LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next
PostPosted: April 3, 2012, 3:36 pm 

Using a 9000 Slave, Volvo B230F PP, Volvo M47 trans, Fiat X-1/9 slave.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: April 3, 2012, 4:09 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo Bot!
Could you use a "pull" slave cylinder instead of the OEM unit or the "Pancake" version? Honestly, I'm not sure about what a "Pancake" slave cyl is, do you mean the "hydraulic throw-out bearing" kind of thing? I think a "Pull" unit would be cheaper, and since it mounts on the outside of the bell housing/trans, easier to change out if you needed to.
JDK
Yo JD!

I thought about a "pull" but it's awfully tight over there. The OEM would go right through the "H" upright. I wouldn't have anyplace to easily mount a "pull" version of the same style unless I start drilling and tapping on the cast bell housing!

Yes.. Pancake=Internal Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder. :oops: I need to put the battery right in that same area, so the smaller the better. I opened this can of worms this build when I moved the motor forward so my big ole clod hoppers had room to mash at the peddles (figured I should give myself the room this build!). That moved the arm right into the way of the "H" upright. If I wasn't running inboard suspension, I could move the rack and gain the needed space, but if the ideas from Bremms and Benny_Toe can pan out, this might be a moot point!

Is there a generic slave you were thinking about. I'm hesitant, but willing to move the "H" upright if a simple solution presents itself! Smaller batteries can always be had!

Thanks for the info!

Ken

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: April 3, 2012, 4:12 pm 

bremms wrote:
Works great and gives superb clutch action and feel. Mine could use a slightly smaller master , but all I have to do is just dip the clutch.

Volvo M47 transmission. Only catch with mine is needing to machine the plate for the slave to get a proper seal.
Proper seal?!?!?

I thought these were self contained? Isn't that plate just a spacer?

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: April 3, 2012, 8:14 pm 

Yes it needs to seal. The area on the bell housing was ground flat. Used a thin gasket and sealant between the plate and the housing. No leaks at all so far. The Saab shaft seal is the same size as the Volvo seal. Thought the whole thing out pretty well.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: April 8, 2012, 12:03 am 

Well... it wasn't directly related to the car, but it was definitely inspiring!!

Got a friend at work that races and told me about a track day this weekend. He was taking his 280Z out for some fun. So I trucked on out. I even made it out early enough today to make the lunch time "parade" lap. I had forgotten how much fun the track could be. Our so called "parade" lap was clocked at a fraction below triple digits and my partners in crime, a 2003 BMW M3 and a 2010 Lamborghini Murciélago were absolutely no help in slowing it down.

Now, if you want to talk about a way to light a fire under your build, I can honestly say it was $10 well spent. If my bulky street car was that much fun, how long will the smile last with a purpose built race capable car??

Here's a couple shots of the days events. The names and plates have been changed to protect the guilty!! EDIT: It finally let me add them... Enjoy!

Cheers!

KS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 8, 2012, 5:48 pm 

It finally let me add pics. Anyone know what the deal was??

KS

PostPosted: April 8, 2012, 6:38 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Bot!
Looks like a lot of fun! VIR is a beautiful place and a great track!
Any more pics?
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 8, 2012, 6:44 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Bot!
Looks like a lot of fun! VIR is a beautiful place and a great track!
Any more pics?
:cheers:
JDK
It was more fun than should be allowed by law!

Hundreds... literally! I love digital and use it to excess! 740 pics in 6 hours of visit! If you want to see em, I'll Photobucket them.... bout time I start one anyhow! I'll send you a link when I get back. In Germany this week for work! Beer and Schnitzel, here I come!

Cheers!

KS

PostPosted: April 8, 2012, 8:47 pm 
The voice of reason

If you have problems uploading or posting in general, and this is especially true if you actually get an error message - please post it in the Problems area under "General Discussion" topics. Thanks.

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 11:09 am 

Well, before I took of for a week and after the day of fun I had at VIR I just couldn't resist work on the car a bit on Sun!

It's probably the only time we'll ever hear this, but I do get to say it!!

Happy RE-ROLLER Day to me!!! It's sat on the ground all on it's own!! I am now back to the spot I was before my unfortunate encounter with a divorce lawyer!

So, as I ready to board the plane, I happily sing under my breath (lest the other passengers think I am looney as the pilots and stewards on these things and subdue me) ... Happy Roller Day to Me.. again... Happy Roller Day to Me.. again.......

Cheers!

KS

p.s. The car was clean before last night. All that "stuff" was what I discovered while digging! Like X-Mas all over again!! :cheers:

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 12:23 pm 

Love "parade" laps. Did some at CMP in my Volvo 142 track car at a Ferrari event. Loads of fun since I could drive 9/10.
Did some on my Aprilia at a vintage race event at Darlington. Really strange going around banking at 120+ on a bike.

Keep working on your car, looks like it's coming together!!!

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 3:39 pm 

Well, after a week of traveling for work in Germany and another week trying to catch up from the week I missed, I finally got into the garage and made some progress and I have to admit, it's starting to look like a car that might one day have a chance to see the road!!

I have a reaffirmed love with the word FREE!!! The guys at work know my plight (non-existent budget build) and help out when ever they can. The facilities guy is my new hero! Not only did he score me a set of 4ft lights for the dark cave I call a garage but after scrimping and saving my lunch money for a gas refill, I turned in my tank this AM and not two hours later, he had it back, filled and the best part... for FREE!!! Thank you Roddy!

So on the car, I was able to join the hot water tanks I got gratis from the scrap bin at work and make what should turn out to be a very nice 10gal stainless fuel tank. Now I just have to figure out where to hide the pump since the larger tank took up the space I used on the last build!!

I got the steering completed, including mid-shaft bearing and extension. I had to move the rack to prevent binding and interference between it and the water pump. I'll also end up relocating the alternator to the other side of the motor due the the belt being a bit too close to the steering shaft. Luckily VW has an option for this OEM and I simply need to find a late 80's Fox!

The last big jump this week was the work on the motor, trans and diff mounts.

So I now have all the major "external" parts located, mounted and am ready to start the detail work, including figuring out a dash and how to mount a 12" touchscreen display! Why do I have a sinking suspision that the hardest part of the build just started??

Cheers!

KS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 26, 2012, 11:38 pm 
Toyotaphobe

botbasher wrote:
So on the car, I was able to join the hot water tanks I got gratis from the scrap bin at work and make what should turn out to be a very nice 10gal stainless fuel tank.

You're brilliant! I would have never thought of that but I just got rid of 2 HWHs. What capacity HWH were those?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 27, 2012, 7:47 am 

Another use for a hot water tank is for a DIY sandblaster. I built mine some 10-15 years ago. It still gets used occasionally.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 27, 2012, 11:54 am 

carguy123 wrote:
botbasher wrote:
So on the car, I was able to join the hot water tanks I got gratis from the scrap bin at work and make what should turn out to be a very nice 10gal stainless fuel tank.

You're brilliant! I would have never thought of that but I just got rid of 2 HWHs. What capacity HWH were those?
Thanks for the compliment!

They spec out at a bit under 5 gallons, so between the pair it should be about 10 gal. I'm going to get a nice sheet of stainless to wrap it with when done, so I hope it turns out as nice as I envision it!

Cheers!

KS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next