LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KYLE'S LOCOST MX5 HAYNES
PostPosted: October 18, 2015, 9:10 pm 

Secondary goal: Build a Gibbs/Haynes M-X 5 roadster. Primary goal: ...Not to quit. I was in a Autobody program in my 20's and learned to do MIG welding on thin steel,enjoyed it,but never used it. Had dreams of building of a Lotus 7 style car while going to that school but argued myself out of it. Went towards being practical and safe. Around 50yrs old I got obsessed again.This time I felt the "practical" thing to do was to try. My tech,math,and mechanical,skills arent even close to what will be needed, but I can start. It also helps that wife is in my corner. She has encouraged me from the start. "MIG? Its a lot of money? Go buy it!" Same with other tools I've needed. :)

PostPosted: October 19, 2015, 1:22 am 

Hi Kyle, it looks like you've come to the right place.
KTA77 wrote:
My tech,math,and mechanical,skills arent even close to what will be needed, but I can start.
Maybe they aren't yet, but you'll have mad skills when you're done. And PS--your wife sounds like a keeper.

PostPosted: October 19, 2015, 8:40 am 

Kyle
Welcome to the madhouse! The guys and gals here are always willing to help. There are a lot of lessons learned within this group, which makes life a lot easier. Where are you located. Dave W

PostPosted: October 19, 2015, 9:08 pm 

Thank you very much for the encouragement. Have been at this for about five yrs and am doing the final weld before taking apart the Miata. Will try post pictures. And yes, I know that I did indeed marry "up"! We are located in one of the southwest burbs of Chicago. In this area I've seen a white Cateram,a neon yellow 7 with clamshells, and I think I saw the WestChicago RX7 pass by while in traffic. We moved here to be close to the Grandkids and are loving it. When my Grandaughter was 5, I showed her the blank build platform and told her that I was going to build a car on it. She asked innocently, "We can have rides?"

PostPosted: October 19, 2015, 9:53 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Kyle! How ya doin? Welcome to the forum, and to "The Builder's Log"... So, you gotta build something while you're here, OK? :mrgreen:

Don't worry about being a little rusty on stuff, it'll come back to you... Eventually... Just hang in there, try to do a little bit on the car every day or so, keep tinkerin' away... It'll all come right at the end. (At least that's what they keep telling me???)

Good luck and keep us posted. Pictures, we like pictures!!! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD "If I can do it, anybody can" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 19, 2015, 10:01 pm 

Welcome to the Dark Side... er um.... I mean... here :)

But seriously, I think you may have found the best little corner of the world for doing and sharing what you're doing and sharing.

PostPosted: October 19, 2015, 10:45 pm 

Welcome to the best forum on the interwebs. This is the kind of addiction you don't need to worry about trying to come off of.

How long have you been working on your car?

As JD stated, we do love pics. If you need any help uploading them it's quite easy unlike most other forums.

PostPosted: October 22, 2015, 9:42 pm 

Thanks again everybody. I have been stealing out to to the garage for almost five years and....o.k. , now I do feel like I'm in a 12 step group. :) Most of the pictures I have are in our home computer and need to figure out how to send them to my tablet. Another sad story: other pics were on an old phone that wasn't waterproof. I'm slow because,well, because I'm slow. Also took some breaks to make birthday presents, etc for my wife. Right now am towards the end of the final weld. Planning on putting the Miata's subframe on the rear of that. Would like to figure how to "shave" the sub-frame somehow.

PostPosted: October 28, 2015, 7:57 pm 

Went to HomeDepot and bought a 4' by 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood and a sheet of 1/2" MDF and two 8 foot,4" by 4", pressure treated posts. Along with some 2 by 4's as cross braces and to support the plywood top. Then, found a flat spot (thankfully there was a flat spot where I needed it) and laid the table down. Thankfully the surface was flat!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 31, 2015, 9:19 pm 

We moved up to Illinois about eleven yrs ago from Phoenix. Wife wanted to be closer to the grand kids. We found a house (that wasn't even on the market) 2 houses from them. And, of course there is the added blessing of this State's wonderful politics and...winter. More people should move here! Things have gone well though. Got my CDL, started driving a Semi-truck, and then got this obsession. Found out quickly that even doing something as simple as drawing the lines out on the board or getting one tube cut brought a lot of enjoyment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 31, 2015, 9:24 pm 

Yes, I'm slow. But my Mom says I'm special!

PostPosted: October 31, 2015, 9:42 pm 

the "duh" comment of the week... but I found that a couple of fairly inexpensive plastic saw horses were more than sufficient to hold up the table and the build (and me in the build). Should you get tired of bending over at some point....

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: November 1, 2015, 1:10 am 

Get that table off the floor! My back hurts just looking at your pictures!

PostPosted: November 2, 2015, 11:55 pm 
We are Slotus!

RoyzMG wrote:
Get that table off the floor! My back hurts just looking at your pictures!
Yeah, what he ^ said! Do you really like crawlin' around on the floor to work on the car? My back and my knees hurt from thinking about it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 3, 2015, 12:42 am 

Just a minute now........after a debriefing with Capt'n Morgan I do believe that table is just about the safe height for me. :lol: :lol:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle