LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: August 14, 2018, 3:02 pm 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
those Norsemen, what a bunch of fun guys

I'd be cranky too if I ate lutefisk
Good point! Also, if a group of guys eats a dish mostly prepared with a big dose of Red Devil Lye and then a fight breaks out, I think I'll side with them. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 16, 2018, 1:29 pm 
We are Slotus!

***Harbor Freight Tool Review***
In order to install the fancy-schmancy timing sprockets and chain I bought, you have to countersink the bolt holes and use some bevel-head allen screws instead of the OEM bolts on the retaining ring for the cam. Earl took care of that little countersinking task at the machine shop where he works.

Then, according to various manuals, those fasteners are to be torqued to somewhere around 10 ft/lbs. Research showed anywhere from 9 to 12 but 10 seemed like a reasonable number. (A video from Late Model Restorations said "120 ft/lbs"... I listened to it three times and then read the transcript. That's actually what he said. Can't be right!)

The Crane Cams brand roller rockers I got from John Hennessey along with the cylinder heads also use allen screws as hold-downs. They will need to be torqued down to spec of 18 to 20 ft/lbs.

Net result of all that is that I needed some hex bits that could attach to my torque wrench. Being a cheap bastige and because we were having a "Family Dinner Nite" at Olive Garden that is a block away from Harbor Freight, I went there for the tools. Had to buy a 3/8 drive set because the 1/2 inch size didn't have the small one I needed for the retainer screws.

After dinner I went out to the shop to torque that retainer in place. First thing, my torque wrench doesn't have a "10 ft/lb" setting, lowest number is 20. I found my trusty old beam type that I bought in the year 19-Mumble-Mumble and pressed it into service. On the second pull, before the needle had moved, the end broke off the hex bit I was using. "Snap!" :ack:

So, I fished out the broken off bit with a magnet, grabbed a plain ol' allen wrench and tightened the little buggers to what I thought was about 10 ft/lbs. And, before anybody asks: Yes, I put the retainer on RIGHT SIDE UP! Used loctite too! :evil:

The plan for this evening is to install the rocker arms, using the 1/4 inch hex bit and a torque wrench. Stay tuned... Either way, I'm taking that junk back to HF. It's just a matter of whether or not the 1/4 bit breaks too! :BH:

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Snap!"-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 17, 2018, 7:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Slotus Faithful-
Things be happening around the shop. I might have made enough noise to run off Shop Snake. Maybe.

Backing up a bit, the nice UPS man done brought me a camshaft!
Attachment:
08 15 18 LUNATI.jpg
Which I wasted no time in installing in the ol' block.
Attachment:
08 15 18 Camshft Install.jpg
And then came the afore-mentioned retainer ring with the scientifically torqued allen screws. Sorry if the picture is a little fuzzy. So is the guy that took it...
Attachment:
08 16 18 Retainer Ring.jpg
Next up was the timing chain and the sprockets.
Attachment:
08 16 18 Timing Chain and Sprockets.jpg
Then lifters and pushrods-
Attachment:
08 16 18 Lifters N Pushrods.jpg

And there's more to come. Next thing should be rockers and at some point I'm gonna need to flip the whole mess over and install the oil pump and maybe the pan while I'm at it. I dunno about y'all, but I think this thang is starting to look like an engine...

Peace, Love and "Barbarian Mechanics"--
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 17, 2018, 9:38 am 

Mighty fine JD, mighty fine indeed.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 17, 2018, 11:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Thanks, Perry... I appreciate your support.

PostPosted: August 18, 2018, 10:51 am 

Looking good, JD.

I had pretty much made up my mind to let a local speed shop do my Phase II engine since I haven't done any rebuilds in a long, long time. But, hey, if this works out for you, I may reconsider doing it myself with some online assistance from the guys at ModdedMustang.com & V6Mustang.com.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 19, 2018, 6:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Thank you Lonnie...

And I don't mean to discourage you from doing your engine rebuild, but consider this one is a "do-over" for me after the first go-round didn't last very long. I like working on things and building but I'd rather be driving. Maybe put Engine #1 in the car, go for a ride, take the Missus along with you. Get some ice cream, go to the beach, visit a museum, listen to a band, drink some whiskey. Let the speed shop build #2 while you're gone. Really.

Love ya...
JDK

PostPosted: August 23, 2018, 10:00 am 
We are Slotus!

*One Step Forward and Two Steps... Awww Sh!t*
A couple of days ago, I went out to the shop. I was all a-flutter because the plan was to install the oil pump and the pan and then flip the lump right-side-up and pour a little oil in it and then spin the pump and see if everything worked with some oil pressure. (i.e. - roll the motor over and make sure pistons and valves played nice together.)

Welllll... Didn't happen. I had a brand new Melling oil pump to go with the rebuild. Had it a while, but it was still in the plastic wrapper and still in the box. Pulled that l'il jewel (I thought) out and installed it on the block using the new gasket and bolts. Then went to install the pickup tube on the lower flange on the pump. One bolt went right in. The other didn't want to start. Felt like it was the wrong size, too small, not catching the threads. Then one corner of that lower flange fell off, taking about 1/3 of the bolt hole with it. No wonder it wouldn't thread. Little cork-stacker was cracked to begin with, apparently. That's when the "Awww Sh!t" part came in.

There was one glimmer of hope, however. Summit Racing customer service was more'n happy to accept the return, even though I'd bought the thing in May, and will send me another one. The customer service guy I spoke to was named "Elwood" and understood when I asked if he had a brother named "Jake." When I was saying "Thank you" at the end of the conversation, he said, "Well, after all, I'm on a Mission from God." Cracked me up... Sort of like that oil pump...

So, we're waiting on the return pump. I did some cleaning of the chassis and sorting out various nuts/bolts/small parts last night. One of these days, maybe, I'm gonna put a motor back in that damn car... :BH:

Peace, Love and "You broke WHAT???"
JDK

PostPosted: August 23, 2018, 3:30 pm 

Hit it!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 23, 2018, 4:09 pm 

TRX wrote:
Hit it!

What could possibly go wrong?....

PostPosted: August 24, 2018, 6:31 am 
We are Slotus!

Dismantalus wrote:
What could possibly go wrong?....
Don't say that around here!!! I seem to have a way of answering that question with an example...

PostPosted: August 24, 2018, 8:20 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
"Fix the lighter." (everything that could have gone wrong had ALREADY gone wrong by the time they were on the way over the Soviet border)

PostPosted: August 29, 2018, 7:13 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Anybody there???
New oil pump arrived yesterday. Melling variety, in a nice un-wrinkled box. After work, I went out to the shop and put it together with the pickup tube and then installed the two bolts holding it on the block. No, I didn't forget the little driveshaft, put that in as well. I found that a dollop of the moly-grease you use on ARP fastener threads would hold it in place in the pump when I inverted the engine to install the oil pan.

After wriggling the little rubber strips into place on either end and then placing the gaskets, I put the oil pan on and installed the 16 or so bolts holding it. Took a minute or three because two of the larger bolts had migrated out of their zip lock baggie somehow and were sitting on top of the footbox. (How the hell???? Well, never mind, I found them...) Then took a step back and reached for a shop rag to wipe my hands and then... I saw the F*#&ing nut that goes on the longer stud on the middle main cap to hold the pickup tube in place. :BH: DAMMIT!

So, off came the 16 bolts and the pan. I put the F*#&ing nut on that F*#&ing stud and tightened it down. Made sure the rubber seals and the gasket pieces were in place and re-installed the pan. Then the F*#&ing 16 bolts went BACK in place. And then it was done. I think. Maybe. Stay tuned. Hide and watch...

Peace, Love and "That F*#&ing Nut"
JDK

PostPosted: August 29, 2018, 7:43 am 

JD, maybe you can take some solace in the fact that we have ALL been there.....Some of us (Cough, cough, myself included) more often than we would like to admit! At least you found it BEFORE you fired up that brand new engine!

PostPosted: August 29, 2018, 8:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Dismantalus wrote:
JD, maybe you can take some solace in the fact that we have ALL been there.....Some of us (Cough, cough, myself included) more often than we would like to admit! At least you found it BEFORE you fired up that brand new engine!
Yo! Dismantalus! Good to hear from you. Yeah, I guess everybody does stuff like that. I guess... I post all the Stoopid stuff I do partly to remind other folks ("Oh, wait, remember when Dumba$$ forgot that nut!?") and partly because I know y'all understand the feeling. :BH:

Remember how Red Green would say, "We're all in this together"? Yeah, sorta like that. :mrgreen:

JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 316  Next