LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: March 10, 2019, 9:12 am 

Quote:
Some time later, I realized why all the people that drove by were waving, laughing, even pointing... I was wearing my blue and white striped boxers and not much else. Oopsie...

That sounds to me like one of those Hempy moments. :ack: For those of you who don't go back about 8 years or so, you wouldn't understand. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 15, 2019, 7:15 am 
We are Slotus!

OK, now that we've discussed butt-scratching... On to lesser subjects, like the car... :mrgreen:

I had that tire clearance problem last event after lowering the ride height, remember? I had adjusted the height back up a bit and removed the rear bodywork at the track. To un-do the hasty adjustment, I went around the car and re-set the heights at all four corners. I pretty much left the front alone, just levelled things out a bit and both sides measured 2.25 like they had a few months back when I checked it. The rear got set at 3.125 on both corners with me in the car. That's a tiny bit lower than I had been running it.

Then on to the bodywork. I picked a number, 3, and raised the rear deck that much. I made foam pieces contoured to fit the leading edge of the rear deck, where it sits on the shoulder bar of the cage. Stacked 'em on there, stood back and stared. It looked a little funny, but the tires wouldn't rub, I'd gare-ron-tee.
Attachment:
03 14 19 Rear Body Lifted 3 Inches.jpg

Not totally happy with that, I cut it down to two inches and tried again. I think it's better... Still looks funny, but I guess I'll get used to it. Plus, the car will sit lower once I add my fat to the driver's seat. (Remember those pics where I tested the scales...) Here's the "2-Inch" picture:
Attachment:
03 14 19 Rear Body Lifted 2 Inches.jpg
Guess it really doesn't matter, as long as the tires don't rub, but I don't want the thing to look too fugly, ya know?

What do y'all think? I'm probably gonna fiberglass the foam pieces into place over the weekend. Honestly, I don't think I'll go any lower, just to make sure I got the clearance I need. But I never know when somebody in the group will come up with some revolutionary idea. Or some incredibly entertaining bad one...
Attachment:
Bad Idea but Good Time.jpg

Either way, lemme hear from ya! :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "3 Inches" --
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 15, 2019, 12:38 pm 

HEY! It's a race-car (At least that's what you keep tellin' us), who cares what it looks like as long as it works! I guess the "2" pic looks a little bit better, but not a whole lot of difference. What struck me from the photos was that big exhaust pipe dumping hot gasses onto the tire. Could that possibly be a problem some time in the future? Just askin'! :wink:

PostPosted: March 15, 2019, 1:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

ngpmike wrote:
HEY! It's a race-car (At least that's what you keep tellin' us), who cares what it looks like as long as it works! I guess the "2" pic looks a little bit better, but not a whole lot of difference. What struck me from the photos was that big exhaust pipe dumping hot gasses onto the tire. Could that possibly be a problem some time in the future? Just askin'! :wink:

Hi Mike!
Whenever somebody says "Is that your race car?" the response is always "Well, the biggest piece of it, anyway." :mrgreen: You're right, not a big difference, but I think I like the 2-inch version better.

When we first dreamed up that exhaust layout, Earl and I discussed that same thing about the exhaust aimed at the tires. There are a couple of things going on that make it OK. (IMHO, etc.) First thing is that the exhaust and most of the tire are out in the open, with plenty of air-flow whenever I'm moving. As opposed to trapped under the car and enclosed by fenders and such.

Second thing is that in autocross or track days or hill climbs, the car doesn't run for more than a few minutes at a time. If I was doing endurance racing or going for long drives on the street, then there'd be exhaust aimed at the tires for much longer duration and it might be an issue.

As it is, "it's a race car" (or at least the biggest piece of one :wink: ) and so getting those slicks all hot and sticky is a good thing!

Good hearin' from ya, Mike!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 16, 2019, 12:08 am 

:agree:

PostPosted: March 16, 2019, 8:17 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Since you are doing glass work anyway, might as well fill the sides in to bring the tire gap back and extend the front down. Holy monochromatic! Maybe some '57 chevy style metal trim on the side of the tail batman? Great scott!

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 16, 2019, 8:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Since you are doing glass work anyway, might as well fill the sides in to bring the tire gap back and extend the front down. Holy monochromatic! Maybe some '57 chevy style metal trim on the side of the tail batman? Great scott!
How about some green sparkle paint??? :mrgreen:

I think I'll try it out at a few events first, make sure the problem is actually fixed. After that, your idea about filling in the wheel opening a bit just might be the ticket. Thanks, MV8!

JDK

PostPosted: March 16, 2019, 10:09 pm 

Speaking of green sparkly I was going to paint my Locost this:(It looks better in real life)

Attachment:
IMG_0427.jpg

But this being a 'Locost' project I checked the price and I decided on blue. Rustoleum Deep Blue.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 18, 2019, 7:08 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Larry!
That is some cool and groovy green ya got there! But I know what you mean about the price of automotive paint, and the "sparkly" ones even more so. The majority of the black on the DogA$$Slotus is Rustoleum matte black for that reason. There's a Testor's model paint that is really close to the Grabber Green Metallic that I painted the frame with, so the flames on the nose and some other parts are painted with that. It works for touch-ups on the frame/roll cage as well.

But when Marcus told me about a sparkle-green aerosol from Rustoleum... Well... It just had to happen...
Attachment:
Rustoleum Glitter Green.JPG
The diffuser and parts of the rear frame got a re-spray a little while back.

There may be more in the near future... Martini stripes, anyone? :mrgreen: TWWTFM has stated in no uncertain terms that I am NOT to use that stuff on the RV, however. But then, she's not here all the time... :twisted:

Stay tuned!

Peace, Love and "Sparkle Paint" --
JDK

PostPosted: March 18, 2019, 10:35 am 

JD
The guys at Cars and Cameras used that Rustoleum glitter green on their rail project. It looks nice with some spray can clear on top.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 18, 2019, 12:33 pm 

So, JD, are you aiming to be the Liberace of Locost Design?
Attachment:
Liberace.jpg

Maybe you could do the Slotus in something like this, except grabber green?
Attachment:
Glitter Car.jpg

Cheers, and very dark eye glasses to you; :mrgreen:

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 18, 2019, 6:15 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
So, JD, are you aiming to be the Liberace of Locost Design?
Liberace? Nahhh, wrong piano player...
Attachment:
Leon and the Shelter People.jpg

Lonnie-S wrote:
Maybe you could do the Slotus in something like this, except grabber green?
I will neither confirm nor deny that accusation at this time... :mrgreen:

"Jumpin Jack Flash" Kemp

PostPosted: March 24, 2019, 9:29 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
I have been remiss in posting stuff that's been going on in the shop. It hasn't been very exciting, and I've been lazy and haven't taken any pictures lately... I finally concluded the raising of the rear deck and fenders this evening, almost... I still got to do some painting of the bodywork where it got worked on, sanded, 'glassed, or beat with a hammer. The deck/fenders are now riding a couple of inches higher off the tires, so we shouldn't have any more clearance problems. Maybe...

While all that exciting stuff was taking place, I have been noodling about with designing an aerodynamic wing for the rear of the car. You can find that conversation over in "Resources, Drawings and Computer Programs" in the main part of the forum. Suffice it to say, I'm learning a lot about wings... Or more accurately put, I'm finding out I don't know Jack Sh!t about wings... It's kinda fun figuring out new stuff. Chuck got me hooked up with some basic software that I've been using. Marcus has been a big help, and he actually knows this stuff, so I'm trying to pay attention. Stay tuned, this could be fun!

Peace, Love and "Foil Sim" --
JDK

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 1:14 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I'm finding out I don't know Jack Sh!t about wings...

I can't help myself.........

JD.......get yourself some Redbull because, wait for it

Redbull gives you wings!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now I can go to bed

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 25, 2019, 7:22 am 
We are Slotus!

We don't need no steenkin' wings...
Attachment:
Gives You HORNS.JPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 316  Next