LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 8:20 am 

Briggs wrote:

Asked her if she wanted to drive the kart. Was shocked at her response.

Attachment:
image.jpg

God I hope she isn't crazy...

Ding ding ding you have a winner!

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 10:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Briggs wrote:
Josh, they're all crazy, it's just a matter of degree.... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 1:35 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Briggs wrote:
Josh, they're all crazy, it's just a matter of degree.... :mrgreen:

Ain't that the truth.

PostPosted: May 24, 2015, 10:12 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Slotus Fans!
We cleared the first three hurdles today...
1) Got there
2) Passed tech
3) Got back to my paddock spot without breaking down or catching fire.

Speaking of paddock spots... Briggs, we're sitting next to the snack bar, SE corner of the paddock, near Turn 1.

See y'all tomorrow!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Last edited by GonzoRacer on May 25, 2015, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 25, 2015, 12:40 am 
The voice of reason

In the immortal words of John McGuinness when asked if he was ready for his race, the Isle of Man TT. "I went to bathroom. Twice."

PostPosted: May 25, 2015, 1:34 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Sloyus Fans!
1) Got there
2) Passed tech

Speaking of paddock spots... Briggs, we're sitting next to the snack bar, SE corner of the paddock, near Turn 1.

See y'all tomorrow!
JDK

It will just be me but I'll be there with my camera and my helmet. Room mate was out all night with friend that had an emergency and Gavin's wife had a death in the family.

I'll plan on leaving the house around 0900 so that should put me there around 1030ish. Looking forward to meeting you and TWWTFU. Hahaha

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 7:22 am 

Briggs wrote:

OMG you are so young and naive ;-) srsly, I am sitting here cracking up.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 9:53 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Slotus Fans!
1) Got there
2) Passed tech

See y'all tomorrow!
JDK

Speaking of tomorrow (which by now is yesterday), what happened???? Did the truck break down or catch fire on the way home? Did the Slotus' CV joints spill their giblets all over the racing surface? How was the food? Was there sausage or seafood (or both)? Inquiring minds need to know....

Oh, and did you get to do any drivin' of the black, purple and slotus racing green beast?

JustDreamin

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 6:23 pm 

robbovius wrote:
Briggs wrote:

Im not sure how to take this…

Ended up meeting JD there. He had some braking issues with the car. He had to replace the front right caliper. Good times and glad I was able to meet JD and the WWTFH as well as the slotus.

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 7:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

JustDreamin wrote:
Speaking of tomorrow (which by now is yesterday), what happened???? Did the truck break down or catch fire on the way home? Did the Slotus' CV joints spill their giblets all over the racing surface? How was the food? Was there sausage or seafood (or both)? Inquiring minds need to know....

Oh, and did you get to do any drivin' of the black, purple and slotus racing green beast?

Yo, Team Slotus!
Sorry for the delay... I was a tired white boy yesterday, and kinda sorta went to sleep right after dinner without posting anything.

Those "high points" I mentioned previously were almost the best part of the weekend.

I was in the first run group on Monday morning. That was fine, the weather was sunny but cool. Turns out the track was a little slippery at Turn 1 because of some oil from the weekend's Club Race. I got a little sidways on it one lap, so did several folks. First time lap, I thought the surface was kinda uneven or something, the car seemed upset when I got on the brakes. By the second lap, it was more obvious, the car was pulling to the right under braking. It got worse as the brakes got hotter. I pitted. Right front brake was smokin'... :evil:

There was also a really nasty vibration in the driveline somewhere. I'm wondering if a U-joint took a dump, or one of the just-balanced tires is actually un-balanced, or we got too much angle on the driveshaft. I don't think that last is it, as that driveshaft has seen some RPMs in autocrossing with no vibrations. Don't know, but I'm a-gonna find out... :evil:

After things cooled a bit, I was able to tell the rt front was not releasing properly. I could barely turn the wheel with nobody touching the brake pedal. My friends Bill Coffey and Bill Jr were next to us in the paddock and Bill Jr helped me (a lot!) with checking out the caliper and bleeding brakes and things. We found that there was no buildup of pressure in the caliper, nor any air (duhh...) but it wasn't releasing. Rather than take it apart, we just replaced it. TWWTFM found a NAPA store in Kershaw (10 minutes from the track), called them and got us a caliper (my front calipers are GM "Metric Chassis" parts). We went to town, got it and put it on the Slotus. (Best lookin' 1978 Malibu that brake caliper ever saw!)

Went back out, still had braking problems and of course the vibrations weren't any better. I did a few laps, trying different gears to see if the vibrations got better/worse. No difference. After being a rolling chicane for everybody else, I went back to the pits.

OK, one bright spot in the whole mess... Josh Briggs came down from Charlotte to see us. He turned out to be a fine young man, smart, personable (yeah, I know he's gonna see this... One size larger helmet for Briggs!) and TWWTFM and I both enjoyed chatting with him. He wouldn't take a sandwich when we had lunch... That ran counter to TWWTFM's maternal instinct to feed everybody. :mrgreen: Other'n that, it was a great visit, glad he came to see us. He also was a huge help in packing up and getting ready to leave, but that's not really why I'm sayin' nice stuff about him... Well, maybe a little...

OK, so it was kind of two steps forward and three back, but we'll get it figgered out and go try it again. Like the possum, we're too stupid to admit defeat, so we'll trundle onward until we get it right. Stay tuned, and keep the faith!!!

JDK

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 7:53 pm 

Briggs wrote:
robbovius wrote:

Im not sure how to take this…

Ended up meeting JD there. He had some braking issues with the car. He had to replace the front right caliper. Good times and glad I was able to meet JD and the WWTFH as well as the slotus.

All women are crazy, you just need to find the level of crazy that you can live with.
Kristian

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 7:58 pm 

Sorry to hear about your issues at the track, that sucks. I was going to ask how it went, but when Josh mentioned you had brake issues, I figured maybe I better not, just in case you were angry at the car. I'm sure you'll get this stuff figured out too.
Kristian

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 8:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

turbo_bird wrote:
just in case you were angry at the car.

Angry at the car? Nooooo, not me... I'm not angry at that feckin' pock marked son of a #@&*(+=)...
Nope, not me... :shock:

No worries, Buddy, we'll get it fixed. Thanks for lookin' in on things and for the concern.
JDK

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 9:01 pm 

Thanks for the kind words JD. :cheers:

PostPosted: May 26, 2015, 9:03 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I don't know why you got a new caliper. Parts left out mean less weight and less to go wrong.

And anyway YOU DON'T NEED NO STINKING BRAKES!

Brakes slow you up and I'm pretty sure the idea is to go fast.

Just think of how much better it would have held the road with the extra rearward bias in weight and less unsprung weight up front.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 316  Next