LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: May 16, 2012, 11:21 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus-
We went to the shop this evening, did some trimming and fitting of the interior panels, especially where the switch panel/fuse box is going to be mounted, and James did a little bit of work on the engine. Remember that missing MAP sensor that I mentioned the other day? Well, we had one with us tonight, and James hooked it up, fired the engine up and set the timing, and then we cut it off and added some lube to the trans and a bit of water to the radiator and here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nRnXyawtB0

Sounds a lot better, doncha tink? I sure do. :mrgreen: It sounded smoother still in person, the video from the phone sounds like a lot more "lope" in the exhaust than in real life... But, I'm likin' it... A LOT!!! :mrgreen:

I feel better now... Good night, Y'all!
:cheers:
JD "Up Past Bedtime" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 3:09 am 

That sweet sweet sound..im liken it alot also :mrgreen: :cheers: good job guys
kiwi Dave

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 6:15 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Congratulations Gonzo!

What cam specs? E303?

What did the 5.0l and injection come from?
Looks to be speed density.

How will you be tuning the oem computer to run with that cam?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 7:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi MV8-
Thanks for stopping by! The cam, and indeed everything in the engine, is totally stock Ford 302 H.O. out of a 1992 Lincoln LSC. I put 24 lb/hr injectors in, replacing the original 19 lb/hr ones. Harness, cam, heads, valves, etc, etc are original stuff. We "freshened" the motor a bit with new water pump, oil pump, seals and gaskets, and that's about it.

The sound on the recording is much more "lopey" than in person. It's open headers and loud, but it's much more steady than that recording sounds. Echoes/harmonics off the wall of the building, maybe???

I'm gonna use it "as is" while the chassis and suspension gets sorted out. We'll talk about mods at some later date, I'm sure...

Good hearing from you! Come on back any time!

JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 7:26 am 
We are Slotus!

laserracer wrote:
That sweet sweet sound..im liken it alot also :mrgreen: :cheers: good job guys
kiwi Dave

Thanks, Dave! It's 'bout time to hear yours running, isn't it???? :mrgreen:

Last edited by GonzoRacer on May 17, 2012, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 7:37 am 

I don't know much about it. I would imagine that using 24# injectors in a stock ECU would run pig rich until the O2 sensor got warmed and the ECU ran closed loop. No?

Just by the math, you would be now be running 10.3 a/f ratio at startup if you normally ran 13/1 (just a guess) at startup with the 19# injectors. At least that is what I would think.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 9:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Chuck-
You are correct, Sir. It would run pig rich :ack: until the O2 sensors kicked in... IF we had installed the O2 sensors at all! :shock:

The engine has open headers at this point, no exhaust installed at all, and no O2s in place. Not to worry, though, we'll get there... It'll run rich at cold start, but we can live with that for the time being. I figured that as soon as I modify the engine, I'm going to need the 24lb/hr injectors, and this way I don't have to buy a set now and another set when I hot-rod the motor. (Hopefully, about next winter!)

Thanks for the info!!!
JDK

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 9:13 am 

The ECU, if it's anything like the old GM ones I used to modify, would adjust the fuel injector timing for each RPM/MAP block and then remember what adjustments it made so that next time it would apply them right away. This would keep it from running excessively rich even when it was in open loop, after it was "trained" for a while. But, since you don't have an O2 sensor, that obviously won't happen. If you want it to run closer to normal mixtures, you could try lowering the fuel pressure a bit with an adjustable regulator, but don't go too well or the fuel won't atomize properly.

Anyway, it sounds great! Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 9:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Posthumane-
Howdy! Good to hear from you. Welcome to Team Slotus, the "cob end" of LocostUSA... :mrgreen:

Honestly, the ECU (or, as Ford called it, the PCM) is a total "black box" to me. James, who works at the Ford dealership, knows 'em inside out backwards and left-handed, and could probably comment on your post. Me? I'm just another pretty face... :mrgreen:

We're going to fit the exhaust and the O2 sensors pretty soon. Probably won't run the engine more than a few minutes until then, so altering the fuel pressure won't be necessary. I don't have an adjustable regulator installed anyway. (It could happen, though, just not at the moment.)

Thanks for stopping by! I've been looking in on your Ranger build a bit, looks like you're moving along. 8)

JD Kemp

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 12:46 pm 

Music, music, music! I like the lope! Sounds like its getting ready for take-off. Well done to both of ya! I'm gonna have to get me a James when the time comes.

And a very belated congratulations on your marriage. (From a very slow reader.) I don't know you well enough to call it a rare display of good sense, but I will anyway! :rofl:

Here's a belated gift to go with the belated congratulations, a badge for your bonnet:

I know that a certain "alt. mascot" has a lot of popular support, so this may not fly, but the instant I saw it, I thought, "this is Slotus!" And it's got good DNA. It's from an English, space-frame, 'Mercan engined coup of the '60's, the Gordon-Keeble. (You gotta admire a company with a badge like that.) As teens, a friend and I, tired of all the macho/predator car names, fantasized about designing and manufacturing a sportscar called the Albion Toady; but a turtle with victory wreath is tough to trump.

Peace, Love, and Lumpy Idle,

Pete

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 1:19 pm 

so why don't you put the 19 injectors back in for now?

does james have much knowledge about the pcm on a 2003 ford ranger (duratec), if so, i am in dyer need of his help because i have a code set and i think the fault is in the pcm.

pm me if you guys can help.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: May 17, 2012, 1:48 pm 
We are Slotus!

john hennessy wrote:
so why don't you put the 19 injectors back in for now?

does james have much knowledge about the pcm on a 2003 ford ranger (duratec), if so, i am in dyer need of his help because i have a code set and i think the fault is in the pcm.

pm me if you guys can help.

Hi John- The original injectors looked like doo-doo...

I'll check w/ James about the 03 Duratec Ranger, see if he thinks he can assist.

JD

PostPosted: May 18, 2012, 9:22 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Anybody out there???

The mailman brought me cool stuff today, courtesy of Botbasher. Lookie here:
Attachment:
5 18 12 Louvers.jpg
They're so shiny I have to wear shades! 8) Bot left plenty of "edge" around the louvers, like I'd requested, so I can trim 'em to fit wherever they wind up fittin'... I haven't started fabbing the hood yet, but they're going in there somewhere! They's too purty not to! :cheers: Thank you BotBasher!!!

And our man Botbasher had a little fun with the address label:
Attachment:
5 18 12 Address Label.jpg
And it got here, so I guess the US Postal Service knows me that way too... :mrgreen:

And so it's Friday nite in Slotus Land, we's waiting on Zheng's to deliver some Chinese food for dinner. We'll be going to the beach for the weekend early tomorrow. No work on the Slotus, but hey, it's TWWTFM's birthday tomorrow, we're going on a mini-vacation. :mrgreen:

I'll catch y'all later!
Peace, Love and Shrimp Curry-
JD Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 19, 2012, 1:26 am 

Wow that looks so cool..aaahh relaxing at the beach..sun,sand and water,..hope ya have a good time...HAPPY BIRTHDAY..GAYLE.. :cheers:

Kiwi Dave..sheep wrangler extraordinaire..

PostPosted: May 19, 2012, 9:14 am 

Sometimes a day away will prepare you for the next push. Who knows? You may even find some "inspiration" at the beach. You never know where the next great idea will come from.

Hey, you're married, not dead :cheers

Happy birthday Gayle. Really!!

To paraphrase a member here:

Peace, Love and swimsuits!
Chuck

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 316  Next