LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: January 25, 2013, 8:49 pm 

seattletom wrote:
Trochu, Lookin' good! I really like that Tilton pedal assembly. Which tranny are you using behind your Ford motor?

Thanks Tom. Its a Tremec T5.

PostPosted: January 25, 2013, 9:43 pm 

Trochu, maybe something like this for the clutch?
Randy

PostPosted: January 25, 2013, 9:57 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Trochu-
That's the same kind of clutch slave cylinder that I used, a pull type. With the fairly narrow space in the tunnel, using the pull SC puts it ahead of the bell housing, where there's more room. Randy made a really nice br*cket (EEEK!) for his too. I'd steal that design, iffen I wuz you...
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 25, 2013, 10:36 pm 

In this photo if you look at the fuel line at the fire wall you can see the bleader line I added to make getting the air out of the cylinder easer.

PostPosted: January 27, 2013, 2:58 am 

That bracket does look pretty slick. And I do agree with you JD, I'd like to put it in front of the bell housing if I can. Randy, you switched your headers though didn't you? Would that system still work if you hadn't? I wasn't planning of switching my headers and it looks like the two would want to occupy the same space. What did you do with your headers to make the pull type work JD.

PostPosted: January 27, 2013, 10:16 am 
We are Slotus!

Good mornin' Trochu-
The Slotus was header challenged from the word go... I had planned to use "block hugger" headers, and had intended to reverse them so that they would merge into the collector forward of the center line of the engine, away from the foot box. That didn't work with the motor mount placement. Soooo... On the driver's side*, I used a block hugger header in normal position. The rear of the slave cylinder is close enough to the flange on the bottom of the header that we used it as a mounting point!
Attachment:
2 11 2012 Clutch Slave Mount.jpg
Looks a little weird, but it fits... Remember, this is an autocross/hillclimb car, so it won't be going on long drives or sitting in traffic. In other words, I don't think the engine will run for long enough periods for the heat to build up into the cylinder. (I'll report back on that...) I had originally planned to make a br*cket (EEK!) that would attach to the bell housing bolt just above the slave when this idea jumped up and bit James in the arse and we went with it. (YMMV)

*And on the passenger side, I used a Mustang "shorty" header. The block hugger's flange wound up pointed directly at the junction of two frame rails and there just wasn't room to make the necessary 90+ degree bend. *Sigh* Symmetry is over-rated, doncha tink? :ack:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 17, 2013, 8:19 pm 

Thanks for the photos regarding the clutch guys. I'm deinitely going to do something of a similar nature, just haven't gotten there yet. I've decided to tackle the exhaust next. Will use the stock manifolds for now, exiting to a 2.5" tube using a Flowmaster Resonator and Hushpower II muffler. The only thing I don't like about it is the cost, which is why I haven't progressed beyond the planning stage. Maybe I'll pull the trigger and visit Summit.com tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been closing off some loose ends:

Finally found some 90 degree bends in 1" tube that I could use. It's from an old swing set. I found lots in my travels (shopping cars, lawn mower handles, etc.) just nothing readily available:

Also bought some 16 gauge and cut and partially welded in a rear firewall. The bottom is still flapping around and not tight to the bar:

Found the throttle cable in a pile of junk, thought I'd lost that one, so I built a brackeat. It looks a little rough, not really thrilled with how the welds turned out, but it will work:

Finished up the LCA brackeats in the front:

Built a battery box, installed the lower seatbelt tabs, bought the wrong size battary, by a long shot, mounted the rad with rubber mounts etc.:

Struggling away on the wiring, might lose that battle, nothing some cash and a mechanic won't be able to solve though. I did manage to get the door buzzer working, very usefull indeed in one of these cars, the hazard lights, and the front signals. So a bit of progress. Hoping to get her sandblasted and painted on of these days, getting tired of the brown.

Cheers,

Last edited by Trochu on May 6, 2013, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 19, 2013, 1:17 pm 

Exhaust system ordered, I have to sit on my wallet or it will float away it's so light. Unfortunately I still have to put it together. Went with, from the manifold, exhaust flange connecting a sharp angle tube, to a 4" flex joint, to a 90 degree angle, to a Flowmaster Hushpower II resonator, to a Hushpower II muffler, to a tip exiting before the rear wheel. I'd like to make the exhaust exit the rear of the car, but I need to get it running before I start getting fancy.

PostPosted: May 6, 2013, 2:14 pm 

Got a few things done since my last post, quite pleased with how they turned out. Sorry about the lousy pictures, work gave me a new phone, it's not nearly as good as my old one, and I don't own a camera.

Roll bar from Kinetic, very please with the quality and the price, so far its freeeeeeee!

Tacked up the passenger side exhaust, it's Flowmaster, all T409 stainless except the flex pipe, which is T304.

Tried to hide the hangers behind/underneath the pipeworks:

And, if one looks at my first post, I was trying to have this completed by now. It obviously didn't happen, but the reason I wanted it completed did. I resigned this morning and will likely be moving 1,200 km to the most excellent province of Alberta......Cause Albertaaaaaa doesn't suck! Was hoping to drive a completed car onto a trailer and strap it down vs boxing up parts, which is what I will be doing.

PostPosted: May 6, 2013, 4:50 pm 

Wow, that's a big move. Good luck, Trochu. At least you have lots of parts already attached.

PostPosted: May 6, 2013, 7:41 pm 
We are Slotus!

nick47 wrote:
Wow, that's a big move. Good luck, Trochu. At least you have lots of parts already attached.

Yeah, like the man said... Big move! I hope it's a good one for you and yours. Try not to lose too many Locost parts along the way... and above all, Good Luck!
JDK

Note- this move puts you 1200 km closer to Team Slotus World Headquarters. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 4, 2014, 12:12 am 

It's difficult to put into words the feeling of positioning and leveling 5 br@ckets, ensuring everything is just right, laying down 10 pretty decent beads, standing back to admire my work, and then taking the multidue of clamps and magnets off too watch the piece fall to the ground because, for some inexplicable reason, I welded the wrong side of not one, but 5 br@ckets. :BH:

PostPosted: November 4, 2014, 12:22 am 

That does suck. Good to see you're still at it though.
Kristian

PostPosted: November 4, 2014, 2:25 am 

i did a welding exam some years ago, just after i started wearing glasses, everything went fine but i had forgotten my glasses and on the overhead test i layed a perfect bead down one side of the joint.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 2:47 pm 

build is looking good. Keep it going!
I have a 302 in my Locost and I love to drive it.
Its carbed at the moment, but hoping to go injected/Megasquirt this winter.
Good luck with the move to Alberta, (what part of Alberta?) if you havent already moved that is.

Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 38  Next