LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 3, 2020, 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: April 10, 2015, 3:04 pm 

Here's how the scuttle looked after fiberglassing. After I took these shots, I did some more sanding, and still have high spots where I almost go through to air to get them sanded down. I will have to do some more work to it before it's ready for filler and paint. Should be nice weather all weekend, so hopefully I can get it done. I might trim the edge back a bit and have less overhang over my dash too, I'm not sure yet.

Seeing how much sanding and reinforcing on the inside I still have to do almost made me think about scrapping it and building it out of aluminum instead, but I think I will be able to make it look good eventually.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 10, 2015, 3:17 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
So send us a picture of your fiberglass artwork!!! Your fans await... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

I have fans now? Plural even. Uh oh, I hope expectations aren't high and the fame doesn't go to my head, I have a hard enough time finding hats that fit. Part of that could be because it's pointy though.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 12, 2015, 1:25 am 

So I didn't give up on my fiberglass scuttle yet. Today I reinforced my worst thin spot (more like an air gap) with about 12 or 15 layers of fiberglass, then sanded it from the outside, and put a final layer of cloth on the outside. I covered it all with wax paper to hopefully keep the sanding and filler to a minimum before I can paint it. It's too cold again to do any fiberglass or bondo stuff outside, but I'll do the sanding outside to keep the dust inside to a minimum. Either that or the shop vac is going to get a rwal workout. I'm hoping I can get mostly done with the bodywork tomorrow, maybe get some primer on it. I'll post pics when I have something worth taking pictures of. I also did some reading on bias ply slicks and alignment settings today, and I think I'm going to dial my camber back to about -1 or -1.5, which is still OK for the R888's (-1 to -3 recommended).
Kristian

PostPosted: April 12, 2015, 5:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I covered it all with wax paper to hopefully keep the sanding and filler to a minimum before I can paint it.
How's that trick working for you? I tried it a few times on mine, with less than stellar results. What I finally settled on was another variety of cloth. the main one I use is a 6.5 or 8 ounce (I've used both, whichever is on special!) bi-directional weave. Looks like white burlap more or less. The other kind is a very fine weave, only about 2 ounce, that looks like white silk.

I'll put the 8 oz stuff on, three or so layers, two at a minimum and let it cure. Then block sand and if needed, fill the low spots with bondo or glazing putty, depending on the size. Sand those down. Then a couple of layups of the fine cloth, put on as dry as I can get it. The heavier the base cloth is, the more layers of fine cloth you'll need. With the 8 oz cloth, I'm usually gonna need 3 or 4 layups of the fine cloth. I let that cure and go back to block sanding. I usually start with about an 80 grit on a longboard sander, then go to a jitterbug also with 80. Switch out to 100 or so, then 220, etc.

A good coat of primer or three is next, then more sanding as needed, usually with about a 220. Prime it up, sand it off, repeat...

Wet sand the finished piece with 1000 or 1500, and you're ready for final priming and paint.

Geeze, you didn't ask for all that... Why don't somebody stop me??? :mrgreen:

So, how YOU doin???
JDK

It's kinda slow... But I got nuthin else to do since they sold Bill... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 12, 2015, 6:06 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
I covered it all with wax paper to hopefully keep the sanding and filler to a minimum before I can paint it.
How's that trick working for you? I tried it a few times on mine, with less than stellar results. What I finally settled on was another variety of cloth. the main one I use is a 6.5 or 8 ounce (I've used both, whichever is on special!) bi-directional weave. Looks like white burlap more or less. The other kind is a very fine weave, only about 2 ounce, that looks like white silk.

I'll put the 8 oz stuff on, three or so layers, two at a minimum and let it cure. Then block sand and if needed, fill the low spots with bondo or glazing putty, depending on the size. Sand those down. Then a couple of layups of the fine cloth, put on as dry as I can get it. The heavier the base cloth is, the more layers of fine cloth you'll need. With the 8 oz cloth, I'm usually gonna need 3 or 4 layups of the fine cloth. I let that cure and go back to block sanding. I usually start with about an 80 grit on a longboard sander, then go to a jitterbug also with 80. Switch out to 100 or so, then 220, etc.

A good coat of primer or three is next, then more sanding as needed, usually with about a 220. Prime it up, sand it off, repeat...

Wet sand the finished piece with 1000 or 1500, and you're ready for final priming and paint.

Geeze, you didn't ask for all that... Why don't somebody stop me??? :mrgreen:

So, how YOU doin???
JDK

It's kinda slow... But I got nuthin else to do since they sold Bill... :mrgreen:

It seems to have worked not too bad, the surface was smoother than with nothing. I ended sanding it with 60 grit on a jitterbug, then a couple rounds of bondo which got mostly sanded off again. I put a couple coats of fill primer on it just now, but I have a few spot I should have used some glaze putty on first, so that was a bit premature. I won't go as nuts as you on the sanding though. When I painted the car last spring, I think I went to 320 grit, primer, green scotchbrite pad, then paint. The Tremclad paint I used levels pretty good though, it isn't really supposed to be automotive paint. The scuttle is just going to get the spray bomb treatment for now, it makes way less mess and over spray than my old school high pressure spray gun. Of course now that I think of it, I do have a little touch up gun I could use. Tremclad spray bomb is pretty decent though, I once painted an entire car with it that looked decent for about 3 or 4 years. It was never parked inside, plus driven in the winter.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 12, 2015, 10:16 pm 

I put a thin skim of spot putty in some spots where I could still see the weave of the cloth and in some pinholes, then once that was dry I gave it a quick wet sand with 120 grit. Then I put 5 more coats of fill primer on it and will give that a quick wet sand with 320 or a green scotchbrite pad after work tomorrow, then depending how it looks, maybe I'll paint it orange tomorrow. I'm sure it's probably not the right way to do bodywork, but I really like the scotchbrite pads.

Kristian

PostPosted: April 12, 2015, 10:24 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey, that's lookin' really good Kristian! I'd say that was a job well done... Or almost done any way. I may have to try the scotchbrite pads! I've only used 'em for cleaning stuff and occasionally scuffing a metal surface for painting. Looks like they worked well for you.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 13, 2015, 12:17 am 

I haven't hit the primer with the pads yet, but the rest of the car I did that way. Here's the car that I spraybombed about 10 years ago. All I did was take the trim off, take it down to the original primer with scotchbrite pads, and put 2 coats of satin black on it with flat black Shelby stripes. I should have done some bodywork, but it wasn't bad for a quick weekend project and no spray booth. Total cost was about $80.

Kristian

PostPosted: April 14, 2015, 1:07 am 

When I got home from work today I sanded off most of the primer I put on my scuttle yesterday with 220 grit. It's not perfect, but goog enough for this thing. I splashed another coat of primer on and will try some colour tomorrow. I also got a set of tires ordered today, Toyo R888's 205/60r13, and with Toyo's race program, $160 each. List price in Canada is $268.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 15, 2015, 12:12 am 

I didn't do any work on my car tonight, I had to get some old oil patch junk running before I could go home, and when I got home, I had more important things to do.
Today was my son's 3rd birthday. We played with his cars, then had supper and ice cream cake.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 15, 2015, 7:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Today was my son's 3rd birthday. We played with his cars, then had supper and ice cream cake

Sounds like a good way to spend an evening! Tell him his Uncle Bubba says "Happy Birthday!"

PostPosted: April 15, 2015, 11:30 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
Today was my son's 3rd birthday. We played with his cars, then had supper and ice cream cake

Sounds like a good way to spend an evening! Tell him his Uncle Bubba says "Happy Birthday!"

I did, thanks. He was a bit confused, so I showed him pictures and videos of the Slotus. My wife laughed at that. I guess I'm a typical car guy, I can put a car to a face, but not so much with the names. Guys at the autocross meetings will be talking about somebody, and until someone says what card the drive, I have no idea who they're talking about.

I got some orange paint on my scuttle tonight, but it's not going to come out perfect. I had some light plastic sheeting stapled to the ceiling of my shop to cut down on over spray, and when I was turning the scuttle to finish the last coat, I moved it a bit to quick and the slight breeze moved the plastic sheet enough that it touched the fresh paint. I got mad, pulled the scuttle into the middle of the shop, and splashed a bit more paint on it to try to cover it up. I might do some wet sanding and a bit more paint if it turns out really terrible, but perfection is the enemy of good enough when it come to me and body/paint work. Oh well, this is pretty much the last thing I have to do before plating it for the summer, and I was hoping to do that this weekend. As soon as I pull the winter tires off my wife's car.

While waiting for the paint to dry, I was watching some YouTube videos of Sevens with my kids. One of an orange Caterham in the alps was cool. My daughter said it has the same orange as mine, and the same vroom vroom. A couple others I saw make me want to build one with a Hayabusa engine.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 16, 2015, 12:25 am 

The paint has had a couple hours to set up a bit, and doesn't look to terrible where the plastic sheeting attacked it. One step closer to on the road.Image
Not too bad for a quick rattle can job. At least it looks decent in a crappy cell phone pic. Now for some rubber edge molding and a lexan wind deflector to round it out.
Kristian

PostPosted: April 19, 2015, 3:44 pm 

So it's insured now for the summer, god help us all. I took each of the kids for a ride around town this morning just to see how it drives and all that. We have some pretty brutal streets here, so I was curious how my ground clearance was going to work out, but it seems just fine. Same with the ride quality, it's not harsh at all. I have about 2.25" clearance under my oil pan, which hangs down about 0.5" below the frame. There's about 3/4" of chassis rake. The wheel rates with the new springs are 290lbs/in front, 225 lbs/in rear. I didn't drag or bottom out anywhere on our rough streets, so that's cool. It feels weird driving this thing in traffic though, it's so tiny and low. The steering quickened works good, steering effort isn't too high or fidgety or anything, so a 2:1 would probably have been fine instead of the 1.5:1. It will be a straight up drop in if I decide to do it. I didn't see any cops when I was out and about, but I had a copy of my inspection paperwork with just in case. Here's a couple pictures of it with plates, hopefully I don't get hassled too much for bending my front one to tuck it in a bit. Note how nice and green my yard isn't and that most of the snow has melted already. OK, trying to make these pictures work is pissing me off, I'll try again later.
Kristian

Last edited by turbo_bird on April 19, 2015, 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: April 19, 2015, 4:08 pm 

It's lookin' good, Kristian. I couldn't access those last two photos, though.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 31  Next