LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: February 15, 2010, 5:30 pm 
Always Moore!

Have you pressure tested the tank with something other than just air?

A tank filled with water and pressurized with <5psi of shop air works really well at finding the super tiny pin holes.

The FSAE fuel tanks we tig welded always had a few little holes that would not appear unless the tank was left filled overnight or it was filled and pressurized.

PostPosted: February 16, 2010, 12:55 am 

Probably would have been a good idea to use water first. Just tested with air pressure and soapy water for leaks. After I mounted it, I filled it with gas and it doesn't appear to be leaking. Will be tricky to weld if it does start to leak now.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 3:16 am 

Well so far my tank is not leaking, but the welds might crack once I start driving it. If so I will probably just weld up a steel tank and chalk this one up to experience. I have had a piece of the rad hose that i am using for a filler neck soaking in a bottle of gasoline for the last 2 weeks and it looks like it will hold up. Last weekend I decided to make the rear panel. The corners aren't quite as nice as I would like, but I will leave them for now. I think I had too much overlap. I think I want to change the rear. Thats all for my progress for now, as I am in Burnaby for school for 8 weeks.

I will have to do some fibreglass work to make the fender match the curve of the panel.

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 5:10 am 

I work at Gates Rubber, the oem supplier for everything from timing belts and radiator hoses to vacuum and fuel line(anything rubber really...) We also supply Carquest with their parts(rubber related) If you or anyone else needs any thing rubbery let me know so you don't have to guess at the durability of something as important as filler neck material... I'll see what I can dig up...lol!

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 7:33 am 

krepus wrote:
I work at Gates Rubber, the oem supplier for everything from timing belts and radiator hoses to vacuum and fuel line(anything rubber really...) We also supply Carquest with their parts(rubber related) If you or anyone else needs any thing rubbery let me know so you don't have to guess at the durability of something as important as filler neck material... I'll see what I can dig up...lol!

And gates also supplies NAPA which is better than carquest :D (sorry shameless plug)

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 9:03 am 

Nice rear fenders, where did ya find those?

PostPosted: March 1, 2010, 10:10 am 

All the fibreglass parts came from CMC about 6 years ago.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 2, 2010, 9:02 am 

Sorry, not trying to plug Gates or anything... I'm just a temp there, only job I could find when I was laid off... Lol! I could sneak an employee discount though if you needed 3 foot lengths of fuel filler hose though...

PostPosted: March 24, 2010, 9:37 pm 

So I picked up a spare transmission at Pick-A-Part in Chilliwack today. Their weekly special included transmissions for $50, so I figured it was a good idea. It came from an 86 Hyundai Stellar that someone had already taken the front suspension out of, I wonder if someone in the Vancouver area is using them for a Locost build? I also picked up some gauges for reasonably cheap too.

Kristian

PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 12:58 pm 

Nice find on the tranny. I'm going down to the Calgary Pick-n-Pull on Easter weekend to hopefully pick up a T5. Not really looking forward to rolling around in the gravel and potential mud and snow but the price is right, so I guess I'll do it, if I have to. :lol:

PostPosted: March 25, 2010, 6:09 pm 

Trochu wrote:
Nice find on the tranny. I'm going down to the Calgary Pick-n-Pull on Easter weekend to hopefully pick up a T5. Not really looking forward to rolling around in the gravel and potential mud and snow but the price is right, so I guess I'll do it, if I have to. :lol:

If it's muddy, I like to yank the carpet out of a trunk and lay that on the ground. Or if there's a ratty ol back seat, thats what I used yesterday. Good luck finding a T5. I don't know about Calgary, but I've never had much luck finding a good one at Chilliwack or Kelowna pick a part. Lots of 4 cylinder cars but no v8's. How's the frame construction going?
Kristian

PostPosted: June 14, 2010, 8:47 pm 

So it sucks when real life gets in the way of fun stuff. I have been busy with all kinds of stuff lately so I haven't had a chance to work on my car since February. Today I finally got to spend some quality time with it. I've been away from home for 3 months and then getting married and working on yard stuff. Today I pulled the engine to modify the oil pan and change the pan gasket, then it can go back together and I can autocross it this summer. My current autocross car is a gutted, but otherwise stock Festiva that I got for free. It's a piece of crap, the other guys call it the clown car because it has so much body roll and wallows around on completely sacked suspension. The locost will be a nice change.
Kristian

PostPosted: June 19, 2010, 2:57 pm 

So here's a couple pictures of my current "race car", using the term very loosely.

It will be a bit of a change to run something that can actually handle and go fast. I have the engine out of the locost to modify the oil pan and change the pan gasket. I put it on the bathroom scale and the engine weighs 365 pounds, complete with flywheel, clutch, transmission adaptor plate, engine mounts, starter, carb and ignition. The transmission weighs 63 pounds with shifter.
Kristian

Last edited by turbo_bird on July 23, 2014, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 15, 2010, 1:33 am 

So first autocross with my locost tonight. One of the guys did a couple short videos that I thought I would try to link to here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg8ttgP32I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxGmn4OHG8
Hopefully they work. I definately need to learn to drive better now, it's quite a handfull.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 15, 2010, 7:24 am 

Heah nice! looks like it was fun!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next