LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 14, 2018, 5:11 pm 

it's all lies i tell you, i am here in Arizona, what cylinder heads?

seriously though, i left them as removed, dirt and all for a reason, which now i can reveal, JD would have to strip and clean them.
knowing the things he gets up to, he may have just bolted them on and had a failure if they looked clean ( psychological warfare here )

JD is a jovial character like farther christmas with a moustache instead of a beard, perfect for his new grandchild and an all round great guy..,

i, to enjoyed our meeting, the prospect of many more and meeting James

i would have liked to make an appearance at the gathering but i have too many irons in the fire at the moment which is why i drove to Florida and back in 8 days having spent 2 days of that at my new house organizing much needed work like a new roof and windows also getting all the sheet rock removed from the walls and ceilings and employing my new best neighbor John to cut the 1/2 acre yard of the overgrown grass and volunteer trees.

the strange thing about the trip is fuel economy, sometimes getting 17+ to the gallon and other times getting !4 to the gallon, this was a large sampling of around 5000 miles, one can only assume that the calorific values of various brands of fuel varies widely as driving technique, weight of vehicle, terrain and climate were somewhat constant and given that the engine was in closed loop, ( never take a range rover on a long run without a scanner ) so left to make its own calibration adjustments would lead to the amount of energy in the fuel or lack of it

i also noticed that the further west i was, the better the economy, Texas for sure was the worst with regular economy figures in the very low 14's so it may be a regional thing as gas brands are not specific to a maker but merely what is on the pump, relying on the refinery for that region to supply gas to a specific standard.

i'm rambling again, enough to say that the next time i do this run i will be more vigilant as to what i buy and where from, 15% fluctuation is a lot.

so i give you JD, the honor of calling me John, or i will have to start calling you Mr Gonzo Sir and Master James, in my best English butlers accent don't you know.

pity that most Locosts don't have doors or i could say "i told you not to blow the bloody doors off"

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 14, 2018, 8:18 pm 
Toyotaphobe

It could very well have been the ethanol content. I found out my gas mileage went up when in Arkansas since I could be ehtanol free gas and you can't in Texas.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 16, 2018, 1:04 pm 
We are Slotus!

So... I compared John to movie star Michael Caine and he calls me Santa Claus with a moustache? I think I lost that round... :mrgreen:

Yep, lies, all lies! Those Edelbrock heads that John didn't bring from Arizona when he didn't drive out here to look at the house he's not moving to are all nice and shiny now after a good de-gasketing and general clean-up. They're going to the machine shop next week for a REAL cleaning and to make sure they're nice and flat on the bottom (as opposed to the way I like my women, but I digress...). Then we're gonna start re-assembling that motor. Hide and watch, y'all...

Lonnie- I keep meaning to weigh one of the old cast iron heads and a new AL-you-Minnie-um one to see how much weight loss the Slotus can expect (which equates to how many second-helpings of shrimp and grits I can have!). Little Jamie ("JJ") turned 2 in early April. Yeah, it does seem like just a moment ago when she was born. HamDip's twin sister, Hand Grenade, has a little boy ("Ducky") that turned 1 later in April, so I'm a Grandpa twice now. It's kinda cool...

Other'n that, things are just "Peachy" here!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 25, 2018, 9:45 pm 

John, I have found that terrain has a big impact on mileage, mountains giving the best results. I think the math works like this: 10 mpg going uphill, 40 going down. 25 average. While you were gassing with JD, we were headed to the west coast in the Alpine. Mountain driving boosted our mileage from low 30's to low 40's.

JD, as too your "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was" quote, I think this one fits you better: "I'm not the man I used to be, but I'm not so sure I ever was."

Bill

PostPosted: May 25, 2018, 10:13 pm 

BBlue wrote:
I think the math works like this: 10 mpg going uphill, 40 going down. 25 average.

This is almost literally true; I had one of the old 1970s "car computers" in my truck, and the numbers would drop down into the high single digits going uphill, mid 30s going downhill, averaging about 16mpg overall.

PostPosted: May 25, 2018, 10:14 pm 

[double tap again]

"Just because they make it in your size, that doesn't mean you should wear it."
- GonzoRacer, locostusa Nov 28, 2016

"Sometimes I think I'm too easily distracted. I was once told that my mind doesn't just wander, it runs around screaming in its underpants."
- David Gilbertson, Hackernoon blog 12/20/2016

"A plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
- Project Binky

Last edited by TRX on May 26, 2018, 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 26, 2018, 7:10 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, TRX!
You're double clutching again... Not that I haven't repeated myself in here often enough, but I usually wait a day or so in between. :mrgreen:

I owned an 88 Jag XJ6 (sedan) for a while there. It had the "on board computer" with a display on the dash. Stomp on it, make the big six roll and it would show 6-8 mpg. Coast down a long hill and it would go up into the 80's or higher. Once, coming down from the top of the bridge over the industrial canal outside of New Orleans, it read 99 mpg.

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 26, 2018, 9:34 am 

Yah, this forum is the only one where that happens. I hit the back arrow to go back to reading the thread after posting, except it tries to post the same
message again. Sometimes it gives a warning, sometimes it just does it.

I'll go back and change one...

PostPosted: May 26, 2018, 12:03 pm 

TRX wrote:
Yah, this forum is the only one where that happens. I hit the back arrow to go back to reading the thread after posting, except it tries to post the same
message again. Sometimes it gives a warning, sometimes it just does it.

I'll go back and change one...

i think that action is a recent "feature" update to the site. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 12, 2018, 11:19 pm 

Oh - my - god...! Or, should I say: "Oh our gods...!"...? - Don't want to leave anybody out...

Well, Mr GonzoRacer, Sir...
I have just spent the past several weeks, wading, ploughing through the 248 pages of your truly astonishing build-log, and I cannot let you get away without me saying how much I have so enjoyed the experience...

I have learned so much (how to avoid 18" wide slicks, and geckos...), and been entertained more (apart from too many mentions of grits - or should that be: 'Brits'...?), and been left (temporarily - I hope...) with great trepidation about starting my own build which, if I ever get going, will have to be completed much more quickly than some of the builds documented on this magical LocostUSA site, before I'm in danger of having my coffin dragged away on an unfinished frame pulled by half a dozen huskies.

And, on top of all that we also get introduced to your ever-expanding family, via your lovely photos, and oft-hilarious text.

For (about) the last 100 pages I've not known whether to cry (with sympathy for your fortnightly auto troubles), or die (before I'll get to try to emulate your build), but I thank you sincerely for your encouragement to others, which has rubbed off on me.

Many of the kind and generous souls (and some 'en-jin-ears'...) who have commented on your pages have also already assisted me by responding to my queries, and I hope I will receive continued support when I eventually start my own build-log - I will certainly need it. I started my current design fifteen years ago but was obliged to delay matters when my life turned around just a tad. Six months ago I resurrected this dream (that I've had for nigh on 60 years) and now have my fingers (and toes) well and truly crossed.

One little point, if I may... A little while back you spent some time here detailing the fab. of the anti-roll bar arms but, unless I missed a page (but I always just click 'Next'...), you never gave details or photos of how it was all connected, and worked, although I think I've sussed it out now, by checking other photos of the 'prow'... Just a thought...

But many thanks... MangPong.

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 9:14 am 

MangPong wrote:
the 248 pages of your truly astonishing build-log

Oh no!
Now it will be days before Mr. JD, Sir gets off cloud 9 and comes back down to our level :D

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 13, 2018, 10:34 am 
Toyotaphobe

horchoha wrote:
MangPong wrote:
the 248 pages of your truly astonishing build-log

Oh no!
Now it will be days before Mr. JD, Sir gets off cloud 9 and comes back down to our level :D

He's never been level. He's always been a little off kilter every since his mom dropped him on his head.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 15, 2018, 6:46 am 
We are Slotus!

MangPong wrote:
Well, Mr GonzoRacer, Sir...
I have just spent the past several weeks, wading, ploughing through the 248 pages of your truly astonishing build-log, and I cannot let you get away without me saying how much I have so enjoyed the experience...
(SNIP)
But many thanks... MangPong.

Yo, Mang-Scorpion Dude!
I'm kinda blown away by this post. Humbled, a bit... But first-

Carguy/David: In point of fact, I wasn't actually dropped. I got my head caught in the forks of a tree. My 84 lb Mama struggled to lift my 2-year-old husky self out of it, but she eventually did. My Dad later said it might have been quicker to cut down the tree.

Horchoha/Perry: Yeah, like I said, I'm kinda blown away. So sue me... :mrgreen:

OK, where were we? Oh, yeah... Back to you, MangPong-
I am, of course, pleased to hear that you enjoyed reading the build log/family album/sausage recipe/joke book that I've written. It has been a great experience for me, making long-distance friends all over the planet AND getting to talk about myself too. (What's not to like?!?!?!)

So far, I've gotten to actually meet Carguy/David and John Hennessey, both great guys. There's some other folk I've talked to on the phone, mostly Marcus/Horizenjob although Chuck did talk me through wiring up an alternator (I think it was...) But the main thing that sticks out about this group, pretty much all of them, is their willingness to share info, help out, encourage. Great bunch of people. Really... No kiddin'... :mrgreen:

One thing I've discovered and been amazed at along the way is the things that happen while you're just trying to build a car. James/Earl was pretty much a lifelong friend when I started this project. But now, because he was around the house, lived nearby and was pretty much a member of the family, today he actually IS a member of the family, my son-in-law and father of little JJ (Jamie) my grand-daughter. For that matter, TWWTFM is TWWTFM now because she didn't think I was a nut-job when I told her I was building a car. She asked questions. Helped me research parts on the interwebz and took pictures of me in my firesuit sitting on the big sketch of the frame. She also met James on our second date and didn't run away screaming. Who'd have imagined that building a car could have such far-flung ramifications?

But I'm rambling... Thank you for your kind and complimentary letter. I will get some pictures of that sway bar in the next day or two and post 'em up for inspection.

But, like I said on Page 1 (or somewhere) there comes a moment when you know you need to yell "Geronimo!" and jump off into the abyss and start building. DO NOT let that moment pass. You never know where that simple journey may lead you.

Peace, Love and "Who'd a-thunk it?"
JDK

PostPosted: June 15, 2018, 4:29 pm 

horchoha wrote:

Oh no!
Now it will be days before Mr. JD, Sir gets off cloud 9 and comes back down to our level

He got called "Sir".

He must have had shoes and a shirt on, sorry to here someone close passed away.

PostPosted: June 15, 2018, 5:47 pm 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
He got called "Sir".

He must have had shoes and a shirt on, sorry to here someone close passed away.
Now, THAT'S funny! :rofl:
Actually, I almost always have a shirt on. Pants, that's another story... Want pictures??? :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 316  Next