 am 

I have come to a great realization in life.... Poison Oak Sucks!!! It would seem like there are few things that can put such a grinding halt on a speedy rebuild as the pain and agony that I have endured over the last week! I have never been allergic to anything in my life and now I find that I am very sensitive to Poison Oak! How's that for a kicker on getting older?

I'm told that it can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks before normalcy returns... I'm hoping that it feels good enough to at least get back out into the garage and tinker a bit! Sitting around scratching large parts of my body or using hot water as some perverse sort of pain reliever is not my idea of fun!!

Cheers from within a Benadryl haze!

KS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 10:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Yukk-Oh, Man, that looks bad...
Maybe you shouldn't go rollin' around in the bushes with those goats... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 10:33 am 

At least you know about hot water. Hot as you can stand while rubbing the area and then cold water. Others thought I was crazy but it help for an hour or 2. Cortisone cream and wrap with "saran wrap" at night.
Good luck!

JMR

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 11:02 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yukk-Oh, Man, that looks bad...
Maybe you shouldn't go rollin' around in the bushes with those goats... :mrgreen:
Goats?? There were goats there too?!?!

I wish it was that fun... just pulled some weeds out under some shrubs... not much nefarious-ness about that...

Yeah.. looks bad now and that's after a week!! That's only the arm too... managed to get it on the face, chest and side. The one on the side hurts the worst.. all that soft skin!! Eyes were noticeably swollen for a day or two! :ack:

I can understand the arms, but I had a shirt on. Figure because I was sweating rivers, the oils got in and worked there magic better than they normally would! Darn the luck!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by botbasher on June 8, 2012, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 11:10 am 

Kartracer47 wrote:
At least you know about hot water. Hot as you can stand while rubbing the area and then cold water. Others thought I was crazy but it help for an hour or 2. Cortisone cream and wrap with "saran wrap" at night.
Good luck!

JMR
Never heard about the Saran Wrap... what's that supposed to do? :?:

I like hot water in the shower anyway, so mine was extreme and gave an honest 6-8 hours of solace... I looked like a lobster for a bit, but it was absolutely worth it!!!

I think I'll "wrap" myself before I go out in the yard again... maybe that's the ticket!! Damn the goats and neighbors talking!!! :shock:

Cheers!! :cheers:

KS

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 11:32 am 

Go for a swim in a heavily chlorinated pool, or soak in a tub of hot-as-you-can-stand water with a couple capfuls of bleach. Clears mine up in a couple days. Found this out by accident on vacation on year...

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 12:09 pm 

krepus wrote:
Go for a swim in a heavily chlorinated pool, or soak in a tub of hot-as-you-can-stand water with a couple capfuls of bleach. Clears mine up in a couple days. Found this out by accident on vacation on year...
I thought about the pool and tub, but read of a problem with that tack...

It's the oils in the plants that does it, so if you soak in a pool and "float" the oil, what happens when you stand up through the oil slick? I'd happily take it on my arms and avoid getting it down there!! Does the chlorine "kill" the oil?

The worse part of it was that by the time I noticed it (2 days later) I was already in the middle of WI traveling on a business trip, so I was kinda hosed!

Lessons learned for the next time... as I'm sure it'll happen again. I'm just hoping I can keep it a bit more contained!

Thanks!

KS

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 1:23 pm 

The oils get spread and affect greater areas. Once the clothes and you are washed, the contamination is stopped but the reaction continues. Dog/cat can bring the oil in on their fur. There is a good soap at the drug store for poison oak/ivy but you need to use it immediately after contact.
The wrap just concentrates the cortisone but I use it only at night - NOT when working/sweating.
I developed an epoxy allergy when building a glass airplane. Stopped me for a couple of months. Cortisone cream and surgical gloves to bed. Ended up using a carbon filter respirator with cotton gloves, black butyl gloves followed with surgical gloves. Lived in the desert at the time - sweat POURED out of my gloves.

JMR

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 1:50 pm 

Ohhhhhhhh that sucks! At least I vaguely remember that it sucks, I went thru a vaccination style treatment a couple of decades ago that still seems to be protecting me just fine (as of the frisbee game 2 weeks ago anyways, I'm sure that I'll start reacting again now that I've mentioned it).
As for reducing future issues, I recommend homeopathic Rhus Tox, as I said I haven't had an inflammatory response from poison ivy in decades. I've been told it will also reduce the immediate swelling but I've not tried it for that.
Here's a bit of background; http://www.vithoulkas.com/en/books-study/online-materia-medica/3022.html

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 1:52 pm 

Ohh, that makes me itch just to look at it. Here's hoping it goes away quickly.

Not that I think you would, but don't even consider burning the poison oak. My folks lived in a condo when I was in college, and when I was at home one summer the landscapers hired by the condo association did just that. That's how I learned that you can get poison oak inflammation inside your lungs.

...Good times. :BH:

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 2:52 pm 

Jober wrote:
Ohh, that makes me itch just to look at it. Here's hoping it goes away quickly.
... That's how I learned that you can get poison oak inflammation inside your lungs.

...Good times. :BH:
Thanks for the thoughts... yeah.. it's mildly uncomfortable.. to say the least! Cutting off my fingers didn't bother me this much!!!

Yeah.. every site I looked at mentions the ix-nay on the urningbay! I just have to figure out how to keep it down and not kill the hedges surrounding it!

Maybe it's time to find a gardener?? Least to deal with it, huh?

Cheers!

KS

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 3:13 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
That's how I learned that you can get poison oak inflammation inside your lungs.

Steven Wright (stand-up comic) used to do a bit about his girlfriend who got poison ivy of the brain.
The only way she could scratch it was to think about sandpaper...

*Edit* Yes, I am an un-sympathetic [Fatherless Child]. Why do you ask?
Hope you get better soon, Bot!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 3:24 pm 

OOOHHH that sucks.. To re-iterate... DO NOT burn the Poison oak or IVY... I had a friend in high school that spent a few days in the hospital for doing just that. That was a couple of months after a bad case where he got it in his nether regions while we were camping. (Took a piss after touching the Ivy I guess). Poor guy put a nail through his foot earlier that spring in the same place where the burning happened. I was there for that one.... :ack: Nail came through the top of his foot :ack: Luckily, no permanent foot damage. We were trying (even him) not to laugh. Debated about just pulling it out.Went inside, cut the nail off, used lots of betadine pulled it out.. Went to the doctor and he cleaned it up, gave him some antibiotics.. Good as new. Good thing there was no infection. Easier than poison Ivy or Oak.. That crap is a couple of weeks of misery. Again, feel better. I know it sucks!!!

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 6:00 pm 

It always seemed to dry it out when we were little. Scrub it with a rag under the water to open it up and it seems to clean it out; never had issues with spreading to the nethers... Keep the water HOT...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 36  Next